PDA

View Full Version : Ozmates looking for work in Africa

ovum
7th Jun 2004, 11:31
G'day all!!

I made this post yesterday but 4pole kindly advised me that due to some tech problem it had been deleted...whilst I'm expecting this post to be possibly moved, I'm just looking to find out what's involved for an Aussie pilot looking for work in Africa regarding licence/rating conversions and minimum requirements for most companies??

I've looked all over the net and short of calling companies in Africa, I can't seem to find any info. I'm assuming there are pilots from either Australia or abroad Africa reading this who were in my shoes so if you have any info or advice for a young player it would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers in advance,

ovum :ok:

4HolerPoler
7th Jun 2004, 12:48
We had a thread running previously on this forum - Ozmates looking for work in Africa - was very useful for our antipodean mates looking to come over this way. Well with my hamfistedness (you should see me on the FMS!) while I was moving ovum's post to that thread the whole thread got nuked - so here it goes again - Ozmates & Kiwis are welcome to post here if you're looking at heading west & hopefully there will be a lot of useful info posted that may be of assistance.

Good luck fellas.

4HP

Stephen Stark
7th Jun 2004, 16:11
ovum

Check out the websiteSouth African Civil Aviation Authority (http://www.caa.co.za) for some info, and perhaps contact a local flying school - they should be able to help you with the info you need for a licence conversion. As for work, according to a thread in this forum, there is some in Tanzania and Botswana hires at the beginning of the year, around Feb/March. Lots of charter companies look for a minimum of 1000 TT, but in some countries with the relevant licence endorsements less would be accepted.

Good luck!!

S

PCFlyer
8th Jun 2004, 08:44
hmm ... what sort of prospects with 320 TT ? any at all?

do they actually pay you for a days work over there?

Stephen Stark
8th Jun 2004, 11:10
PC

There are prospects. My advice to you is contact companies in Maun (Botswana) in feb. That is about as far as i know!

Good luck

ovum
8th Jun 2004, 22:45
Thanks for that Stephen, good to get some feedback.

I've around 500TT at the moment so by Feb I'm hoping to have closer to 1000, as PC asked though, what is the pay like and how cheap is it to live? I guess if you can keep your head above water it's ok :ok:

cheers

Stephen Stark
9th Jun 2004, 06:36
PC and ovum

Pay in some jobs here is pure exploitation, some operators really give the least they can to allow you to eat bread but no butter, but on the brighter side of things in some places they pay in Benjamin Franklins and the quality of life over here is very good :ok:

Aussie FI 3A
20th Jun 2005, 00:11
Just wondering what the employment prospects in Africa would be for a guy with just over 1000 (mainly single) hours. Ive got 4 years industry exp in Australia including charter, instructing and low level. Ive done the "top end" wet season work and plenty of remote base time.

I want to get onto a twin fairly soon and dont mind about making bugger all money.

What countries / a/c would be the best for my experience?

Thanks

masseygrad
20th Jun 2005, 10:10
Its worth keeping in mind that for the following countries...

- Botswana
- Zambia
- Mozambique
- Tanzania
- Malawi
- Namibia

(I'm sure that the list is by no means exhaustive, these are just the countries that I'm familiar with the GA flying of)

...the majority of bush flying/charter is done by expat caucasion pilots. There are of cause a number of caucasion pilots who hold passports or permanent resident status of each of these countries. And they of course get preference for jobs. But still there is always need for foreign pilots. So pilots thinking of heading to Africa should remember that they will be in competition with other foreign pilots looking for work there. Many arrive with between 200 and 500 hours. Hours not the most important thing, as many PPRuNe threads will tell you. Personal character more important providing you meet a good flying standard. Ozzies and Kiwis generally put up an excellent showing relative to other nationalities. Lots of Brits and South Africans of course. And plenty of Europeans and Americans (not just from the USA) as well. Just because South Africans come from the same continent doesn't mean that they get preference for bush-flying jobs norther of the Limpopo. They are 'foreigners' up there as well!

'Top-end', 'bush' experience would put you in as good stead as anything else if you've never been to Africa before.

Bon chance.

Shrike200
20th Jun 2005, 18:23
And bear in mind that it's not like there's a massive pilot shortage....as said above, you will be competing with many others, hence salaries may not be any good.

You could perhaps think of shelling out for a B1900 rating, and try the contract companies, NAC, KAS, Solenta, ET, etc.

In fact, (as far as I know it's still the case), Solenta *requires* that you pay for your rating. That tends to thin the herd of applicants, so you may be in with a chance. You could go as big as an ATR if you're feeling wealthy, or go for a Van. In any case, they do employ expats (again, as far as I know), not just SA people.

Bart Simson
21st Jun 2005, 04:05
Ovum,

I spent 5 years in Jo'burg not sure if things have changes but down that way u will need to do all exams again. Only your hours will count.
Look up requirements for CPL because there are a few differences i.e. Night time, IF time.
Keep in mind that even singles require a seperate type rating in that part of the world.

Good Luck

:ok: :ok: :ok:

Cessnafan
23rd Jun 2005, 18:49
I think its rather sad how people are prepared to work for bugger all and prepared to pay for ratings, it just brings the whole market down for pilots! my opinion.

Shrike200
23rd Jun 2005, 21:08
I agree completely. I was just trying not to let my bias show! Imagine you asked another group of professionals (say mech/elec/civil engineers) to do the same: they'd laugh in your face!

Solenta in particular could have a brilliant setup. I hope some Solenta management types are listening: You have a company that allows fantastic career progression for young pilots, Van -> 1900 -> ATR. Don't make them pay, bond them! Train them up the way you want them, develope some common concepts through the SOP's/checklists (maybe you do already, I don't know), allow them to progress properly as they gain experience. You'll have a big pool of pilots to choose from, and all of them familiar with your SOP's. Make the senior guys with instructors ratings into training captains and senior pilots, and they can put their years of experience to use for YOUR benefit! Isn't this obvious? Surely Solenta is running into occasional pilot shortages? Anyone know?

contraxdog
24th Jun 2005, 00:42
Yes,Solenta does it, even RyanAir does it, maybe you, like me have been flying in the backwater and shtupholes of Africa, but even I noticed that it seemed to be the way the industry seem to be going. It works both ways. Once you paid, you can leave when ever the itch returns. I dont believe it does anything to bring "the industry down" if you pay to accelerate.It sets you free. You are going to have to fork out dead presidents if you want to go "walkabout" after having signed a bond in any case. Make a choice a new car, or a rating.Contirary to popular belief operators like pilots are also in this for the money.
Remember this (here) is not a profession, its a trade, like truck driving and bartending. Its all about experience.To make ourselves feel good we pretend it equal to having studied more and more, about less and less, for years, until we know everything about nothing. (Read Doctors and Engineers). Flying for beer money is equal to doing a apprentiship with a plumber or mechanic.

gamma69
28th Dec 2005, 06:42
Hey all,
Wondering if anyone can help out, looking at traveling to africa, for possible jobs. Any local knowledge would be great.

Have CIR, CPL, C208, C402, C310, B58,

Cheers for any help.

Mark J B
29th Dec 2005, 07:55
Head for Maun Botswana. The companies will be looking for the new season. Try Sefofane, ****** and Moremi Air if you have C208 time, but expect to fly C206 and C210 to start with. Some of the companies have Islanders if you want to build twin time.

By the way Ozmates, what is the industry like in OZ at the moment. Too many pilots or just not enough experienced pilots? Would someone with 3000 hours, 1800 multi, 500 turbo/prop and 800 jet (B737) find work?

I.R.PIRATE
29th Dec 2005, 08:00
Yes Yes, thought you'd never ask. There is tons of work for Ozmates in SA.

......anyone who has seen a cricket bat is eligible...

Solid Rust Twotter
29th Dec 2005, 08:11

I know those Parktown Prawns are monsters but being able to pick up a bat is a bit much...:ooh:

I.R.PIRATE
29th Dec 2005, 08:19
hehehe.....i just cant help it....:ok:

ok ok ok

Minimum requirements for Ozzies to wek in SA:

1. Have you seen a cricket(-)bat?
2. Can you bowl a maiden over??

Aw stuff it.....if you can spell cricket you're welcome.

Solid Rust Twotter
29th Dec 2005, 08:37
Boet, the way we're going, if they know someone who can spell krikkut, they're welcome...:(

Gouabafla
29th Dec 2005, 13:41
Presumably this is because all of the good saffers spent last summer winning the ashes for England!

MysticFlyer
29th Dec 2005, 16:27
Now who said that? :cool:

jetflite
22nd May 2006, 10:00
Does anyone have any information how Australian Pilots fixed wing
and Heli. . can obtain jobs in Africa ?
Or what sort of flying is normally offered?
Any help on who i can contact ?

Cheers,
JF

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd May 2006, 10:25
Do a search on this forum. You need to find posts relating to contract and bush flying as well as places like Maun, Botswana, Tanzania, Kenya. Plenty of info if you just look for it.

JUZ777
24th May 2006, 09:53
Can an Aussie still get there licence validated in any of thoes countries as i have heard that it is now harder to get done, if at all..!:confused:

Solid Rust Twotter
24th May 2006, 13:59
Shouldn't be too onerous. There's a bit of hoop jumping involved and the odd backhander depending on which country you're validating for but on the whole it should be pretty straightforward.:ok:

pilotads
15th Jan 2007, 23:33
G'day guys and gals
I'm thinking of applying for a few jobs over your way i was just wondering if you guys could give me a bit of help with where to look for jobs, the best way to apply, licence conversion from Aussie CPL. I've got 400 hours total CMIR all the little side courses, is it too early experience wise to be looking for work over there, I'm just after a steady job with maybe a good twin progresion

pilotads
16th Jan 2007, 23:32
By the way Ozmates, what is the industry like in OZ at the moment. Too many pilots or just not enough experienced pilots? Would someone with 3000 hours, 1800 multi, 500 turbo/prop and 800 jet (B737) find work?
If you came to OZ with those hours you should be able to jump straight into a turbo prop job, RPT and if you have friends in virgin get a few stars next to your name

Cheers guys. I'm looking forward to heading over there if only for a holiday in the end

Joe Yellow
27th Jan 2007, 23:28
G'day all,
I am new Aussie CPL with 221 hours and looking at the possibility of trying to find work in Botswana, although probably towards the end of this year. Just wondering what the status quo is in Maun, the best time to look, details of currently operating companies etc. Have done a search on this topic, however looking for up to date information. PM me if you prefer.

Thanks.:ok:

kquirk
15th Aug 2007, 13:09
7500 hr total and 4000hr DHC6 Command A.T.P.L. can anyone use me at the the right rate. [email protected]

Contract Dog
15th Aug 2007, 14:08
put your details on the "jobs in africa" thread, the guys do watch it and you will get offers. Solenta is looking for a twotter driver in Sudan but you may have a problem with age as it is a UN contract and they have a 60 limit, but they can get approval from new york with a bit of luck.

good luck

Dog

Safetyman
15th Aug 2007, 14:49
Solenta also has another non - UN Twotter in DRC, try them at [email protected]