PDA

View Full Version : Question: Can I put cans in the hold?

Tranceaddict
6th Jun 2004, 12:59
Hi

Is it OK to put cans of drink (coke, beer etc) in my hold luggage?

Will the explode or are they a danger?

Many thanks for any answers

Notso Fantastic
6th Jun 2004, 13:54
They're slightly more likely to pop open (case getting dropped), but otherwise fine.

Jerricho
6th Jun 2004, 15:29
I've always been very hesitant with putting that sort of thing in my checked luggage. Along the lines of Notso's post, I am constantly amazed at how things manage to get squeezed and broken, and manage to soak everything else in the bag!

Tranceaddict
6th Jun 2004, 16:08
Thanks for your replys

I appreciate that things may get squashed, damaged and broken by airport conveyors, baggage handlers and reclaim sysytems, it was more the pressurised can of drink in an un-pressureised hold I was concerend about, could it actually explode?

Notso Fantastic
6th Jun 2004, 16:11
....holds are pressurised.... and heated. We even carry animals and fruit and veg down there. All you have to worry about is having coke leak onto your clothes if it bursts or leaks, and they do.......very occasionally.

mutt
6th Jun 2004, 20:05
I have to ask, why would you want to????

MUTT.

Tranceaddict
6th Jun 2004, 21:52
Self catering 3 day stag party to Palma, trying to save as much money as I can by takeing my own beer!!!

errrr sorry coke :O

niknak
6th Jun 2004, 22:15
Unless you plan to take no clothes at all, don't bother.

3 days supply of beer at any decent stag do is more than you, I, or if it comes to that, any known aeroplane, could carry.

Buy it locally, cold and cheap. :ok:

PPRuNe Pop
7th Jun 2004, 19:41
To be on the safe side. I would not put cans in a hold case. If it is scanned and the cans show up I could imagine a few raised eybrows, not to put a too finer point on it.

Could leave to you and your bags being dumped. Not worth the hassle or the chance.

Frankfurt_Cowboy
7th Jun 2004, 19:47
And think of the excess baggage charge, best buy your San Miguel there.

clearthedecks
7th Jun 2004, 19:58
Sorry to drift off the subject slightly, but would it not be cheaper to buy your beer there?