PDA

View Full Version : Rising fuel prices - Aussies, strike back!

Kaptin M
3rd Jun 2004, 23:09
To get the Australian "audience" aware of a campaign currently underway Dunnunda, I thought this email received a couple of days ago might be topical news. It appears to have been orchestrated by a person in Victoria.

"This is a very important message and well worth reading

Apparently we are going to hit close to AUD $1.35 a litre by the winter.

Want petrol prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.

Here is an idea that can really work.

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP at .89 / .95 cents, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the
marketplace not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit them in the pocket.

It's very easy and bold to simply say "let's stop buying petrol". This will not work because we all need to use petrol.
BUT here is an idea that will achieve the lowering of the price of petrol WITHOUT disadvantaging ourselves.

Here's the idea:

Until further notice,
DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies BP and MOBIL.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be forced to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach as many people as possible so please forward this email to all your email contacts!
Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT AND DO NOT BUY PETROL FROM BP AND MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 80cents a LITRE RANGE.

The others will quickly follow suit...

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Caltex, GAS. or Gull Outlets, plus other independent operators and drive by BP and MOBIL Stations."

High Altitude
4th Jun 2004, 01:06
Question?

BP & MOBIL... What about SHELL?

On the aviation side it would be great to do the same... Pity they don't sell AVGAS at Victoria River Wayside Inn... But they do sell it at Daly Waters Wayside Inn - you even land on an old Qantas airstrip...

GA Driver
4th Jun 2004, 01:14
Trouble is, it isn't just the oil companies that are making a fortune (I'm sure they are too though) It's government excise. nearly 47% is tax!

check out http://motoring.racv.com.au/racvm/petrol/petrolGuide.cfm?id=C90C8354-7786-4FDE-834F31A1ECA6851B (http://)

Pharcarnell
4th Jun 2004, 03:27
Remember!

It's not just the excise.
We pay GST on the final calculated price, so we pay tax on tax. They (whoever "they" are) will argue that excise is NOT tax. Mere semantics.
Costcutta must be rubbing his hands in glee. He doesn't have to do anything to get his screw from fuel to go up, just let OPEC wind up the price.

chimbu warrior
4th Jun 2004, 09:46
Like HA says.............what about Shell?

I thought Royal Dutch Shell was one of the five largest companies in the world (i.e. all companies, not just il companies).

Whilst KM's idea has merit, I would suggest that it is a wee bit impractical outside the metropolitan areas. The other small matter is that nowadays, many consumers collect 4 cents/litre discount vouchers for shopping at Coles, and these are redeemable only at Shell stations. As this is the only opportunity that most people get to save a couple of bucks on a fill, I doubt that Shell are going to go out of business in a hurry.

Zhaadum
4th Jun 2004, 13:21
Good Idea, but....ALL the petrol and Avgas sold in WA is manufactured at BP Kwinana refinery, and sold on to every other fuel company in WA. It does not matter where you buy your fuel, it is STILL BP fuel and they make money anyway.

:yuk:

jb_flyer
6th Jun 2004, 14:16
Whats more interesting is how the wholesale price of petrol is set in WA (Called the terminal gate price).

This is the price that anybody with a handy tanker can get fuel from if the turn up at Fremantle with a wad of cash... (to put it simply)

The BP Refinery Kwinana buys crude, and refines it into petrol (and other prducts) which it then sells to BP Marketing in Melbourne... who then look at the price of importing petrol into Fremantle from Singapore (eg: Gate price plus freight), and then make the price they sell it to shell, gull, etc just lower then that price.

So the wholesale price in WA is governed by the price in Singapore. Of course, the other oil companies then choose what price they sell it to their individual service stations, sometimes at a loss, sometimes at profit.

Most of the profit a oil company makes is in the upline areas, eg exploration, and getting crude out of the ground etc.

Also interesting to note is that BP Kwinana also EXPORTS refined goods to other pacific nations... because the quality is so high.

JB

Spodman
6th Jun 2004, 17:02
All sounds like cr@p to me, another brain-dead chain letter effort.

Our local Shell station is packed with knobs waving magic discount vouchers that save ALMOST A DOLLAR :zzz: while tumbleweeds roll through the BP. I ride past both and buy at the Australian company AMPOL.

High petrol prices are GOOD. Ride a push-bike and avoid HEART DISEASE & flab. Ride a tram even. Gape at the efficient motorcycle that "white-lined" you (and 300 other gas-guzzlers with 1 POB) on the way to work.

This is an OPPORTUNITY not a crisis.

Woomera
6th Jun 2004, 23:33
"I ride past both and buy at the Australian company AMPOL"

Not any more Spods! Ampol and Caltex/Texaco "merged" some time ago to form Australian Petroleum Pty Ltd.

W