PDA

View Full Version : height

andyman_82
8th Jun 2004, 01:04
hi i have a friend applying for a job with qantas and they want to know how strict they are on height. My friend is 162 cms so they are 1 cm short..anyone got any tips to get around this?? if you put your hair in a bun do they measure from the top of that?

thanks guys and gals

sinala1
8th Jun 2004, 06:33
I applied to QF long haul, on the application you have to indicate if you are outside their height restrictions (163-183cm). I am 193cm but have been flying on 737's for almost 3 years with no problems whatsoever... I believe the upper limit needs to be re-evaluated, as long haul crew fly on 767/747/A330 a/c which most certainly would not be inhibitive to someone of my height...

As far as the lower limit goes sorry I cant help!

Mr Seatback 2
8th Jun 2004, 07:01
They are pretty strict at QF...but sometimes it all just depends on who measures you!

I know of heaps of people who have circumvented the height requirement by flashing the right smile at the person conducting the height measurement at both AO and QF.

Sad, but true. Sometimes it's not what you do, or how well you do it, but who you know.

Sky_hi!
8th Jun 2004, 10:16
All I can think of is subtley take a deep breath, puff your chest out and shift your weight to your toes :E

Otherwise.... apparantly you are at your tallest when you get up in the morning.....so I've heard :}

Lets hope your friends interview is early in the morning

ShesGreatintheGalley
8th Jun 2004, 10:40
i have been to a QF interview where they made you remove your shoes and if you had a 'large' hairdo they either made you take your hair out or they pushed the measure right down to your scalp. those that were outside of the height restrictions got asked to leave.
But like everyone else said, it may depend on who does the meauring and if they think that 1cm is a huge difference. Your friend may also be actually undermeasuring herself by 1cm and not know it.. regardless, i would tell her to give it a go, she has nothing to lose by trying and if she really is 1cm less then i would lie on the application and make myself 1cm taller! After all, its 1cm, not 5cm!

mista
8th Jun 2004, 12:07
Hi Andyman and fellow readers,

Well god did not bless me with my height and I was initially worried that I was under the 163cm mark.

I had measured myself a few times andhad all different readings. I passed my recent height check with QF.

Trust me I think honestly if your friend is 1cm shorter they aren't going to tell her to go. I think we are talking alot more than 1 cm.

But I will admit I had thick wool socks on that day, maybe it helped me out. :ok:

Cheers,

Mista

Memetic
8th Jun 2004, 12:45
A young friend of my parents, now several years into a successful CC career, was rejected as she just failed to meet the minimum height requirement for a UK charter.

Being the determined type, she insisted she was the right height and asked if she got a medical certificate proving she was the right height would the take her. The airline said yes.

So off to the doctors to be measured in her socks, hair down etc.

No problem, just on the minimum height.

Once she got out of the doctors with her certificate she peeled the very thick sanitary towels off the soles of her feet and got in touch with her future bosses.

She has changed jobs more than once and never had a problem since.

overhere
10th Jun 2004, 02:17
QF are VERY strict on the height, you'll also have to pass the height check again at your medical too.

As for 193cm? QF's upper limit is 183cm and 193cm on a 737 would be VERY uncomfortable, unless you work on an airline with no TV monitors!!

sinala1
10th Jun 2004, 02:35
as far as 193cm goes, yeah I do work on a/c without overhead monitors so its fine! I dont see why their should be an upper limit in height for a/c bigger than 737's (eg 767, 747, A330 etc) unless you were about 220cm! A bit outdated really... Lets hope for change soon hey!

whatunion
11th Jun 2004, 13:44
thanks, i always wondered what sanitary towels were used for!

ps does she get taller once a month?