PDA

View Full Version : Perth school/club for UK pilot

windy1
4th Jun 2004, 22:34
UK PPL 900 hrs SEP visiting Perth soon and would like to do some local flying.

1 Any suggestions for friendly schools/clubs?

2 Can I use my UK IMC Rating or FAA IR rating to fly approaches in IMC?

Thanks for any suggestions/advice

Di_Vosh
5th Jun 2004, 00:07
To answer your first question:

Go to the Royal Aero Club. On a visit to Perth in March, they were extremely helpful.

look at:

www.racwa.asn.au

I'm not sure about your licence, but (again) RACWA can help you out there as well.

DIVOSH!

PPRuNe Radar
5th Jun 2004, 00:24
Maybe he was talking about the ORIGINAL Perth ?? ;)

Scottish Aero Club (http://www.scottishaeroclub.org.uk)

Charlie Foxtrot India
5th Jun 2004, 00:31
Hi windy,

You can apply to CASA for a Certificate of Validation if you want to fly as P1, but that will only allow you to fly Day VFR, you won't be able to fly in IMC. Maybe if you want some practice you could do some approaches with an instructor. Anyway the weather is (usually) pretty good, so you shouldn't need to fly in IMC anyway!

You will also need to allow time for CASA to verify all your details with the CAA.

Can't seem to contact you through PM or email so if you can send me a private message (not email) with your contact details I can email you the links to the forms you need to fill in and give you more info.

windy1
5th Jun 2004, 14:14
Thanks Divosh and CFI for advice and offers, and to Prune Radar for checking which "Perth". I will visit RACWA and take it from there.

Windy1

Charlie Foxtrot India
5th Jun 2004, 14:22
Check out the yellow pages online. There are several operators at Perth/Jandakot.

Allow plenty of time for the paperwork, it can take a few weeks, and you can get it started while you are in the UK. The days are gone where you can pick up a Certificate of Validation within 24 hours.

Aerlik
7th Jun 2004, 09:42
They will rip you off, big time. They were going to charge me an extra $3000 for an International Student visa when I came here to start my training. I still have the papers somewhere to prove it.

Check the smaller companies along the strip first and only the above as a last resort.

B777Cptn
15th Jun 2004, 08:58
Why would RACWA charge you to get a Visa to start training?

I didnt think they had the authority to issue International Student Visa's.

Sounds like something for the Dept of Immigration doesnt it?

Bird Strike
15th Jun 2004, 09:51
Windy1,

I was noseying around CASA's site and came across a page that mentioned a special procedure for UK licence holders. You should definitely read the following linked page NOW, before you leave, or you may not get your UK licence verified in time to fly here.

http://www.casa.gov.au/avreg/fcl_lic/overbr.htm

Birdy

Icarus2001
16th Jun 2004, 01:38
windy 1

1. Treat all of the advice about regulations aired here carefully as the regulations change regularly. Go to the source...www.casa.gov.au Here you will find a good section on overseas licence conversion and/or recognition (see above post).

2. GA in Perth (WA) operates mainly from Jandakot Airport. They have a website...www.jandakotairport.com.au on this site they list all of the companies that operate there.

3. Like most airports there is politics. Pilots all recommend the place that they undertook their own training often having never even vistited other schools. Check them all out. It will also depend whether you wish to fly Cessna aircraft or Piper aircraft.

4. There are some regional airports in the South West of WA which have flying schools that tend to offer quieter environments, no landing fees and possibily more personal instruction. Try Murrayfield, Bunbury, Busselton, Albany, Northam.

Aerlik
22nd Jun 2004, 08:06
B777,
they were going to charge me extra to help complete the paperwork to get the international student's visa thingy, not for the actual paperwork. Sorry for the confusion. Still, I saw through the scam and brought it to their attention. Red faces all around.

Icarus, isn't Murrayfield an off shoot of the Scare-o Club?

Icarus2001
23rd Jun 2004, 04:19
Aerlik RACWA operate from Jandakot, Murrayfield, Busselton and Northam. They are satellite fields on their AOC. \

See here..
http://www.casa.gov.au/casadata/aoc/download/W016441-18.pdf

My point was that ...4. There are some regional airports in the South West of WA which have flying schools that tend to offer quieter environments, no landing fees and possibily more personal instruction. Try Murrayfield, Bunbury, Busselton, Albany, Northam.
Yes, your flying dollar will still flow back towards RACWA to a greater or lesser degree.

I have tried to avoid making any value judgements about any flying school.

Traffic
25th Jun 2004, 04:50
Windy1

I would get in touch with Minovation.

The Chief Flying Instructor is originally from the UK and would be able to profer sensible advice.

http://www.cosmic.com.au/minovation/default.htm

I frequent them whenever I am in Perth and find them all very professional and helpful and no, I am not a shareholder or employee...

I am sure you will have a great time as Perth and environs are very user friendly and you get more than a fair share of great flying conditions.

Gerard Street
25th Jun 2004, 04:59
It is interesting that Windy1's private message button is missing...?

Moderator - Can his private message button be restored?

We'd like to offer our assistance too.

Ged Street.
CFI / CP Air Australia International,
Perth Western Australia.

Windy1 - Ged Street would also like to assist you. Please PM or email him.

Woomera

Woomera
25th Jun 2004, 06:44
Gerard - darn it, we've looked everywhere for windy1's PM button, but can't find it. :(

It's not in it's usual place and whilst the cleaner moved it when she was cleaning up last night, assures me she put it back exactly where she found it!! :{ Mind you, on the pay in Woomera Towers, it's hard to get quality staff!!

Actually, Gerard, he's elected not to receive emails or PM's in his profile, which is the reason he has no PM button showing.

Windy1 should note your interest and contact you via PM - assuming we don't also lose your PM button when the cleaner comes in tonight! :}

Woomera

Gerard Street
25th Jun 2004, 07:17
Thanks for your help.

As with you, we are always happy to help!

Ged.

Icarus2001
25th Jun 2004, 09:21
The Chief Flying Instructor is originally from the UK and would be able to profer sensible advice.

A dubious claim if ever i saw one!!!!!:confused: :confused:

Only kidding Min.:ok: