PDA

View Full Version : Financial aid for UK carriers

crewrest
15th Sep 2001, 18:46
Excuse the new thread Webmaster, but this one is UK Specific.

I've just written to my Local MP and Tony Blair about Financial aid for UK carriers in light of the moves of congress in the US to protect US Airlines in this terrible time.

For info:

Constituency Crawley
Sitting MP Laura Moffatt
Party Labour

Constituency Hayes and Harlington
Sitting MP Mr John McDonnell
Party Labour

You can e-mail these MPs from the site:
http://www.locata.co.uk/commons

I don't know if you wish to do the same.

Good luck everyone

Crewrest

basil fawlty
15th Sep 2001, 19:37
Well, UK farmers have been getting huge subsidy and "compensation" payments for years now, producing an excess of food that nobody needs. Airlines bring in massive ammounts of foreign currency and are therefore essential to the health of the economy. About time the air transport industry got some support.

Right Way Up
16th Sep 2001, 13:16
This is something all UK airline staff should be doing. The US are quite rightly trying to give their airlines some sort of protection in the aftermath of this weeks tragics events, and we should try to pressurise our government to do the same.

crewrest
16th Sep 2001, 20:32
This may be a daft thing to do, I really can't think of anything else at the moment, except hang on.

Indiana Jones
16th Sep 2001, 21:03
Hate to be a damper on all this, but lads/lasses it will never happen. I tried this back in the early 90's with the airport community at Gatwick, given Lockerbie,Gulf War and the UK governments insistance on a £52 million hold baggage screening mandate by the UK DETR in North and South terminal. I want the Government to give up sone of the Airport Departure Tax (APD), which is currently about £50 to the US and back between both Governments. Had them all listening, went right up to Parliament with it. The answer? We have a Road Tax that doesnt necessarily mean some of that money goes into building new and better roads. Ten years on...they were right!They dont! So LETS ALL START LOBBYING FOR MONEY OUT OF THE APD, BEFORE WE ARE ALL OUT OF A JOB!