PDA

View Full Version : ATPL currency requirements for Australian Pilots

Steve76
4th Jun 2004, 12:33
Guys,

Would any of you guys know what I need to do to renew my aussie ATPL following 3yrs of it doing nothing?

I recently had the Class 1 Medical re-issued and would like to know if there are any further currency requirements for starting the licence back up?

I have tried contacting CASA with no reply and I have attempted to look into myself via the regs with little success again.
I intend to convert the licence into the NZ equivalent as well so any insight into that process from those who have done it would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Steve

Red Wine
4th Jun 2004, 12:49
Try:

CAR's 1988

CAR 5.12
CAR 5.178
CAR 5.179

Jez
4th Jun 2004, 22:02
Steve

No currency requirements on the flying side of things.

Must do class 1 medical (applicable to ATPL standard) and I would assume a bi-annual flight review as (by the sounds of it) you haven't flown in Aus for some time.

The bi-annual flight review can be in the form of a flight check with a Grade 1 instructor or is satisfied with the renewal of a rating (instrument, night, instructor, etc) or with the issue of a type endorsement.

The powers that be are cranking up the trans Tasman agreement which makes it easier for Kiwi and Aus pilots to "cross-pollinate" (for want of a better term) within the industry.

CASA website is pretty good for info.

www.casa.gov.au

:}

Steve76
4th Jun 2004, 22:17
Thankyou CSC and Redwine,
I guess you can find the CAR's online?
I can still read Australian 'cause me frontal lobe still hasn't grown back since the citizenship ceremony.....

IHL
5th Jun 2004, 00:16
Heading back Steve?

helmet fire
5th Jun 2004, 02:56
Dont have time to look up the reg number Steve, but if you look into the regs deep enough, the bi annual can be done in several ways:
1. with the Grade 1 as described above by Jez (note that it had to include a logbook entry by the grade 1 that it was a bi annual)
2. Upon completion of a rating or type endorsement as Jez said, but it must have been conducted by a Grade 1 approved for bi annuals (and a log book entry still required).
3. If you fly for a compnay registered in a signatory state (Canada is one) then any bi annual or annual required checks will count. If that country does not have such a system (ie PNG) then a required company checkride will suffice (ie a 180 day check).

Good luck,
hf

Steve76
5th Jun 2004, 04:52
Jez and HF,
Superb info lads. Thankyou very much. I will delve into the regs some more and make a few enquiries from here.

IHL: Will PM you ASAP.
Dunno if I can handle another winter for a few years :)
GO FLAMES GO!

IHL
5th Jun 2004, 06:40
Steve Now yur talkin. The greatest game on earth . Game 6 to-nite. Go-Flames -Go.

Have you seen a hockey game yet? eh.

Hockey. now thats canadian eh!