PDA

View Full Version : Nifty New Toy

goates
7th Jun 2004, 21:36
Apple has just released a new wireless toy called AirPort Express (http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/) that some people might be interested in. It allows you play your music collection using your stereo through a wireless network, share a USB printer or act as a portable base station.

goates

Naples Air Center, Inc.
8th Jun 2004, 14:33
goates,

I am waiting for the technology to catch up with streaming video wirelessly. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

Dop
8th Jun 2004, 14:45
Well thanks a bloomin' lot, goates...

There goes some more money on my credit card!!!!

Actually, I'd been thinking of getting something like that for ages. I have over 300 CDs worth on my iMac, and had run out of space for the CDs. Now I can move my CDs into the cupboard under the stairs and stream music off the computer.

There are other devices to do this, but the ones I've been looking at cost more and don't integrate as tightly with iTunes as this does. And if you wanted, you could buy more of these and put them in other rooms, so you can have your music all over the house.

The only thing we need now is some kind of remote control device so we can control what's playing wherever we are!

goates
8th Jun 2004, 14:46
From comments Steve Jobs has made elsewhere, I think that is exactly where Apple is going with this. The 802.11g wireless standard should be plenty of room for streaming wireless video to your TV. Somebody just needs to take advantage of that...

People mentioned that you needed to go back to your computer to change the song and wondered why there isn't a remote for this. When asked, Jobs just grinned and alluded to more products coming later this year. There will also be new iPods out sometime this year, hopefully this summer, which will probably work with Airport Express somehow.

goates

Naples Air Center, Inc.
8th Jun 2004, 15:20
goates,

802.11g falls just short of streaming video as needed for TV. The next spec out should solve it though. That is what I am waiting on. ;)

Take Care,

Richard