PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Cook A330's

Caledonian
2nd Jun 2004, 23:45
Hello,

Just wondering, am flying with Thomas Cook to Sanford from Glasgow on Friday (04/06) and am curious, is it just me or is 2 long haul aircraft an abnormally small long haul fleet for a a busy summer schedule, sure they always seem to be fairly on time but have TC ever had really bad luck with 1 of the 330's going tech???

Would they just use likes of Atlanta to help them out if need be or would they be likely to source elsewhere??

Appreciate any help you folks might be able to give me.

Cheers
Caley.

alpha16
3rd Jun 2004, 13:13
Speaking from experience of last summer, the A330's i dispatched at GLA were fairly shiny and new... no delays that i know of went to down to tech problems ... more along the lines of staff shortages! :rolleyes:
TC were pretty good as far as A/C go, not many at all went tech.

expedite_climb
3rd Jun 2004, 16:25
Yes if they do go tech they are subbed out, like any other airline.

FYI First Choice only have 2 767's this summer ....

phoenix son
3rd Jun 2004, 19:46
Caledonian (and others!),

It rather depends on how you look at things - TCX have a busy summer programme, certainly, but that's not to say that the 2 A330's are overstretched. It's simply a case of building a flying programme that fits with the equipment available. In the case of TCX, that simply means that there is a lot of leeway built in to allow for unforseen events (look at this morning for example!), so that a single delayed departure will not necessarily impact upon subsequent rotations (food for thought for another well-known Manchester-based A330 operator?), and most importantly plenty of downtime is made available for essential maintenance. Sure, it would be easy to squeeze another Caribbean (or wherever) rotation into the flying program, but the costs associated with a string of delayed departures could soon outweigh the revenue generated and so it becomes a pointless exercise...

PHX

Caledonian
3rd Jun 2004, 20:00
Thanks for the replies guys very much looking forward to the flight.

Cheers
Caley

expedite_climb
4th Jun 2004, 06:54
Caledonian,

PS has just reminded me of something. TCX has one less rotation this year on each 330 to allow for tech / maint / delays etc.

cheers

kiltedrebel
7th Jun 2004, 08:20
the ...other MAN A330 carrier to which you refer has 4 A330's, and 4 763ER's with a rather healthy maintenance schedule for the summer.....only tech delay on the A330's so far was a paperwork excercise on a penalty A-check which had to go down to a 99 Si as strictly speaking wasn't tech. FYI lol ;o)

Big Tudor
7th Jun 2004, 11:15
oh kilted one,

If we're talking of the same A330 operator then we've only got 3 763's (unless someone's hiding one somewhere)