PDA

View Full Version : 777-300ER delivery problem?

always-pending
3rd Jun 2004, 08:23
I was talking to an ATC friend who seemed to think that the latest 777-300ER to Air France had to divert on its delivery flight.

He didn't have any details although thought that it was engine related.

nosedive00
3rd Jun 2004, 10:08
I heard that the engine had to be shut down on the delivery flight. The aircraft continued to CDG and had an uneventful landing.

Nothing of particular interest for this forum.

hobie
3rd Jun 2004, 10:57
from an engineering point of view it would be interesting to know why it had to be shut down so if you do find out the reason AP please post

cheers ....

bombshell
3rd Jun 2004, 10:59
nosedive00 perhaps the "Bus" drivers would be interested! :}

gas path
3rd Jun 2004, 12:21
It was an IFSD due to oil loss caused by I'm led to believe, a collapsed scavenge tube.

always-pending
3rd Jun 2004, 12:42
Gas Path, You don't think that the oil scav tube is the same reason why the first aircraft has been on watch since delivery?:{

747FOCAL
3rd Jun 2004, 13:48
If only I could tell.........:E

always-pending
3rd Jun 2004, 14:09
747Focal, I thought you were always eager to share your pearls of wisdom!:O

lasernigel
3rd Jun 2004, 14:16
747Focal is VERY quiet this time,if it had been an Airbus...Well that's a different story.
Shame Boeing have put all their eggs in one basket by exclusive use of GE90's on the 300ER version!

747FOCAL
3rd Jun 2004, 14:25
That whole airplane has problems that can't be fixed. You pilots make sure and bring your sick bags when you fly her. ;)

always-pending
3rd Jun 2004, 15:17
747Focal.

If its that poor why don't you withdraw it from the market and recommend operators switch to the bus! :}

Or how about re-engining :E

It could save any further embarrasment :ouch:

747FOCAL
3rd Jun 2004, 15:44
The problems I was refering to have nothing to do with the engines. :{

hobie
3rd Jun 2004, 15:51
sounds like 747 is talking about this particular airframe? ......

BigHitDH
3rd Jun 2004, 16:02
I think Focal is on about a certain "feeling" the 773 gives you, esp when sat at the back. :yuk: :mad:

WHBM
3rd Jun 2004, 20:25
It's alright, Harry Stonecipher at Boeing has "done a deal" with GE, so that keeps everything nice and cosy on the ER, whether it works or not.

I just think Harry is getting his own back on Boeing from all the days he spent at McDD being trounced by them !

747FOCAL
3rd Jun 2004, 20:31
Well when all 777-300ER pilots nickname her "galloping gearny" don't say I did not tell you so. :E

411A
3rd Jun 2004, 20:59
What do you want to bet, when any 'problems' are fixed, it will become very successful for Boeing, much like the B747 was, oh so many years ago.
With that aircraft, I was kept busy for a year delivering various bits in a Skyvan to Seattle...and the 747 swept all others aside.
Airboos, phooey...they can't even get the FD to give correct pitch indications for takeoff, at least on the EK machines...:yuk:

gas path
3rd Jun 2004, 22:54
Ho Hum! sliding down that slippery slope of Bus versus Boeing again!
I wonder what Mr Boeing will do when BA asks for 15 777-300ER aircraft (plus options!) but not with that powerplant?:hmm:

747FOCAL
4th Jun 2004, 01:47
411A, You got years of experience on me, but on this one I have intimate knowledge. It can't be fixed, not easily without new wings.

If you get to fly one I was not kidding about the sick bags for the pilots. ;)

and for those in the back.

Invictus
4th Jun 2004, 03:23
This is an interesting line of discussion,

1. I would have thought that airframe issues such as (what I think) is being described here would have been sorted at design stage in a wind tunnel?

2. If there is "unusual motion" that causes nausia for the pilots, does that not represent a safety risk?

Invictus

(I am not a pilot).

411A
4th Jun 2004, 04:40
Hmmm,
perhaps a stabilization augmentation system needed.
Or, improved.:ooh: :uhoh:

always-pending
4th Jun 2004, 09:34
747FOCAL:

You seem to have a real problem with this bird.

If it does have the sort of problems you have mentioned I would expect to start to see the media pick up on this.

Oh, sorry this might actually be something the public would want to hear about .... so maybe not!

:rolleyes:

Out of choice then I don't suppose you would be seen in one again.;)

BigHitDH
4th Jun 2004, 11:24
747Focal,

I'm surprised by your comment about needing new wings! I was under the impression this problem was something to do with autopilot logic, and the software is being re-written as we speak to get rid of this issue?

Torquelink
4th Jun 2004, 11:51
747FOCAL: Does this problem also apply to the standard -300 or only to the -300ER? If it's a motion issue - it probably puts it on a par with the A340-600!

Gaspath / lasernigel: I understand that the GE exclusivity is for all B777 variants with a MTOW of 700k/lb+ so, in theory, a variant could be developed with RR or PW engines with a restricted MTOW of 699k/lb (assuming anyone would want it). Anyone know if the GE agreement has a time limit? Only ask because interested to see that ANZ just ordered RR powered B777-200ERs and B7E7s and also optioned B777-300ERs for delivery in 2010+. Maybe they know that, by then, they'll be able to have RR power on the -300ER too - otherwise it would seem more logical to have specified GE for the -200ERs and 7E7s.

always-pending
4th Jun 2004, 12:33
Torquelink.

Logical if the main decision was based on the 777 but not if it was based on the 7E7.

ANZ may think that the 7E7 variants better match the airlines growth plan and so have picked the engine they think best suits it. Not knowing much about the GE or RR engine I can't comment.

The decision on the 777 will then be based around any possible switching rights. Having chosen RR for the 7E7 it is only logical to then go with them on the 777.

747FOCAL put the 777X problem down to airframe and not the engine so pushing out the 777-300ER options for an RR engine doesn't help this problem.
:suspect:

747FOCAL
4th Jun 2004, 16:23
It is only the ER version and only above a certain weight does the problem come into play. I am not going to say exactly what it is, but a smart aero person has more than enough information in this thread to figure it out. :E

Kalium Chloride
4th Jun 2004, 22:41
Air France has categorically stated, in the plainest terms possible, that there was absolutely no incident of any sort on the delivery flight.

So if - and I stress 'if' - it turns out that there was a technical issue on the delivery flight, I'll be asking Air France some very difficult questions. Mainly about lying.

747FOCAL
4th Jun 2004, 23:00
Its not dangerous if that is what you are worried about. :)

casual observer
5th Jun 2004, 12:52
Air France has categorically stated, in the plainest terms possible, that there was absolutely no incident of any sort on the delivery flight.

Perhaps they indeed were telling the truth. My understanding is the incident didn't happen during the delivery flight.

I wonder what Mr Boeing will do when BA asks for 15 777-300ER aircraft (plus options!) but not with that powerplant?

Mr Boeing will tell BA to go ahead and buy the A340-600 that is on a fattening diet and will be some 50 to 60,000lb heavier than the 777-300ER just to match what the -300ER can do. :D If you let engine selection to drive your aircraft purchase decision, then that's what you're going to get.

Old Aero Guy
5th Jun 2004, 15:14
After talking with some of my Boeing friends, it appears the incident being discussed happened during a Boeing production flight test of an Air France airplane before delivery. It was reported as part of the normal incident reporting process required by the FAA.

xyz_pilot
5th Jun 2004, 15:27
From what I can REMEMBER the basic 777 had a yaw-sick prob when new. I think it was a long job to get the best set up on the yaw damper.

hobie
5th Jun 2004, 16:54
how the heck can the story vary from a problem/diversion to an Engine shutdown on delivery flight to a pre-delivery problem?

the sort of story that would drive Boeing/Air France up the wall!!!!

:{ :{ :{

dc-8-63
5th Jun 2004, 17:38
I do know for a fact that this 777-300ER supposed to be delivered on Friday May 28th, but the delivery was postponed until Tuesday June 1 due to change of an Engine. So the engine shutdown did happen on the last Boeing Test Flight and AF is quite correct in stating that the delivery flight went normal.

always-pending
5th Jun 2004, 18:23
hobie, My friend obviously got wind of something as verified by this thread. He just didn't have all the details.

I agree that Boeing and AF will be driven mad by this problem but because it has happened on an engine that has only just entered service. The late delivery, potential lost revenue, service management will all make them mad.

As for the event. It doesn't matter that it occured on pre delivery, delivery or in service, it is still an engine shut down on a new engine. This should concern us all. :{

I suppose AF should be thankful that this problem doesn't require them to follow every take off with a dustpan like BA's experience.:E

lomapaseo
5th Jun 2004, 18:50
As for the event. It doesn't matter that it occured on pre delivery, delivery or in service, it is still an engine shut down on a new engine. This should concern us all.

No doubt that it will concern GE, Boeing and AF, but it certainly should not be a concern to all

The flight wasn't even in revenue service and for all we know might not even carry the latest Service Bulletins, prior to entering service.

An economic concern to the bean counters but not necessairly an operational concern

hobie
5th Jun 2004, 19:16
pre-delivery shake-downs are a totally different ball game ...... if PPRUNE followed every snag cleared up in pre-delivery checks we would never get any time for sleep

the aircraft was delivered to spec with no problems on the delivery flight!!! - no engine shut down - no diversion - no xxxx nothing - Air France have a fine new Aircraft - long live Boeing (and the Bus company too!!!!)

:p :p :p

Taildragger67
6th Jun 2004, 11:05
If the -ER bucks around as suggested earlier in this thread, does this not possibly raise questions about the airframe fatiguing faster?

Cripple 7
6th Jun 2004, 13:02
I have flown both 747s and now I am on the 777. It's the best aicraft type that I have ever flown so far. When I first got on the 777, we jokingly called it the cripple 7. 6 years later, I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

always-pending
6th Jun 2004, 19:41
I agree that the base 777 is a fine aircraft, from what I've heard one of the best. Although 747FOCAL does put this into question for the new version.

As for an engine shut down not causing everyone concern then I think you should see if the authorities feel this way.

A shake down is meant to pick up on manufacturing problems/ quality and isn't meant to pick up design defects as this appears to be. If this was a manufacturing quality problem then at least call it as one and the issue should be dropped, if not it shoud be a concern! :*

I agree that time will tell on the success of this aircraft/ engine as it does with all. With the level of investment I have no doubt it will be a success.:)

747FOCAL
6th Jun 2004, 20:40
I am not trying to say it is a bad aircraft. It is just fine. The problem came from doing what every manufacturer does by growing the aircraft beyond its original intentions. If you do that you have to redesign certain things or performance problems as well as other problems can arise and you can't see them until it is already flying.

Airbus has had these problems with their A340-500 and -600 as well.

hobie
6th Jun 2004, 20:55
quote ....

"A shake down is meant to pick up on manufacturing problems/ quality and isn't meant to pick up design defects as this appears to be"

AP - what design defects are you suggesting exist?

always-pending
6th Jun 2004, 21:20
hobie, pull up the full quote.

I said I didn't know if it was a design issue or not. If it is, then it is of interest since it will affect the in service aircraft and may need action. If not then it is a quality issue.

I would have thought that quality/ build issues are something more easily fixed. Lets hope that this is all it is. :cool:

Earlier in this thread it has been mentioned that it was an oil problem but nothing stating the suspected cause.

Guess we will never know, unless a mod comes out!!

:\

hobie
6th Jun 2004, 21:49
AP - your full quote as requested .....

"A shake down is meant to pick up on manufacturing problems/ quality and isn't meant to pick up design defects as this appears to be. If this was a manufacturing quality problem then at least call it as one and the issue should be dropped, if not it shoud be a concern! "

"design defects as this appears to be"

or

"manufacturing quality problem"

just so I have it clear in my mind, What design defect or quality problem are you referring too?

Bus429
7th Jun 2004, 07:11
I remember Emirates first 777 diverting into MAN on its delivery flight in 1994. Problem was an oil leak on the left engine. Rolls scrambled a team in short order!

always-pending
7th Jun 2004, 07:23
Hobie,

I was making reference to gas paths comments about a suspected "Collapsed Scavenge tube".

What else could be the problem except either quality/ manufacturing or design?

Please don't look deaper into my comments than what is already in this thread. :ok:

Facts (Rumours) as reported in this thread:
An IFSD of a GE90-115B on a 777-300ER on a pre-delivery flight.
Delivery to AF has been pushed back by a few days.
I don't know what went wrong.
It is suspected that an oil scavenge tube failed as reported by gas path.
This could be quality or design - nothing else possible?!
As an aside 747FOCAL has raised a high weight stability problem causing flight crew and pax nausia!

I think this is a fair summary of the thread to date. Please correct if I have got any of this wrong.

Thanks

:cool:

hobie
7th Jun 2004, 09:49
I think we have now discounted the original post on this thread ....

quote ....

"I was talking to an ATC friend who seemed to think that the latest 777-300ER to Air France had to divert on its delivery flight.

He didn't have any details although thought that it was engine related."

any pre- delivery snag would have, without doubt, been cleared up before delivery of the Aircraft, and before sign off by the Air France Acceptance Team

I note the first aircraft of this type, delivered to Air France last month, carried out its inaugural flight a few days ago to New York

Air France have a total of 16 Boeing 777-300ER aircraft (10 owned and 6 leased) on order ....... Here's wishing them well with their fine new Aircraft

halas
7th Jun 2004, 09:53
1994 :eek:

And so Bus, you are telling me it took them two years to get it from MAN to DXB for the first flight in 1996? ;) (A6-EMD)

Must have been really sick!! :yuk:

halas

always-pending
7th Jun 2004, 10:21
hobie, as with anything in this forum the original post was put up in good faith following a discussion I had with a friend. I didn't ask about source and from this thread he obviously had some details wrong.

Possible embelishment to get my interest. Guess you have never embelished a story. ;)

Although, I think the thread has been vindicated by the fact that an event has been confirmed but it was pre-delivery.

I think that unless something more constructive is added to the thread then we should call it a day.

:ok:

hobie
7th Jun 2004, 10:54
AP ..... I'm sure your post was in good faith and indeed I was most interested in the story from an engineering point of view

its amazing how a thread can bomb off in a million directions ...... did you notice an Oil Leak in 1994 (some ten years ago) surfaced to add material to your thread !!!!
:{ :{ :{

cheers .... hobie :ok:

RogerTangoFoxtrotIndigo
7th Jun 2004, 12:01
Another GE90 IFSD. It should also be noted that this does not apear to have been shutdown as an unnecesary precaution as the unit was swapped out. There was a thread on this a couple of months back that contained basic statistical analysis that pointed to (to me) quite a worrying allowable amount of shutdowns whilst retaining ETOPS.

Since then there have been a few more, within predictable and allowable margins or course, but still it seems to be shall we say not an uncommon occurance, about 1 a month.

You have to wonder about Boeings sanity in comitting to a single powerplant for all HGW 777's, as

a)an unfortunate incident could kill the program and
b) 2 of the largest 777 operators are Rolls customers and this has stalled what should have been slam dunk orders

As too what would happen if BA was ready to comitt to 15 RR powered 300ER's + options, well I have to wonder what would happen if SIA said they'd be down for another 20 or so as well! Or, hang on I have the number for Mr Airbus here somewhere.... NZ's engine choice is a bit of a puzzler if they are looking for ER's.

Bus429
7th Jun 2004, 13:16
Halas, due flying on one engine it was a very long delivery flight!
Alright, so it was 1996 - my memory is not what it used to be!

nilnotedtks
7th Jun 2004, 13:50
Bus 429, your memory really is fading ! The oil leak problem was on A6-EME and not 'MD. A6-EMD was the first one delivered and was ferried flawlessly to Dubai, completed with a fine low and slow flypast down Jumeirah beach at 1000" ( remember it well ). A6-EME was the second one to arrive and this was the one that, as is stated, slowly dumped it's engine oil all over the northern hemisphere en route to U.K. Problem was traced to the scavenging oil to the gearbox hydraulicing in the drive shaft and causing the outer case to fracture at the horizontal fire seal. The problem was very clevery sorted by RR who added a few extra large holes in the vertical drive shaft to allow an easy passage for the oil back to the gearbox.

Long time, no hear anyway, miss the aviation quiz !

Bus429
7th Jun 2004, 16:43
There you go, nilnotedtks- I have burst! Anyway, what does it matter? See your pm for my email address. I'm off to improve my excuse for a website!

casual observer
7th Jun 2004, 21:19
747FOCAL:

I wonder if the problem that you are referring to is related to the loading restrictions that the aircraft currently have at the highest available MTOW of 775,000lb. If so, this information is actually available on Boeing's website. My understanding is this problem is currently being worked on and the restrictions will likely be removed.

747FOCAL
7th Jun 2004, 23:51
Nah, this is something they would never talk about publically. :ok: And there is no restrictions as of yet, nobody has bought the highest weights. :E

unmanned transport
8th Jun 2004, 00:16
You have to wonder about Boeings sanity in comitting to a single powerplant for all HGW 777's.

The GE-90-115B is currently the only engine capable of powering the 777-300 IGW. Rolls Royce don't even come close with their highest thrust version.

411A
8th Jun 2004, 00:40
Another lost opportunity for RR perhaps?
Big twins are the wave of the future, A380 excepted...and suspect that machine is still not suited for all transoceanic routes, due to size.

unmanned transport
8th Jun 2004, 02:07
The A380 could be twinned with two GE-90s when it's growth goes out to 150,000 lbs of thrust. The core of this engine has much more growth potential. One great engine for GE.

Buster Hyman
8th Jun 2004, 02:27
Alrighty then...I'll have a crack.

Is the tail too short 747FOCAL?

or

Is it to do with the aircrafts MAC?:confused:

RogerTangoFoxtrotIndigo
8th Jun 2004, 07:22
The GE-90-115B is currently the only engine capable of powering the 777-300 IGW. Rolls Royce don't even come close with their highest thrust version.
Well yeah, little point in developing a 110,000ib class engine if the airframe manufacturer has said it will only offer one engine choice and you are not it:hmm:

Lost opportunity yes but not for want of trying.

747 Focal.... You are such a tease...... You can tell us it not like there are any Journos lurking on these pages :D

always-pending
8th Jun 2004, 14:59
Flight has reported this incident this week as two IFSD's for this problem. This is a little confusing since they talk about each being precautionary following low oil warning on the same flight. :confused:

I assume the engine was restarted to check if it was just an instrumentation error.

Doesn't this usually count as one event?

747FOCAL
8th Jun 2004, 16:06
unmanned transport,

Are you sure the A380 can be twinned? They tried to do that with the 747, but it would fail engine out thrust requirements. In other words in could not stay in the air with just the one engine. I doubt the A380 could either unless that engine could be over thrusted to produce 1.5 times it's rated thrust.

always-pending, you have more than enough here to figure it out like some already have.

It has nothing to do with the tail. :)

Tallbloke
8th Jun 2004, 16:15
Presumably to twin the A380 would also require a great deal of wing structure redesign, since there would be a great deal of redundant structure outboard of the engines. I wonder what the CG issues would be, As well as fiddling with the undercarriage to maintain nacelle clearance? The 330 / 340 wing was designed as a dual purpose item, but I for one have not heard any such suggestions being made about the 380 wing.

always-pending
8th Jun 2004, 19:32
747FOCAL,

????:confused:

My question was related to the original thread and not the other issues.

I think someone else was pushing for a bit more info on the other nauseating issue!

Interesting to think of a twin carrying over 500 pax! Take off field length must be a little excessive!

hobie
8th Jun 2004, 20:03
anyone want a 550 seat twin ...... no problem .......

try a 777-300 single class .....

http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=107

411A
9th Jun 2004, 02:06
Tallbloke,

Quite the contrary.
If the 380 was 'redesigned' as a twin, additional heavier wing structure might well be necessary, because 4 engines (in wing mounted pods) provides considerable wing bending relief, which may well not be available with a twin engine design.
The devil is in the details.:E

always-pending
9th Jun 2004, 07:13
hobie,

Anyone for sardines!:)

Torquelink
9th Jun 2004, 09:12
Unmanned

Both RR and P&W pitched engines for the 777-300ER/-200LR: RR actually tested a Trent at 110,000lb years ago. It was strongly rumoured at the time that the single source award had nothing to do with the technical aspects of the various proposals rather the promise of financial assistance to Boeing by GE to develop the airframe if they selected the GE90 on an exclusive basis. The amount was rumoured to be approx $500m but I'm sure 747FOCAL could enlighten us. Given the sales records of these models to date one has to question whether Boeing was wise to take GE's shilling.:confused:

747FOCAL
9th Jun 2004, 12:51
Actually I think they were told one price per engine for a single source award and another higher price if there was competition. Not 100% sure though.:)

hobie
9th Jun 2004, 20:57
I suppose a single source for the engine was fully discussed at the time on PPRUNE but you would think the airlines would have told Boeing to stick single source? ...... and yet Boeing still got away with it

casual observer
10th Jun 2004, 01:32
Both RR and P&W pitched engines for the 777-300ER/-200LR: RR actually tested a Trent at 110,000lb years ago.

Yes. Rolls had a Trent 8104 development engine that they had run up to 110klb thrust. Just like the GE90-115B engine, GE also had run the engine up to nearly 123klb thrust. Being able to run to 110klb thurst during an engine test, it doesn't mean the engine would be able to certify at that level. The 104klb thrust engine wasn't adequate for Boeing's need to develop a plane that would be competitive against the A340-600. Rolls did later propose a GE90-115B equivalent, and so did P&W. Rolls would need major development because the current core is being pushed to the limit. P&W had proposed a whole new centerline engine.

It was strongly rumoured at the time that the single source award had nothing to do with the technical aspects of the various proposals rather the promise of financial assistance to Boeing by GE to develop the airframe if they selected the GE90 on an exclusive basis. The amount was rumoured to be approx $500m

The $500m figure has been floating around for a long time. With any exclusive airframe/engine arrangement, the engine company involved will usually pay extra to get on board. In this case, I believe the arrangement is perhaps more "intimate" than usual. However, AFAIK, the GE90-115B was the least technical risky solution and also overall the best in techinical merits.

Given the sales records of these models to date one has to question whether Boeing was wise to take GE's...

The current sales record is more a reflection of the current market condition rather than the effect of engine exclusivity agreement. Since the B777-300ER launch, Airbus has netted around 30 A340-5/600 orders while Boeing has netted over 70 B777-200LR/-300ER orders. So, the jury is still out.

gas path
10th Jun 2004, 08:47
However, AFAIK, the GE90-115B was the least technical risky solution and also overall the best in techinical merits It is :E :E
A good measure of any engine is how often one has to open the cowls!;) ;)

casual observer
10th Jun 2004, 09:16
It is

A good measure of any engine is how often one has to open the cowls!

FWIW, at this point all the three B777 engines have very similar IFSD, UER, SVR, and dispatch reliability rates, with the PW4000 lagging a little bit in the IFSD department.

Torquelink
10th Jun 2004, 09:25
747FOCAL

I suspect that all bidders would have offered lower prices for exclusivity.

Casual

Interesting points. But my RR moles tell me that the core development required to hit 125k/lb, while extensive, was no greater than that required for the GE90 and was pretty much "low risk" (well, they would say that wouldn't they). IRO sales performance of the -200LR/-300ER, I don't doubt that the -300ER will sell in reasonable numbers over a period of time as the market recovers, but Boeing built in a headwind by going for exclusivity with GE. Among others, I'm told that TG, CX and SQ would have signed up for the model long before now if Boeing had responded favourably to their request for RR power. But, from an economcs perspective, I suspect that the -300ER wipes the floor with the A340-600 and that, in the absence of any alternative, the -300ER will eventually outsell the A346 comprehensively.

casual observer
10th Jun 2004, 12:17
Interesting points. But my RR moles tell me that the core development required to hit 125k/lb, while extensive, was no greater than that required for the GE90 and was pretty much "low risk" (well, they would say that wouldn't they).

Of course they would. ;) I will provide some more perspective and let you be the judge. Boeing failed to launch the B777X in 1997 with a proposed 102-104klb engine. However, RR run a Trent 8104 development engine test anyway. Why? Becuase they wanted to show Boeing that Rolls was the only engine company willing to commit to Boeing's B777X. Boeing struggled with the design and even considered T/APU, i.e., using the APU for additional thrust on takeoff. If it was indeed easy for Rolls to grow the Trent 8104 beyond 110klb, wouldn't you think that they have jumped on the opportunity? After all, they already had an engine built! Why would they allow GE to "sneak" in? In 1997, GE even pulled out at the last minute in committing a 102klb engine for the then B777X.

Among others, I'm told that TG, CX and SQ would have signed up for the model long before now if Boeing had responded favourably to their request for RR power.

TG is hardly a gage. They would order any airframes, any engines under the sun. Their experience with the B777 engine was not terribly good, especially on the Trent 892 on the -300. At one point, they lost their 180-minute ETOPS rating and was close to losing the 120-minute ETOPS rating. Of late, they seemed to have decided to go mostly with Airbus, partly driven by politics. However, the B7E7 might have changed the wind again at TG.

CX is reluctant of operating twins on long haul especially ETOPS. SARS further postponed their decision. My understanding is the GE90 is not a deterrent for CX, but I would agree with a Rolls engine, we could have a more expedite decision.

SQ's decision was also slowed by SARS. Once again, the GE90 is also not a deterrent. Also, if Rolls was able to penetrate an all-P&W fleet at SQ in 1995 and now become the primary engine supplier at SQ, it means SQ will not be fixated on an engine supplier. Money talks, especially at SQ.

But, from an economcs perspective, I suspect that the -300ER wipes the floor with the A340-600 and that, in the absence of any alternative, the -300ER will eventually outsell the A346 comprehensively.

Agree with you whole-heartedly. :ok:

MarkD
10th Jun 2004, 16:42
With CNN's Lou Dobbs banging on every day on the US "exporting jobs", it may have been politically tricky for Boeing to single-source to a non-US company...

747FOCAL
15th Jun 2004, 14:09
Boeing, GE probe engine shutdowns
Flight International 06/08/04

Boeing and General Electric are investigating the cause of two in-flight shutdowns of a GE90-115B on a 777-300ER just before its delivery to Air France.

The aircraft, delivered to the airline without incident on 30 May, had been performing standard Boeing pre-delivery flights when the crew twice received low oil-pressure warnings and performed two precautionary in-flight shutdowns. After landing, it was discovered that in both events the oil scavenge pipe to the 'A' sump in the engine had collapsed, causing the pressure to drop.

GE says the incident is "unique to this engine" and tests are being performed on the tube at its Cincinnati plant. "That particular engine is being closely monitored, but subsequent runs on it after the pipe was replaced have been uneventful," says GE, which changed the engine before delivery.

Boeing, which plans to deliver 16 777-300ERs to Air France by the end of 2006, says the failure appears to be a "quality issue". The aircraft, line number 480, is the third delivered to Air France.

GE says destructive tests continue, but there has been "no evidence" to date of a quality problem with the tubes. It says engine certification, production ground test, flight test experience and analytical predictions do not currently foresee the scavenge pressures needed to cause the tube to collapse.

nosedive00
29th Nov 2004, 10:15
I guess with a further 6 months to investigate this problem and no further problems having sneaked into the media the original "Unique to this engine" must be true!

Does anyone know the results of this investigation? What caused those multiple events on the one engine?

Guess Boeing and GE have got this one right and are now moving on to the 200LR.

ND

swh
30th Nov 2004, 15:16
Speaking of results of investigations...any news on the what caused the cargo hold fire in the BA 777 G-VIIU while taxing at Boston on 15th Nov ?

:hmm:

lomapaseo
1st Dec 2004, 12:36
Speaking of results of investigations...any news on the what caused the cargo hold fire in the BA 777 G-VIIU while taxing at Boston on 15th Nov ?

cargo hold:confused:

Wasn't this the smoke in the cockpit incident where the smoke was traced to a hydraulic leak spraying into the electronics bay?