PDA

View Full Version : VA just a dream?

monarchgirl
4th Jun 2004, 09:17
Hello guys,

Need some major advice. I have had 3 VA interviews and got through to the second stage but never got offered the job, similer story to many in the forum! (I've had years of flying experience and recently left JAL.)

The thing is now I'm 5 months pregnant and feel it's to late to get into VA. I called recruitment and asked if it was possible to apply for part time after baby was born, but was told that they do not offer part time.

It would be impossible to fly and look after baby on a full time roster (5+ flights a month.) So I then thought of aplying when baby was older 3-5 years and realised I'd be over the age limit of 33! I'd be 35! So it seems I cannot win with Virgin. Can any of you offer any advice on how I could round this?

sammyhostie
4th Jun 2004, 09:23
Hiya,

VA are honestly not what they are cracked up to be, I work as Crew at LGW and have had a lot of friends who were hosties for VS.

They get paid £9.5000 p/a, and they only get flight allowance paid by the sector, which averages at around £25 per sector.

I earn a lot more by working part-time for a charter airline, earn flight allowance by the hour, and earn commission on duty free and drinks.

Southern Belle
4th Jun 2004, 12:21
Hi Monarch Girl,

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Hope everything is going smoothly. I work for Virgin and just flew with a girl who is flying full time with a four year old. She says it isn't easy but she copes with the help of family. With regards to the age limit our recruitment conditions are changing all the time. I do think (and hope) that eventually Virgin will lift their age limit for crew and I think that by the time you are ready to reapply these changes will have been implemented.

It is correct we get £26 trip pay everytime we fly but we also get downroute allowances that are received tax free in the local currency.

For example a night stop New York is now anything between $176 - 210 USD
Washington is $210 USD. San Franscisco is approx $350 USD and LAX $283.
Average trips per month is 5 so there is a good oppourtunity to increase your salary considerably.

I live on the South Coast and find I cope comfortably on the wages however I bought my property in '97 so have a nice cheap mortgage. I realise I am lucky here. Most crew moan about the money but seem to run up huge mobile phone bill, drive flashy cars and have a great wardrobe so it can't all be bad.

I hope you enjoy motherhood and wish you all the best with your attempt to join Virgin. I have a ball and really enjoy my job and have been here 8 years so that I feel speaks for itself.

Good luck!