PDA

View Full Version : Fuel cost rises hit Easyjet share price

newswatcher
7th Jun 2004, 08:36
Fuel (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3782403.stm) worries hit Easyjet.

In the article, Ray Webster claims that Easyjet is Europe's number one low-cost airline On the Ryanair site it saysOur Financial Reports illustrate why Ryanair is Europe's No. 1 Low Fares airline
Well I guess one of them is right!!:confused:In case anyone is confused, the "Webster" quote has been removed from the later article!

WHBM
7th Jun 2004, 09:06
Why would higher fuel prices hit one airline (Easyjet) rather than all airlines' costs and therefore share prices equally ? The linked article writes like it is just an Easyjet problem.

Jordan D
7th Jun 2004, 09:45
Not sure that it would affect them uniquely, but they have been going on for a while now that they would not rise prices (or add a fuel levy like BA/Virgin/SQ/etc.), and so the stock market was a bit surprised when they came out this morning and said that actually it would affect them ... QED share price slumped by 20% ...

Jordan

LGS6753
7th Jun 2004, 19:25
Some airlines 'hedge' fuel purchases, i.e. they agree in advance how much they will buy/how much they will pay. But not all airlines do. Also the periods over which airlines 'hedge' vary, so an advantageous 'hedge' will eventually expire, causing their costs to increase/decrease suddenly.
EZY have been very open about their hedging prices (on their website) which I would consider to be highly confidential.
My guess is that this exercise is about conditioning the market to expect a lower profit figure, so that it can be 'beaten' in the event.