PDA

View Full Version : Very impressed by French contribution to D-Day

Kiting for Boys
6th Jun 2004, 15:43
celebrations. Is it me or does there seem to be a major underplaying of the role of the British, Canadians and Americans who were involved in the real D-Day as portrayed by the French today? Lots of French bands and aircraft (six UK and four US?) and loads of Euro-guff.

Loved the Croatian flag party in Ruritanian stylee though.

Real message lost - our genuine respect for the brave men who landed 60 years ago.

Beeayeate
6th Jun 2004, 17:10
Got to like the way the French painted D-Day stripes on the fourth Mirage in the 1st set. :ok:

Bill O'Average
6th Jun 2004, 18:18
So it will be the first time ever that a French aircraft has had invasion markings on it?

Beeayeate
6th Jun 2004, 18:38
Very droll. :rolleyes:

Pilgrim101
6th Jun 2004, 19:26
Well, not since 1066 ! "Keep your eye on that one Harold !" :8

Wolf11
6th Jun 2004, 20:52
After all those French aircraft ,I was expecting a large UK/US formation at the end,say Tornadoes/Harriers/F15,s etc ....so was somewhat amazed at just the reds(at the begining) and 4 A-10,s last.

I know the F-15s from Lakenheath did lots of stuff last weekend .. Belgium etc ..but was suprised not to see them in the flypast as they are uk based ,unlike the A-10,s .

I suppose the French wanted people to see they have fast jets ...as they never use them :p

Wolf;)

InTgreen
7th Jun 2004, 12:17
Was it just me or did the President of the United States get a standing ovation as he took his seat..... and no other country's leader did???

Shame to see Tony in the cheap seats in the second row though:E

Smoketoomuch
7th Jun 2004, 14:45
Stars of the show? The hundreds of 80+ year olds, marching better than some armies made up of people a quarter of their age and when interviewed displaying nothing but quiet dignity and modesty. No boasting, no bravado, no claims to heroism.

Bloody heroes the lot of them.

polyglory
7th Jun 2004, 19:56
I quite agree Smoketoomuch,

It is a great pity the the inept Pollies, do not follow their example.

Straight Up Again
7th Jun 2004, 23:00
I had to love the guy, who, when introduced to John Howard (Aussie PM), said straight out and loud "I don't even know who you are". Looked great on the evening news over here.

Nice to see people who still have true dignity and honour, it's a shame they were made to mix with politicians.

Immense respect for all who hit those beaches.

MadsDad
8th Jun 2004, 06:55
Nice story in this mornings papers. One of the vets was trying to get back to Paris so he got on a bus he thought was heading that way but it wasn't and he ended up stranded at the local airport.

He looked round and saw some bloke with 'lots of gold braid on' so he went and told him the story. The bloke turned out to be with Chirac's party, made a couple of calls and Chirac gave him a lift back to Paris on one of the presidential aircraft. And gave orders that the vet be driven to his hotel. :ok:

Can't see this anyone in this government doing that.

maxburner
8th Jun 2004, 08:22
I have to say that Chirac's speech brought a lump to the throat. Dignified and very respectful of the heroes who took part in the recapture of Europe and in particular D Day.

Arkroyal
8th Jun 2004, 09:27
Was it just me, or did anyone else get p:mad: d off by Huw (boyo) Edwards constantly referring to the oggin behind him as the Atlantic ocean.

Geography not taught in Welsh schools?

Hats off to those quiet, dignified heroes. I know a bloke who drove a Sherman up the beach on 6/6/44 who doesn't reckon his contribution really counts as it was in the afternoon!

PPRuNe Pop
8th Jun 2004, 10:15
You know what? I don't care when it was. It was the business in hand that mattered and HE mattered. I thank them one and all and wish I could do it personally. I have to a few of the few but those guys wading up the beaches with full metal jackets coming their way were the bravest of the brave. Bless them all.

Scud-U-Like
8th Jun 2004, 11:13
MadsDad

Yes, it's a very heartwarming tale of French hospitality:

How D-Day Veteran Hitched a Lift with a President (http://www.guardian.co.uk/secondworldwar/story/0,14058,1233777,00.html)

As for Brit politicians, not quite the same circs, but I seem to recall that, while Prime Minister, John Major gave a stranded Tony Benn an impromptu lift back on a 32 (Royal) Sqn ac. I think it was from John Smith's funeral.