PDA

View Full Version : Loss of Picture quality

Red Hackle
4th Jun 2004, 16:34
Can anyone please tell me if there is any loss of digital picture quality when transferring pictures between computers, eg, when using PC-linq to send pictures to another computer.
Thanks

goates
4th Jun 2004, 17:14
Just transferring files directly shouldn't cause any loss of image quality. Indeed this is one of the advantages of digital pictures over traditional film. The electronic file will never degrade (you just have to be careful you don't lose it to a computer crash). You will lose quality if it is a JPEG or similar "lossy" image file and you edit it though. Each time you edit the picture, the computer recompresses the image.

goates

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Jun 2004, 14:48
Red Hackle,

Does the quality degrade when you send them one way or are they still degraded when they come back to you?

Do a test:

Send them to this other computer, then have the other computer send them back to you. Then check the quality. (I have a suspicion that they will come back to you exactly as they left.)

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Without any specs on either machine, it is very hard to help you any further.

Wing Commander Fowler
5th Jun 2004, 17:10
Hey - I'll just be impressed if you can get LinQ to work for ya!! Never got a real satisfactory session out of it and that despite downloading all the so called latest XP drivers!

Good luck..... :rolleyes:

Red Hackle
9th Jun 2004, 08:46
Thanks for the replies. I don't notice any obvious degradation in the pictures after transfer so I think you are correct in that it should not make any difference - I was just wondering if there was something the experts might know about.
With regard to using PC Linq it seems to work fine on both my computers that are using XP however I have noticed that it is better to delete the old files first before trying to transfer the new ones in for some reason? This is not always the case but I find everytime I transfer and pick up a problem all I have to do is delete the old files and the transfer then takes place seamlessly. Thanks

Naples Air Center, Inc.
9th Jun 2004, 12:35
Red Hackle,

Without any details on either of your machines, I would have to guess there is a Video Driver or Resolution issue on that computer's monitor.

Once again without any specs, I am not doing much more than throwing darts at a dart board.

Take Care,

Richard