PDA

View Full Version : N Reg Charter Or Not?

ROLLERSKATE
6th Jun 2004, 12:57
I am lucky enough to be upgrading my piston aircraft to a small jet (ie C525) later this year for use privately with my business. I currently fly under my FAA license so will be looking at keeping the aircraft on the N register. My question is this: Will I be able to put an N reg aircraft on an AOC so I can recoup some costs by hiring out for charter in the UK?

Cathar
6th Jun 2004, 14:20
Except in exceptional circumstances UK AOC holders are required to operate G reg aircraft. The operator of a N reg aircraft wishing to conduct public transport operations to, from or within the UK would also require a permit from the Department of Transport (see article 113 of the ANO) and they may be reluctant to give such permission if the aircraft is based in the UK.

FLEXJET
6th Jun 2004, 14:31
My advice is to find some co-owners / users to share the costs with.

ROLLERSKATE
6th Jun 2004, 14:38
Cathar, I dont want to have an AOC myself, but would I be stopped from hiring the aircraft to a UK operator who had their own AOC?

Cathar
6th Jun 2004, 16:16
Yes. See the CAA's Official Record Series 1 Part 1: Operating Licences: http://www.caa.co.uk/cpg/airline_licensing/airline_regs/default.asp?page=737

Paragraph 7 states that "In the United Kingdom the Secretary of State has decided that holders of Operating Licences issued by the CAA must use aircraft registered in the United Kingdom." Waivers can be granted from the requirement to use UK-registered aircraft but these are only given in exceptional circumstances, usually to cover short term situations.