PDA

View Full Version : What is the best flight school in New Zealand?

crackedshield
3rd Jun 2004, 19:01
Hi,
I'm trying to find the best flight school/academy in New Zealand at which to complete the PPL-CPL-Multi-IFR and any input or opinions are welcomed.
Thanks,
CS:cool:

splatgothebugs
5th Jun 2004, 04:27
You'll get many different opinions on this one.

My moneys with BAY FLIGHT INTERNATIONAL in Tauranga, if your keen and put in the work and enjoy a drink or two on the weekend then you will like it.

07 575 2747.

Good luck

splat
:ok:

MAXRATE172
5th Jun 2004, 05:45
May i suggest you check out Auckland's Ardmore Flying School.
PPL thru Multi IFR.

Google keywords Ardmore+Flying+School

+6492985055

Best of luck!

Blue Line
5th Jun 2004, 11:03
Have a search through the forums theres one of these every month or 2, at the end of the day it basically comes down to what part of the country you wanna train in.

Cypher
5th Jun 2004, 22:28
Shudder.... A.F.S....

I get worried when I see a empty flight line there!

Try Air Waikatipu in Queenstown...

flyby_kiwi
6th Jun 2004, 05:29
Bayflight and Wakatipu seem to win alot of votes. Ive spent brief moments of time and both of them and others but like Blue Line said it depends where you want to live and wheather you will be looking for work in NZ at the end of your training or not.

Do a search - There's heaps of posts there but where ever you end up - If its not working out how you want it bail out before your in too deep with them.

crackedshield
7th Jun 2004, 23:51
Thanks for all the input and suggestions. I have my work cut out for me in trying to finalize my decision.
Kinda like being the judge of a bikini contest...want them all!!;)
CS:cool:

baconeater
12th Jun 2004, 19:46
Hey Cracked

Something else to think about, if you are serious about finding work afterward is Australia.

Unfortunately in NZ the market is getting increasingly full of trained pilots with min hours yet again. The only real job you may find is if you go down the instructing route being paid peanuts, flying part time with the possibility of moving onto something bigger in GA in 2 to 5 years. Your movement will then most probally be onto a small turbo prop or something of the likes and the likely hood of being stuck there for a number of years is high, unless you are very lucky. The industry is very small with very little opportunities. The training in NZ is great with great flying and people and there are a couple of operators who are very professional and are excellent to work for, but when it comes down to it we are all spending the bucks to further ourselves as quick as possible.

It is not by all means easy in Australia but there are a lot more opportunitys over there, the licence is the same so after gaining the experience you need there is no problem coming back, the people are also great to work with and you may actually come back with a broader knowledge of aviation as every country you fly in does have a different spin on things even if it is Australia just accross the ditch.

Price wise much the same and instead of putting your money into an instructors rating focus on building your hours up as there are a ton of small operators out there and once you have hit the 500 to 700 mark buy a rating in a metro or a 1900 and you will be in your way.

This is just another suggestion, if I could do it all over again and the opportunity was there this would have been the route I would have taken.

Anyway all the best, the path can be rough at times but it is worth it in the end. I'm sure what ever the decision it will be the right one.

Baconeater

Oktas8
13th Jun 2004, 22:03
"... buy a rating in a metro..."

And again I'm reminded that the aviation industry is for suckers.

(Not criticising you personally baconeater - I know what you have said is a pragmatic suggestion for someone with low hours.)

Hey crackedshield - best of luck with your training. And if people tell you that it takes forever to get a real job, just remember that we all agree it's worth it in the end!

cheers,
O8