PDA

View Full Version : Howling Passenger - (No one I know..!!)

Rhodie
4th Jun 2004, 18:36
Classic...!!

'Howling' passenger arrested after flight row

June 04 2004 at 05:12PM

A claustrophobic aircraft passenger consumed alcohol with his tranquilliser pill before causing mayhem on an SAA flight from Johannesburg to Cape Town, the Bellville magistrate's court heard on Friday.

Defence counsel Charles Simon told the court that his client, Colin Barnett, of Milnerton near Cape Town, consumed the liquor and tranquilliser because of his fear of flying.

Barnett has pleaded not guilty before magistrate Suzette Marais to a charge framed under the Aviation Act.

The alleged incident happened on the night of February 13, on flight SAA 363, a Boeing 737, carrying about 100 passengers.

Flight safety officer Nicholas Coetzee told the court that passengers had complained about Barnett's behaviour after he had "howled like a wolf" and banged on the backrest of the passenger in front of him.

The incident happened as the plane was preparing to land, he said.

Coetzee said he informed Barnett his behaviour endangered the lives of other passengers and warned him he would be locked up if he persisted.

Coetzee added: "He had a strange grin and looked at me with an evil expression as if he were under the influence of liquor or narcotics.

"He mumbled but didn't not know what he was saying, and looked like he didn't know what he was doing either."

At one stage, Barnett threatened to punch Coetzee.

"If I am injured, I cannot do my job as the safety officer," he said.

Coetzee said he gave instructions that no more liquor be served to Barnett, and reported the incident to the flight commander.

He said he was shocked at Barnett's behaviour, and had never experienced anything like it in his 23 years of service with the SAA.

Coetzee said he was unable to "get through" to Barnett, "and each time I spoke to him he had a silly grin on his face".

As the flight commander tried to explain to Barnett why he was being arrested, Barnett kept saying: "I don't understand a ******* word."

The hearing continues on August 26. - Sapa

AfricanSkies
5th Jun 2004, 01:19
SAA have really got to increase that seat pitch

Islander Jock
5th Jun 2004, 10:16
SAA have really got to increase that seat pitch

Amen to that. As regular SLF on SAA 280/281 JNB-PER-JNB I can tell you that the seat pitch on the 340-200 sucks big time. Not to mention the overall lack of aisle space and lack of dunnies.
Give me the good old 747 300/400 any day.

V1 Rotate
10th Jun 2004, 15:32
Luckily I haven't had the misfortune to have flown on the new SAA 340s yet. But everyone that I speak to either in Europe or the USA complains that the seating is nightmarishly uncomfortable compared to the 747s.
V1