PDA

View Full Version : Most crashed type?

Bird Strike
6th Jun 2004, 02:59
Does anyone know what type (as in PA28, C210 etc) of aircraft has the highest "write-off/number registered" ratio?

Just curious.

flyby_kiwi
6th Jun 2004, 05:20
Its gotta be an R22, H269 or an FU-24 :ouch:

OzExpat
6th Jun 2004, 05:40
If you're after the sort of information that I suspect yer after Birdy, you might need to be a bit more specific. Otherwise, the "most crashed" type statistics are likely to include a majority of instances of so-called "pilot error". I think that what you might be after is the type, or types, that might be less reliable than any other.

You might be better off doing some research on the ATSB web site, or whatever it's called these days.

Bird Strike
6th Jun 2004, 08:36
Yeah OzEx I did think about the "pilot error" element, but then I thought, OK pilot error could be included anyway, to get the ratio regardless of the cause. I realised that I'm not really after the reliability info of each aircraft type. (I thought about that, then realised "pilot-prevented-accident" element may reduce the accident rate for damn unreliable equipment anyway :E )

ATSB site doesn't seem to offer any statistical information :\

Flyingscarecrow
6th Jun 2004, 09:56
I remember reading in a US GA mag that the 2 'most crashed/hrs flown' types were the Pressurised 210 and Piper Malibu Mirage. I think it quoted something like lots of low time, low recency owner operator PPLs combining with a fairly complex and quick machine as being contributors.
Please don't quote me as it's going quite a ways back thru the memory banks.
Maybe try the FAA website or american websites, there seem to be endless studies of this type over there.
Hope it helps.

Richo
6th Jun 2004, 12:26
Sorry birdy could'nt help my self.

I suppose that the ratio of registered to written off would be a good enough place to start. I don't have the figures but you can get the number of aircraft types from the CASA web site under the aircraft register, and then do a search for crash by aircraft type on the ATSB site (if its avaialble as it is on the NTSB site).

This would give you a start point for your research.

Anecdotialy the most common types on the Aussie register are the C172 follwed by the PA28 and there are a lot of crashes in these types, but they certinaly don't have the worst record.

Again anecdotialy I think you will find the following, which is my guess, are well represented with prangs to number on register :

MU2 (love em or hate em)
Lancair/Glassair Turbine conversions (not good)
R22 ( well thay are just a horse/motorbike after all)
Some of the cropduster types, (say no more)

Lots of aircraft have reputations like the chippie (DHC1) for spinning and the MU2 for ice but are very safe to operate when this is considered.

My favourite generalisim is the A36(bonanza) and the Doctors who seem to love bying them as much as crashing them.

PS the most dangerous aircraft is the one that is in the air and I am on board, cause its the one most likely to hurt me.

hypersonicsnail
7th Jun 2004, 07:15
From what I know, the most crashed type is a tiger moth, but given the types length of service and all, its probebly not the answer to your question:8

Bird Strike
7th Jun 2004, 09:08
Thanks for your help & suggestions, guys!

Interesting stuff. I'll have a look at FAA/US sites and see what I can find.

Richo, you mean like "V-tail doctor killer" (any truth in that? I've heard about Bonanza and doctors crashing them)?

P.S. Funny usernames, "herpersonicsnal" and "Flyingscarecrow" :}

currawong
7th Jun 2004, 11:39
Birdstrike,

Have you considered contacting the folks that do Hull Insurance?

Cannot mention names here of course.:E

They are right into stats, and if your enquiries are general enough and not likely to be of use to a competitor, they might share.

For my money, most prangs/hours flown would be kitset "Baby Bell" chopper, closely followed by Holden Utes.:}

Cloud Cutter
7th Jun 2004, 22:43
Did any of you Kiwis see in the latest Vector that some unlucky old (18000 hr) ag pilot pranged two FU24s in a couple of months. Gutted!:{

tinpis
8th Jun 2004, 06:11
Woulda thought the most crashed type to be FS 2002

bypasspin
8th Jun 2004, 07:02
anything with boobs in it?

Ralph the Bong
8th Jun 2004, 09:41
G'Day Flying S.C. I think I read the samew article from "Aviation Consummer", about 15 years ago.

They did a survey of common types in use and how often they crashed/flying hour.

The results were very interesting. The least safe/most safe in each categoiry were, from memory:

2 place: single Grumman/C152.

4 place fixed gear SE: Grumman Tiger/C172.

SE Retract.: V-Tail Bonanza+Piper lance(equal last)/C210.

Piston twin: C411+ Aerostar/PA31.

Light Turbo prop: MU2/Kingair.

Small Jet. Lear 24+25/ Cessna Citation.

The cynics amongst us might suspect that the survey was sponsored by a manufacturer in Witchita! However the results make some sense:

Grummans: Pathetic, fragile nose wheel, low aspect ratio wing. Funny fule system vs. Cessna singles: High wing, stable, stone simple fuel switching, robust construction, docile handling.

V-Tail Bonanza: well, say no more!

C411: and Aerostar: guesome SE performance: C411 has a "rubics cube" fuel system. PA 31 so simple even I could fly it.

MU2: they dont call it the "Widow maker" for nuthin'! High wing loading , heaps of anhedral, spoiler things that make it turn, won't carry enough ice to chill a Bundy and Coke. Kingair: easy systems and stable and forgiving as a Presbyterian Minister's
wife.

LR24: well... a rocket apparently, like a fighter. Probably explains why it came last. Citation: Not really a jet anyway, but what the hey!!??:D

Wheeler
11th Jun 2004, 11:01
'V-Tail Bonanza: well, say no more!'

Huh?

slamer
12th Jun 2004, 07:48
Possibly/Probably, Harvard or Tigermoth

Dog One
12th Jun 2004, 23:25
Duck of Swamp fame!

VH-ABC
13th Jun 2004, 02:08
How about anything flown by the "Devine Wind" boys...

In the space of 45 minutes on 7th December,1941, 321 aircraft (Mitsubishi A5M, A6M, Ki21, G3M and Nakajima Ki27's) were bent.

Apparently, they were also quite hard to fly, and with only a week of flying training behind them, they probably would have crashed anyway.

captmicka
13th Jun 2004, 04:34
vh-abc,
a week woud have been the standard training program back in the 40's haha. god bless the blokes who risked everything just to fly

CoodaShooda
13th Jun 2004, 07:12
9 hours total time to become an instructor in 1916.

But VH-ABC, I think you might be a little bit out in your time frame.

The gentlemen flying the Mitsubishis, Aichis, Nakajimas etc on 7 December 1941 were still able to use them to knock the stuffing out of Darwin on 19 February 1942.

QNIM
14th Jun 2004, 07:32
Gday CoodaShooda
Tiger Moths around our area are way ahead two in one accident lately.
Cheers Q :p

Tarboy
14th Jun 2004, 10:05
Yeah QNIM,
They are both advertised for sale in this month's Aviation Trader but there's no mention of an accident history.
Tarboy

rotornut
18th Jun 2004, 19:33
B-17 or Lancaster?

Flyingscarecrow
19th Jun 2004, 11:48
Sorry haven't got access to an Av Trader. What are they asking? The Jackaroo involved was one of only 2/3 left flying in the world. Must be some sucker in the U.K. willing to pay premium for it!!! :}

Tarboy
21st Jun 2004, 12:23
Flyingscarecrow,
Here's the ad.
Phone 'em up.
The one that's half restored was fully restored prior to April 25th.

TIGER MOTH DH-82A. VGC. In CHT. Plus I've got one half restored, best offer, plus spare parts available.
Ph (03) 5261 4010.

captmicka
21st Jun 2004, 12:46
hmm most crashed a/c. maybe on average the wright flyer haha

cdf
21st Jun 2004, 13:41
The most crashed a/c, thats easy - anyone with a pilot at the controls (pilot error ring a bell)

Muttley Crew
21st Jun 2004, 19:55
How about Indian Air Force Mig-21s. Check this (http://www.warbirdsofindia.com/Crashes/) out....

:uhoh: