PDA

View Full Version : China Airlines, any good?

Vortex what...ouch!
5th Jun 2004, 13:52
About to travel downunder with them and just curious as to what their service is like?

And what is Taipei airport like, I have a 5 hour stopover there?

jtr
5th Jun 2004, 16:16
Will leave the China Airlines slagging to others.

Taipei CKS airport is a sh1thole. There is an aviation museum nearby (5 minutes by taxi) never been there (museum), but those who have say it is wothwhile.

Vortex what...ouch!
5th Jun 2004, 16:45
Oh dear, doesn't look like the best chice I ever made then :{

christep
7th Jun 2004, 05:40
They lose a plane about every couple of years on average. Since I have been in Asia that has included landing an MD-11 upside down at HKG, and having a 747 break up mid-air between TPE and HKG.

http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi_bin/airline_detail.cgi?airline=China+Airlines

With that safety record I'm not about to find out what the service is like.

HKPAX
8th Jun 2004, 01:46
They offer a free harbour cruise to pax travelling to Hong Kong. In addition to the above-mentioned incidents, in 1993, I think, they overshot the runway in a storm and the 747 ended up floating in the water. Fortunately no-one was killed. It was a magnificent sight a couple of weeks later seeing the entire plane (minus the tail that had been blown off to clear obstruction to the runway approach) being hoisted up on straps by a floating crane. The plane had come from Taipei. Minutes before they landed a BA flight from London decided not to try landing and diverted to Taipei. A lesson there methinks. BTW to be fair the business class cabin service on China Airlines is excellent.

FlyingIrishman
9th Jun 2004, 18:02
We have 2 ex China Airlines captains in my company, some of the stories they told me, you wouldn't believe things like that go on in a commercial airline. Certainly an outfit I'd stay clear of...

The SSK
10th Jun 2004, 08:48
They are the reason for my wife's fear of flying. Engine blew up on t/o at Dhahran, aircraft evacuated. Passemgers were totally abandoned by the airline ('we have another aircraft coming through in two days'). The Saudis didn't want to know - couldn't leave airside, couldn't change money, couldn't phone. They camped in the departure lounge for about 24 hours before the British Consul somehow got to hear about it and sorted it sharpish - Gulf Air rescued them.

HKPAX
11th Jun 2004, 09:21
Another point Vortex: while CKS airport is the desolation of Smorg, Taipei is worth a stopover if you can add a day to your holiday. The National museum is one of the best in the world (if you like ancient piss pots and that sort of thing), full of treasures "borrowed" from China in 1949. Have a good trip!