PDA

View Full Version : Civvies flying in RAF?

The mother alligator
3rd Jun 2004, 12:06
What are the policies regarding flying civilians in the RAF? I've heard that, for example, and the end of ME training at Cranwell, graduates of the course fly their families? I know it's all to do with insurance etc, but could one of you guys take someone for a jolly provided they passed medical etc? Just that I wouldn't have thought so!
Regards,
TMA

Low Ball
3rd Jun 2004, 12:24
Always like an optimist, nice try.

Perhaps this is a new way to reduce the defence budget deficit, nothings for free!

Low Ball

Yeller_Gait
3rd Jun 2004, 16:22
Civvies flying in military aircraft is not a problem, just ask Brize.
Other large aircraft often carry civilian passengers, though there is usually a good reason for them being there, though I have seen/heard of the occasional raffle prize winner getting a flight too.

JessTheDog
3rd Jun 2004, 16:28
Paperwork and insurance are the only hurdles I believe.

rej
3rd Jun 2004, 18:54
I think you might find the answers in the relevant GASOs and unit FOB.

Rej

18greens
4th Jun 2004, 06:37
I thought the qualification was to be a good looking blue peter presenter ;-)

teeteringhead
4th Jun 2004, 07:39
It's all in QRs ... IIRC a CO of cdr/lt col/wg cdr rank may authorise
passenger flights for civilians "in the Service interest", which probably means if he can convince HIS boss it's a good idea.

QR J737 strikes a chord......

SandChopper
4th Jun 2004, 12:59
as long as the Blue Peter presenter is still prepared to show all in the back of the cab then she is welcome any time!

eagerbeaver
4th Jun 2004, 14:02
Is it possible to "buy" a ride in a military aircraft? e.g i donate money to charity and something nice for the crew room and get a ride in an aircraft. Or do i need to wait for Jim'll Fixit to return?

It's a serious question.

Chairborne 09.00hrs
4th Jun 2004, 18:24
Mother,

Becoming the Mayor of Grimsby used to be the 100% guaranteed route for a trip in a "Frightening", back in the days.......

Don't know if this works for Boston or Norwich!

eagerbeaver
5th Jun 2004, 08:43
Air Power by the hour, interesting. Its getting that way already in civvvie street.
On a side note, i dont have two peenies to rub together anyhow so its me dreaming.

SPIT
5th Jun 2004, 12:57
I remember in the 80s that ATC Cadets were allowed to fly in RAF aircraft including Fast Jets. As a cadet myself I flew in Canberras, JPs , Varsitys and Hercs.

FEWNCOP
5th Jun 2004, 17:55
Not sure if things have changed now, but when I graduated from METS at Cranwell a few years ago, we were allowed to take our folks flying on a short trip. Usually involved a bit of formation with one of your course buddies. Probably stopped the formation when they could only get one Jetstream serviceable!!

Regie Mental
7th Jun 2004, 10:36
Best way is to knock up some headed notepaper for a spurious 'freelance aviation photo-journalist' organisation followed by a web-site of nice pics (remember not to put a counter on the site though), then jump up and down and demand rides in the knowledge that they never check to see what you produce anyway. Seems to work for everyone else.

In the absence of a Smilie for 'tongue firmly in cheek' this will have to do: :}

the_flying_cop
7th Jun 2004, 11:31
i am a police air observer and was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction for trying to secure a ride in a fast jet, anything with photographic capabilities, as we use a variety of photographic techniques within our aircraft.

i appreciate this is a weird request but any offers or guidance would be greatly appreciated. we have had many visits from the mod and wondering if anyone would be able to return the favour.

regards

BEagle
7th Jun 2004, 11:39
I've certainly flown the Bill on several occasions in the dear old Vickers FunBus to watch air-to-air refuelling. Gave the local Thames Valley boys a squadron print signed by the crew - with their car registrations added!;)

Was promised a return trip in a patrol vehicle; unfortunately I couldn't make it on the day as several inches of thick snow were dumped on the area overnight and I didn't want to become a statistic by trying to get to the cop shop to meet the chaps.

Fast jet may be a bit trickier though - good luck if you can swing it. Oh - and do mind how you go, sir!

REF
7th Jun 2004, 16:42
I'm in the Air Cadets as a CI and I know that you can fly in aircraft on ATC camps and station visits. I have had the oportunity to fly with 6EAF at RAF Benson as well.

Richard

oulton35
16th Jun 2004, 17:58
I know that the ME courses at least used to fly their families at their graduation, as my brotheris an RAF ME pilot.

I remember it now.....Mum, if you're gonna do that, can you at least turn the mic off?!?!?!?!?

:ooh:

Boy_From_Brazil
17th Jun 2004, 18:38
oulton 35

I know they did until very recently. My wife likes flying but loathes landings and take-offs. After 4 touch and goes in the back of a Jetstream she vowed never to fly again.

BFB