PDA

View Full Version : New C206

Zedd
8th Jun 2004, 09:49
Hello all,
Quick question. I lucky enough to be flying a brand new Cessna 206H in Zambia. It has only got 200 hours on it so far but i have some concerns. The most important is the oil consumption.

What is the correct oil consumption for this machine?

After every flight there is a film of oil over the pod that gets blown out a breather pipe, is this normal or not? Seems a little dodge to me!

The altimeter seems very inaccurate. At times it is accurate and others it is out. Whats up with that, has this been noticed by others?

Oher than that it is an incredible machine which i am absolutely loving.

Appreciate any help,

Cheers Zedd

Bullet Remington
12th Jun 2004, 17:24
Zedd:

Oil consumpstion on any piston pounder will vary, depending upon a number of things. power settings, time on the engine, how the driver operates the throttle/mixture, type of flying I.E. Type of strips operating from/to, type of loads (light/heavy etc,etc.

As for the specific H model, I've never flown nor operated that model. The only time I've ever experienced oil venting, was up in the great frozen north, and usually it was my fault (not impling this is the cause in your case)

Personally, were I flogging that thing around in the temps you are, I would be running the oil quantity a least 1 quart below indicated maximum, on the oil dip stick.

I do believe that machine is running a Cont. IO 520 or IO550?? If so, keep the oil quantity a quart below max. All cessna piston pounders I've flogged, always vented oil, when capacity was maintained at max.

Try that and let us know what happens. Then again, it is a relatively new machine. Who conducted the engine break in on it??

Good Luck, and always carry a couple of extra quarts of oil - cheap insurance to get ya back home.

Cheers

mainwheel
12th Jun 2004, 18:39
Zedd,

Hope your enjoying the 206. The landrover in my books.

What rate of oil consumption have you got worked out on an hourly basis? It may be normal.

You may have water somewhere in your static system, ask your engineers to have a look.

Flap Sup
17th Jun 2004, 10:08
Try posting this in the African forum. You'll be sure to get response there. It is the natural "home" of the 206.

/FS