PDA

View Full Version : Auto Update Service doesn't work

TheStormyPetrel
5th Jun 2004, 07:39
When I attempt to start the automatic update service, it reports error number 1083 which indicates that svchost.exe doesn't work due to "class not registered".

I have recently installed XP SP1. The automatic update service has never worked.

We ran the system file checker and there was no change.

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

BlueEagle
5th Jun 2004, 08:38
I couldn't get auto-update to work in OfficeXP and MS advised the following registry edit which worked:

"REGISTRY EDITING
1. Click on 'Start' -> 'Run'
2. Type 'regedit' (without the quotation marks) and click 'OK'. The Registry Editor should start.
3. Navigate to the required registry keys by double-clicking on each key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Installer\Products

4. Below the 'Products' key, select each 32-character {GUID} until you find the one whose 'ProductName' value matches your version of Office. For example, the 32-character {GUID} for Office 2000 Premium is 904000001E872D116BF00006799C897E.
5. With the 32-character {GUID} for your Office product selected, click on 'Edit' -> 'Delete'.
6. Click 'Yes' when prompted to confirm the deletion.
7. Click on 'File' -> 'Exit'.
8. Run Setup for Office again."

Not sure if that will be of any help to you?

TheStormyPetrel
5th Jun 2004, 09:17
Perhaps I should have said that it's Windows XP (not Office) that is the problem.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Jun 2004, 15:08
TheStormyPetrel,

Did you run the usual HouseCall, Ad-Aware, Spybot, etc. to make sure the system is clean? (Since there are viruses that modify svchost.exe.)

Take Care,

Richard

TheStormyPetrel
5th Jun 2004, 15:19
I ran the latest SpyBot and my Vet is up to date. Should I do more? Oh dear, I think this means I should read that very long sticky and do all the things mentioned there.

Thanks Richard for alerting me to the fact that it might be a virus.

It's my work computer, so I guess I had better pop in tomorrow and do more scanning.

Thanks for your help.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Jun 2004, 15:51
TheStormyPetrel,

It is best to just check to make sure everything is clean and then we move on to troubleshooting.

Since it is your work computer, could a firewall be causing a problem? (But I doubt that is the problem.)

Take Care,

Richard

TheStormyPetrel
7th Jun 2004, 06:10
Richard

I've re-done a full Vet scan (using fully updated Vet) with no reports. I've done latest SpyBot scan and fix (again).

The firewall situation is the same for several computers on our system, including mine, and they are not having my problem, so I doubt it's that.

I copied svchost.exe from a computer where all is well, and it didn't fix my problem.

Stormy

BlueEagle
7th Jun 2004, 07:49
I'll try and be a bit more helpful this time! Could it be a cookie problem in IE6? I've had some sites just drop out and had to physically 'allow' the web site to send cookies.

I go Tools>Internet Options>Privacy, at the bottom of the window is Websites>Edit>type in: http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp and then click allow, it might just work.:uhoh:

TheStormyPetrel
7th Jun 2004, 12:43
We did an Windows upgrade re-install which fixed the problem beautifully. It took about 1/2 hour, retained all my settings and was a minumum of fuss in the end.

Thanks all for your help.

Lost_luggage34
7th Jun 2004, 12:49
Excellent result !

Must be time for a fresh Win2K install here.

Remind me again why I should go Win XP ........ ?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
7th Jun 2004, 15:22
TheStormyPetrel,

That is great news! :ok:

Take Care,

Richard