PDA

View Full Version : CV cover letters

splatgothebugs
6th Jun 2004, 00:26
Hey all, just wondering I heard once that a good cover letter to your CV can make the difference between the future employer reading your CV or binning it.

Any ideas on what a good cover letter should incorporate?

splat:ok:

High Wing Drifter
6th Jun 2004, 08:27
Not sure if I am going to be shot down with this. I'll kick it off to get the debate going with:

Keep it short, concise and professional. The cover letter is should simply state what position you are after. Don't talk abut availability. Your CV tells them if you maybe suitable. Stick religiously to the correct format with date top right. Full recipient details left/ Full sender details right. Contact detail (phone/email/etc) underneath sender address right hand side.

As for the letter bit:-

Dear Capt Richards,

Please find my Curriculum Vitea enclosed for the position of Junior First Officer.

Should you require further information or have any queries then please feel free to contact me at any time.

Yours sincerely,
XXX

Alternatively:

Dear Madam or Sir,

Blah, blah.

Yours faithfully,
XXX

The big question is. Hand-written or type written. To determine that I would say that if the letter goes to a department then type written. If it goes to an individual then hand written. Difficult one that.

EGCC4284
10th Jun 2004, 09:34
You may be interested in reading the following post

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97111

er82
10th Jun 2004, 10:32
and make sure all spelling/grammar is correct...
curriculum vitae!

get someone to read over it. It's easy to miss mistakes when you write a letter yourself.

Jinkster
10th Jun 2004, 17:33
HWD,

Have to agree with you there. I imagine - a thousand letters sitting in the personell office of some airline company.

Would you like to read:

Dear Sir/ Madam,

I am blah blah blah, I have been blah, blah, blah, oh what a loverly morning, waffle waffle etc etc.

The file system B1n rings a bell!!

Keep it short and to the point.

Jinkster
;)