PDA

View Full Version : Toddlers and Lap Straps...

richterscale10
4th Jun 2004, 07:28
When I was cabin crew before I became a parent I was very naive in the whims and wants of small children and on descent would happily smile at parents and assure them that their two year old MUSt sit in its respective seat "until we have come to a complete stop and the seatbelt sign has been switched off"....then I think I was totally unaware of the screams, bribery and restraintive bullying going on by the parents in order to comply by my instructions and keep the child in its seat.
Now I am a parent I sit on my crew seat and watch all this going on.................and I wonder if all this is truly necessary.
How safe is that child on its own seat anyway? With the strap at its very tightest a small body will very easily slip underneath and out of its grips. Or on a downward impact the strap will probably cause severe internal injuries or garrot the poor infant. The focus on the parents is the child - so they will not be listening to any instructions given by crew should there be an emergency.
I have on occassion been asked by parents to allow them to have their child (dependent on size) to sit on their laps with an infant seat belt on.
What do you think?

sinala1
4th Jun 2004, 07:59
We require all infants (children who have not reached their 2nd birthday) to be seated on the adults lap, with an infant seatbelt. A child can only sit in its own seat if it is able to sit completely upright, unassisted, with no slack in the seat belt. We do not allow infants to have their own seats (there is the odd occasion where an infant is still technically classified an infant, but bigger than some 4 year olds!- in which case I allow them to occupy a seat if one is free or has been purchased for the "infant").

Its because of this that I believe the definition of infant should be based not upon age but moreso upon size of the child. Admittedly this would be difficult to regulate, but given correct training Cabin Crew would be best able to make that decision - but then you have issues with parents wanting to/not wanting to purchase seats for their young ones... interesting topic, one that I have gone into some detail with our safety department about.

Perhaps could go on weight? Put the kids on the baggage weighing belt? :E :E :E

(just kidding)

Dogs_ears_up
4th Jun 2004, 08:47
I also "saw the light" with regard to the difficulties of being a parent when I took a 2 month old and a 16 month old on an 11 hour LHR-LAX, and back again. But I didn't see it completely...

I don't doubt that there are many different points of view about the wisdom of securing "infants" in a particular way, as the rules require. However, the fact remains that people who are paid to know these things have determined that the existing procedures are the safest at this time for both my kids and surrounding passengers. Travelling as a passenger, I have less detailed knowledge about Safety procedures than the Safety authorities, and therefore, like it or not, I defer to their knowledge and experience. Not to do so would be unwise, and might put my childrens lives at risk, or other passengers: It might not, of course, but I have absolutely no way of knowing for sure! This is also the mindset that made me decide to vaccinate them using MMR vaccine, and also that makes me insist that they wear seat belts in the car, and incidentally, makes me turn off my mobile phone in flight. The prevailing wisdom is that this is the safest practise, and I have insufficient knowledge to know better. When working as crew, I take the same view.

I'd also point out that if an individual chooses to interpret one particular instruction from the crew (and therefore the delegated instruction from the commander) according to their own assesment of the situation, a precedent is being established. What other instructions from the crew might that passenger wish to interpret as being a suggestion rather than an instruction? The same passenger might logically conclude that provided they were careful with the ashes and stub, a quick cigarette in the toilet is acceptable. Or that, while the aircraft is paused on the taxiway, it is an acceptable risk for them to unpack the overhead compartment for their bags. Extreme examples? Maybe, but all round I find it easier, and usually wiser to obey the rules.