PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Abort at ZHCH

Lindstrim
6th Jun 2004, 00:22
Was dropping the other half off at the domestic terminal and thought might be an idea to go up and have a look around and a Qantas 737 taxi from the gate out to the runway and start rolling but then it aborted and returned to the gate. Just wondering does anyone know what happened I think it was approx 1530-1600 on Friday.

I just want to know what happened if anyone knows anything because it caught my eye that it happened.

Thanks Lindstrim

The Other Half
6th Jun 2004, 06:25
I miss you honey :} :D :ouch:

chimbu warrior
6th Jun 2004, 07:58
Hate to be picky, but I think that might be NZCH.

Pilot probably forgot his lunchbox.............

Lindstrim
6th Jun 2004, 08:18
The other half; , no not you, and thanks i ment it to be NZCH not whatever I put.

phat boy
6th Jun 2004, 12:26
I was there in Zurich that day and I saw the whole thing and it was exactly like that because the capt thought he saw a hobbit crossing the runway and put his own big hairy unshaven bare feet on the pedals and hit the brakes and aborted the take off right then and there and all the sheep-bothering local in-bred orcs down the back fell off their seats and slid up into a pile behind the cockpit door like chups un a fush shop beskit.

Choice hey bro........... :ok:

Lindstrim
6th Jun 2004, 12:42
Im asking a serious question I would like to know what happened!!!!!!!!!!! I know I made a mistake but i was corrected ( thanks chimbu warrior).

phat boy
6th Jun 2004, 12:58
ok ok fair enough. Here's what really happened:

He was rolling down the runway. He looks out at the paddock and sees a wooly piece of fluff standing in the grass having dinner. He doesn't recognise her and is pretty sure she's a new one.

As he jams on the skids he mutters to himself, "I'm gonna run over theer and git steck unto one of thim choice honeys, eh Bro!"

And the First Orc says to him, "But Sir why don't you WALK over and have ALL of them???"

yeah I know, it's an oldie :hmm:

redsnail
6th Jun 2004, 15:51
Zurich-Kloten is LSZH :D

Disco Stu
6th Jun 2004, 22:50
Lindstim wants to know why

I want to know why it matters

I also would like to know "Who cares"

Hardly an important occurence otherwise someone would be screaming to the press "I thought I was gunna die"

Disco Stu:\

splatgothebugs
6th Jun 2004, 23:30
Give the lad/lady a break, they saw a 733 abort at NZCH and they would like to know why.

Theres nothing wrong with what they are asking so unless you all have something constructive to say disappear.

After all thats what this forum is about. ASKING QUESTIONS.

Sorry Lindstrim I have no idea what happened.

splat :ok:

Disco Stu
6th Jun 2004, 23:55
The 737 returned to the terminal because the Captian commanded it to do so.

There are numerous reasons why a Captain would do such a thing, all within his authority and responsibility.

You are now welcome to second guess the Captains actions.

Better still, contact the airline and ask them for an explanation. It's the actions of their aircraft and staff that you are questioning.

Disco Stu
:ok:

mai mai
7th Jun 2004, 00:37
mind your tongue phatty,

that is my bit of fluff you are talking about.............

there is some strength behind 7750 comment about this being for professionals....all lindstrim asked was what happened, not "was the captain right in coming back" not 'are the staff at qantarse incompetent because why else would they return', his question was simple and the simple answer is "apparently" that the crew had recieved the 'return to the ramp light' on one of the many warning systems in the office of the damned if you do it and damned if you dont do it! they departed shortly after i believe. correctable though.

seems you will be called lynch-him now instead of lindstrim.

enough sheep jokes.........more bob hawke impersonations!!

patriotism is the virtue of the vicious

mai mai

Lindstrim
7th Jun 2004, 02:28
Im not going to press this any further because noone seems to care (Disco Stu). I saw nothing abnormal in the take off roll ( ie no flames from engine, no birds flying close to the aircraft) so that is why I asked. Also I would NEVER second guess an Aircraft commander because they have the training and the ability to decide what happens to the aircraft and I respect that.

Belgique
9th Jun 2004, 14:43
I believe it was because they thought that the airfield lighting might have been about to fail.

I had something similar the other day when I abandoned a flight and returned because I thought that an oil pressure light might be about to come on. You just can't be too careful about these things. It's always far better to turn around, come back and get it checked out by the professionals.

However as it turned out, that was me because I was doing my own maint preflight. After explaining the potential glitch to myself I reassured myself that the light checked out OK (it was Press-to-test) and we were off again. On the next attempt to get off I had similar reservations about something else that I thought might be about to happen and ended up blowing a tyre on take-off. When we got back to the tarmac I switched hats again and explained to myself that that is what can happen when you allow your expectations to affect your judgement. After a short investigation I determined that the belief that something might be about to go wrong on take-off had caused the pilot to remain on the brakes during the take-off roll. The pilot pointed out to me that therefore in this case he had been proven right. Even though he'd been unable to put his finger on exactly what was about to go wrong his foot had been on top of the problem all along.

I like it when pilot and maintainer can get along and reach logical conclusions like this. I'm going to try and get off again tomorrow. I've had a lot of problems lately getting off. I suspect the a/c just isn't being maintained as well as it could be.

Dagger Dirk
18th Jun 2004, 03:11
Still having trouble getting off Belgique?

Are you for real? Or is this your comeback?

Im not going to press this any further because noone seems to care (Disco Stu). I saw nothing abnormal in the take off roll ( ie no flames from engine, no birds flying close to the aircraft) so that is why I asked. Also I would NEVER second guess an Aircraft commander because they have the training and the ability to decide what happens to the aircraft and I respect that.

There is such a thing as prescience you know. I foresaw my own daeth (but decided not to go quietly because it was spelt wrong)