PDA

View Full Version : nimrod mr4 first flight date

vader 1
2nd Jun 2004, 21:33
can anyone tell me the date of the first flight at woodoford of the new nimrod mr4. I have been waiting since april when they started engine testing. help!:O

Vage Rot
2nd Jun 2004, 21:56
Prob late July to early Sep. (Best case to most likely!)

Low speed taxy trials late this week or early next - braking from 70Kts.

BAES have a web cam at Woodford to show it all - will try to find the URL and post.

Yeller_Gait
3rd Jun 2004, 04:24
Just had a quick look at the bae website, and although I did not see any webcams, they (bae) are still saying

With an in-service date of 2005, the Nimrod MRA4 will be the only jet-powered maritime patrol aircraft in service.

on the MRA4 page. Ever the optomists :O

PPRuNeUser0139
3rd Jun 2004, 06:27
Reading this thread gave me a flashback to the same location in the early eighties..
I was part of the Boscombe flight trials team at Woodford for the previous Nimrod incarnation (the Mk3).
The scene: In the non-air conditioned Flight Sheds conference room one warm summer's day, a large meeting was in progress between BAe, MAv and us...
At mid morning, the door opened and two guys came in (think 2 Ronnies). Both were wearing overalls and donkey jackets. One was carrying an industrial-sized aluminium teapot of around 5 gallons capacity with two handles... the other had 2 long tubes of paper cups - one stuck in each pocket (gunslinger mode) - and was carrying a pint of milk and a bag of sugar with a spoon stuck in it.
Not a word was spoken as the meeting stopped and a line of paper cups was laid out along the highly polished conference table. The teapot guy stepped forward and - starting at one end -in one continuous motion filled the entire line of cups with hot steaming tea. The tea went all over the table too. I caught the eye of a colleague sitting opposite and we both had to look away as we were both desperately trying not to laugh. Meanwhile, matey with the milk does the same continuous pouring action and, leaving the sugar and spoon on the table they left.
I can still recall the pain we all went through as we tried to retain our composure. The BAe management acted as though this was a perfectly normal occurence.
My other abiding memory of Woodford is that across the airfield is the large building where the Nimrods were built. It was known as 'New Assembly'.
I asked one of the BAe guys one day why it was called that.
He said it was because that's where the Lancasters were built...

Gainesy
3rd Jun 2004, 10:40
Reminds me of a day at BAe Brough. PR bloke suggested we have lunch in the works' canteen "to save time" (cheapskate).
Still in hearty PR manager mode he asks one of the workforce what he'd recommend. "Bugger all, its all crap.":)

The Gorilla
3rd Jun 2004, 11:00
Surely a better title for this thread would be:

nimrod mr4 first and last flight date!!!

:p

:ok:

Dimmer Switch
3rd Jun 2004, 12:13
What's up Gorilla ?

“….and I predict will NEVER fly, the same prediction I made a year ago.” (15th October 2002)

“I have been saying for the past 2 years on this forum and I repeat.. It HASN'T flown
and It will NEVER fly!! “ (20th February 2003)

“I said it would never fly and I stand by that prediction!!” (14th December 2003)

“I still say and have said many times on this forum, the MRA4 will never fly” (2nd February 2004)

Now you reckon it will - getting nervous ?!

Heh heh heh:O

steamchicken
3rd Jun 2004, 13:11
You're laughing, but tea boy's probably panel-beating the wings to fit the fuselage right now!

Flak Jacket
3rd Jun 2004, 16:52
Can anyone tell me what the problem is with all these Nimrod bashers out there...

Alright the Mr4 may not have been the best choice with the other options both cheaper and proven p3 etc, but we have made the choice now lets see how capable it will be.

What I'm saying is give it a chance.

I think for people to gain pleasure from seeing this thing fail is wrong...

PS The biggest thing I can see with it is that it doesn't have an engineer.

Discuss....

The Gorilla
3rd Jun 2004, 22:59
Dimmer

Very good but you also missed one of my other quotes!

I predicted that Newcastle would win the premier League, but as of today my other predictions re the mra4 remain extant!!

IT STILL HASN'T FLOWN YET!!!!!

:confused:

Dimmer Switch
4th Jun 2004, 06:35
Gorilla,
I wish I could spell "cynical", "pessimistic" or "skeptical" instead of having to call you a gloomy old git ! (The age thing is just an assumption - if you are, in fact, an energetic youth, then you're REALLY in trouble !) :D

The Gorilla
4th Jun 2004, 11:00
Dimmer

Actually all 3 words have appeared regularly in my annual reports, but not any more of course!!

I am but a youthful figure and no I DO NOT use grecian 2000!! (Or just for men either)!!

Evanelpus
4th Jun 2004, 12:06
Anyone interested in seeing a picture of the first aircraft in primer at Woodford should get themselves over to airliners.net.

DP Harvey
4th Jun 2004, 23:33
original message deleted

Charlie Luncher
5th Jun 2004, 00:38
DS

I thought we were all Yoofs compared to yourself, but not all of us are energetic. :E

Dont worry about the old monkey I reckon he has been drying out his banana skins and smoking them. Wont be long before he is replaced by a black box is his new job as it works well on the DLR.

Charlie sends
from the land of the melting Mars Bar:ugh:

donpizmeov
5th Jun 2004, 03:48
Dimmer old fella, how the hell are you? Hope the FLT SGT is still looking after you, and that rabbit catching superman suit still fits.

Now this Nimrod thinging....does seem to be taking a bit long don't you think. Perhaps a rebuild of the shack might be in order as an intrim ( and no that is not a fat joke!) measure!!!

Charlie......when are you heading over this way to say hello? Get it organised will ya!!!!!
Don

Dimmer Switch
5th Jun 2004, 13:13
Don & Charlie,

Talking to you two takes all the fun out of fat jokes - it's just too easy !!!! :D

Me & the Gaffer are tickety-boo - don't either of you miss the constant drizzle and grey skies of a Brit summer?.

You're right about MRA4 taking much longer than originally promised, and PPRuNe has seen a lot of debate over the reasons for that. It seems to me that there's a bit of momentum behind it now, and it appear to have the potential to be the cat's ass when we get it.

WG774
5th Jun 2004, 19:12
http://www.mod.uk/dpa/projects/making_a_nimrod_mra4.htm

Charlie Luncher
6th Jun 2004, 00:26
Don

Should be in yer neck of the woods about this time next week, if I can get past the fun police. Will give you a PM once sausage side. I would bring some Coopers if allowed but I can manage some vegemite or any other fare you need.

Now then Dimmer
About the fat jokes I hope you realise that when in the land of Kylie one has to attend the beach and bare one's adonis body whilst not a six pack more of a watney's party keg the ladies seem to approve.

As for ladies Ill set Missus DS on ya :sad:
Hope the teenage years have made you grey - er :ok:

AlanM
6th Jun 2004, 18:52
Looks like something form the MaxPower mag with those go faster bits!!

MR4 at Woodford (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/592899/L/)

BEagle
7th Jun 2004, 00:27
That has got to be the ugliest version of the Comet ever made....

PPRuNeUser0139
7th Jun 2004, 06:00
The Nimrod has always looked like a parts bin special but the undisputed British Commonwealth All Comers title for the ugliest version of the Comet has to go to the Mk3 Nimrod... (the infamous AEW with schnozzles front and rear). Proof of the adage "If it looks right etc.."
When we (the Boscombe team) arrived at Woodford in '82 to start the flight trials phase, we had to pull our Sherpa off the peri-track as we were all literally crying with laughter at the sheer ugliness of the beast that we'd spotted lurking on the far side of the airfield.

Mightycrewseven
7th Jun 2004, 08:18
Dimmer old chap,

I have just recieved a copy of Nimrod MRA4 'Maturity, Capability, Adaptability' video!!!! We are to show it to the Squadron on our Ground Training Day, where many of the students will not realise the 'leading man' (a true silver screen star if i've ever seen one) is in fact a leg-end! Nice one. ;)

Sad I know, but I miss working for the IPT. It made this job look easy!! :bored: Good to see the MRA4 project is going well and I'm sure this video footage will enlighten those sceptics we have here. Perhaps it will give confidence to those departing to the front line about the future.

Don & Charlie, I hope life is treating you both well. I also hope you leave enough 'Kylie' to go round (although Anastasia is looking more like a front runner now!) Take care chaps.

M7 :ok:

Judge Rembrandt
7th Jun 2004, 22:12
Dimmer Switch,
Pse check your PMs.
TVM
Judge Rembrandt
PS MC7 - I will be calling you tommorrow!!

Dimmer Switch
8th Jun 2004, 06:47
Your Honour!

Got it - will call later today

Cheers

DaveyBoy
9th Jun 2004, 18:56
Was anyone else impressed by the number of little optimisic phrases in that video, such as:

"Aircraft 4 to 18, or however many it is" [after the order gets cut again...]

"The next time I speak to you on a video, or the company speaks to you" [if I've been sacked...]

not to mention the dig at bureaucracy; kept us amused for ten minutes :-)

Any word on the taxy trials?

JimmyTAP
10th Jun 2004, 07:21
Taxy trials should be tomorrow or Saturday.

JT

FJJP
10th Jun 2004, 19:38
I live in hope that the Woodford TP who will fly the beast will comment on this thread.....

chrisstiles
11th Jun 2004, 00:40
The Radio 4 program "File on Four" featured defence overspending in it's latest programme - much of which was commentary on Nimrod.
A transcript of the programme should be available shortly on the associated website, for those interested:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/news/fileon4/index.shtml

--
chris

maniac55
15th Jun 2004, 19:30
Last weekend, I didn't know BWoS worked weekends :E , PA1 commenced low speed taxy trials.

Yep, its finally able to move around under its own power and, more importantly, stop.

Doing so with 20 degree flaps was a bit ambitious though :hmm:

Any bets on first flight :cool:

Sideshow Bob
16th Jun 2004, 13:32
Penguins can movearound under their own steam still doesn't mean they can fly ;)

emitex
29th Jun 2004, 16:50
Anyone have an update?

John Farley
29th Jun 2004, 18:02
Quite a few people I am sure.

But as has been said many times the three things that are best done in private are first flights, sausage stuffing and political decision making.

emitex
29th Jun 2004, 18:42
Oh yes, the sausage stuffing thing......:hmm:

Anyone have an update? Taxy trials etc?

The Gorilla
29th Jun 2004, 18:57
Yep

12 Jul 04 - cancellation date!!!!

:O

Chris Kebab
29th Jun 2004, 19:26
There is no chance of that beast getting airborne until after the cuts announcement. Would you risk a maiden flight on a project that could be cancelled two weeks later.

emitex
29th Jun 2004, 20:25
"Would you risk a maiden flight on a project that could be cancelled two weeks later."

With nothing to lose, yes I would.

Down 4 Reprogram
29th Jun 2004, 22:01
Heard a rumour (and let's face it that is what pprune is all about) that from the contract the next large wodge of cash goes to BWoS when the beast flies - project milestone and all that.

If so, then in their position it woulde make sense to get it airborne soonest.

D4R

lasernigel
27th Jul 2004, 11:35
Since we are safe for 12 MR4's after the defence cuts.Is there any news on the first flight yet?

Mad_Mark
27th Jul 2004, 11:58
Gorilla, Well 12 July has come and gone, and no cancellation :D

Laser, it is my understanding that the initial high speed taxi trials have been carried out down the runway and first flight of PA1 is due some time next month. Fingers crossed ;)

Mad Mark!!! :mad:

mbga9pgf
27th Jul 2004, 14:00
Boys and girls wait for tranche 2 of cuts.... Bufhoon mentioned something along the lines of "the option for the procurement of MR4 will rely upon successful testing flights"

so if I was BWoS, i would be asking,

What happens if Boscombe tests say its unflyable?

The Gorilla
27th Jul 2004, 20:42
Mad Mark

Ahh yes the future for MRA4 is all rosy post Buffhoons cuts!! NOT!!

Let me see, 21 to 18 and now down to 12?? Mmm. A typical British "Creeping Cancellation"

And how successful has its first flight been then??

Hee hee.....

Mad_Mark
27th Jul 2004, 22:47
Gorilla, I was simply responding to your earlier post...

12 Jul 04 - cancellation date!!!!

As I said, 12 Jul has come and gone and MRA4 has not (some may say 'yet') been cancelled.

And as for those in power that seriously believe that we will be able to continue the current tasks (and indeed the rumoured increased number of tasks) with half the current fleet are out to lunch big time!

Mad Mark!!! :mad:

arfur-sixpence
28th Jul 2004, 09:00
Dear God,

Please let the MR4 fly and be a success - if only to shut The Gorilla up for good!

The Gorilla
28th Jul 2004, 15:36
I hope for all your sakes it DOES!! fly and is eventually accepted into service, for I can be unbearably smug when I am proven to be right!!!

Time my friends, will tell all!!!

Spotting Bad Guys
28th Jul 2004, 17:18
Ah, but didn't the actual wording of the Review say "about 12 aircraft".......

SBG

Unmissable
28th Jul 2004, 20:13
I believe Buff said the MARITIME requirement could be met with about 12 aircraft. Therefore, if you can find another role then you could argue to keep the others. Or am I too much of an optimist.....my glass is half full.

Pontius Navigator
28th Jul 2004, 21:25
How much is a Boeing 737-800 ERX MMA?

bangin0ut
28th Jul 2004, 21:39
Unmissable, In response to your post they do have another role and they dont have enough airframes to carry out these tasks. Incidentally this includes very little of what the airframe was built to do in the first place, so how the crews are going to cope from next April is beyond me.

Still if it makes an accountants spreadsheet balance then it must be OK
:mad:

Sideshow Bob
29th Jul 2004, 06:45
bangin0ut
We'll cope how we always cope, ignore the politicians and just get on with the job. Only, with less crews, we'll just have to spend a bit more time in the desert.

bangin0ut
29th Jul 2004, 20:15
Sideshow

Thats the problem. Everyone will carry on and do a good job, as they always do. Trouble is, sooner or later something is going to have to give! Its the thing thats going to give that worries me:uhoh:

doubledolphins
30th Jul 2004, 17:45
Dont know the cost of the 737 MMA (thats an MPA with more going for it.) But I do know that it will fly and it will enter service and IT is likely to be the "Only the only jet powered "MPA" in service."

Navaleye
3rd Aug 2004, 13:39
With only 12 airframes actually being completed, the MRA4 will be more expensive than the Merlin. Why not ditch it and buy the 737 MMA instead. Plenty of C3s kicking about as well.

lasernigel
3rd Aug 2004, 14:29
After a lot of searching and delving through MOD sites found this quote from Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup which I think sums up this governments attitude when they have to get a serving officer say what Buffoon couldn't say in his speech. We will reduce the number of Nimrod MR2 aircraft from 21 to 16, reflecting a lower submarine threat to the UK at least, but acknowledging the Nimrod force’s wider capabilities. The requirement could in future be met by around 12 of the more capable Nimrod MRA4 although much work will be required with industry before a decision is reached. .

How much work is the question which needs answering asap,if this lot have any credibility left.

pr00ne
3rd Aug 2004, 15:57
Lasernigel,

I think you'll find that is a virtually word for word lift from what Hoon actually said when he was on his feet in the house making the statement on the 21st.

Strato Q
17th Aug 2004, 02:52
A good source tells me Friday is the day

Gorilla - I guess you won't need to be so smug then;)

The Gorilla
17th Aug 2004, 09:51
Friday eh?? I look forwards to seeing it in the national news then!!

I wish the flight test team good luck and a safe return.

TG

The Gorilla
21st Aug 2004, 14:46
Strato

Permission to be smug sir?

SMUG!!!!!!!

:p

emitex
26th Aug 2004, 09:22
A good source tells me it's today, probably around midday.

ORAC
26th Aug 2004, 14:53
Well, did it?

Glockenklanger
26th Aug 2004, 14:57
I have it on good authority that it's in the air as I type this.

Should be down in about 60 minutes

Cheers,

Glock.

JimmyTAP
26th Aug 2004, 14:59
Airborne at 1533 local from Woodford.

Happy landings to the crew.

JT

stuk
26th Aug 2004, 15:02
What's up Gorilla ?

“….and I predict will NEVER fly, the same prediction I made a year ago.” (15th October 2002)

“I have been saying for the past 2 years on this forum and I repeat.. It HASN'T flown
and It will NEVER fly!! “ (20th February 2003)

“I said it would never fly and I stand by that prediction!!” (14th December 2003)

“I still say and have said many times on this forum, the MRA4 will never fly” (2nd February 2004)

Any response Old Chap???

ppf
26th Aug 2004, 15:06
But will it enter service?????????

;)

incubus
26th Aug 2004, 15:19
One victory at a time :-)

The Gorilla
26th Aug 2004, 15:36
Of Course I have a reply!!

You don't know the test results! It may never fly again!!

Besides which if you think I am going to accept the words on a rumour network as confirmation you must think me mad!!!

I will speak further when news of its maiden flight appears in reliable news sources!!

And no it wont enter service either!! But for those who are searching my previous threads for ammo I also predicted last year that my beloved Newcastle United would win the premier league!! A prediction I again make for this season!!!!

I will remain silent for the night because I am off to drive my trains on nightshift!!

:=

JimmyTAP
26th Aug 2004, 15:49
Besides which if you think I am going to accept the words on a rumour network as confirmation you must think me mad!!!

Possibly not but believe me the confirmation will come. I saw the take-off myself.

It looks like you are saying that you are plain cr*p at predictions.

As far as not entering service, I fear you may be right but it actually isn't grounds for feeling smug if it comes true.
Thousands of jobs will be lost.

JT

just noise
26th Aug 2004, 16:01
Maybe the doubters think it was a Comet with a bodykit on.

giblets
26th Aug 2004, 16:09
Reading on Airliners.net that the MR4 finally had its first flight today.

Tiger_mate
26th Aug 2004, 16:09
http://freespace.virgin.net/tilsa.matthews/img/IMG_1479.jpg
Copyright Jamotcx

bluetail
26th Aug 2004, 17:25
Tiger_mate

"Looks like a comet with a bodykit "

Careful sonny !!!!

You sound like a fast jet monkey to me, still each to his own

It has lots of friends, and I did nearly 17 years on its father and grandfather.

Mith or not, its got air under its wings at last and not before bl??dy time too.

GG

Squadgy
26th Aug 2004, 18:13
Saw it depart EGCD for Warton earlier :ok:
Engines sounds weird having been used to the existing version!

bangin0ut
26th Aug 2004, 20:56
I have been told that it flew for 2 hours or so, which was more than planned as the fuel burn was far less than anticipated.

Flight crew all went down the pub soon after landing to celebrate and are probably still there now!

Good luck to all involved with the rest of the flight program.:ok:

Trumpet_trousers
26th Aug 2004, 23:04
Tiger_mate:

what's that sitting off it's right wing, a P-51??

Dimmer Switch
26th Aug 2004, 23:05
YIP - flippin' - PEEEEEE !!!!!

ShortFatOne
27th Aug 2004, 00:59
vader 1. PA1 (ZJ 516) got airborne yesterday (26 Aug) at 1530L from Woodford. Landed at Warton 1720L. Early indications are testing went well.:D

bluetail
27th Aug 2004, 06:38
Trumpet Trousers

Its actually the WOS Pilatus PC-9 on its wing, additional chase aircraft included 2 Hawks, with no doubt a "journo" probably Geoff Lee in one of them.

A pal of mine who was there said it sounded very quiet, but looked pretty good, needs a paint job though.

GG

Bear 555
27th Aug 2004, 08:00
It was VERY quiet.

One go-around on arrival made little more noise that the company 146's. The Hawk was making more noise.

Large crowd turned out to welcome PA01 to Warton.

Smiles all round

Bear 555

Flak Jacket
27th Aug 2004, 09:50
Well done to all involved.

I hope that this provides some light at the end of a long dark tunnel.

Now just the simple job of system integration!!!

FJ

Charlie Luncher
27th Aug 2004, 13:42
Dimmer

I hope you had a celebration Mars Bar, or were you too busy mashing the bananas for the Gorillas's humble pie:E .

Chat soon regards to all in sunny Lancs

Charlie sends
from the land of big ass spiders:uhoh:

The Gorilla
27th Aug 2004, 15:09
Don't be bakin that ole humble pie just yet!!

I can't find a reliable source anywhere to prove this event has taken place!! A few faked foto's on this site and a bit of back slapping does not a test flight make!!

Come on people point out an official web site where I can view this magnificent feat against all odds!!!

As for my other predictions? Well it looks like my beloved Newcastle will sign Wayne Rooney this weekend and then we really will win the premiership this year!!!

:=

Gainesy
27th Aug 2004, 15:10
Well if Geoff was getting some pics, they aren't on the BAe website yet. Must've put 'em in Boots to get devved.

JimmyTAP
27th Aug 2004, 20:03
http://www.baesystems.com/newsroom/2004/aug/260804news3.htm (http://)

Mind you this could be faked as well. No piccies sadly

JT

TheMightyHunter
27th Aug 2004, 20:35
I have a cracking picture of the Nimrod but I can't work out how to get it on here......sorry for being dull but I have only just registered and have never posted before.

Can anyone explain.....in lamens terms please!

Mad_Mark
27th Aug 2004, 21:29
I can't find a reliable source anywhere to prove this event has taken place!! A few faked foto's on this site and a bit of back slapping does not a test flight make!!
The joys of having Sky Digital TV. All I had to do was select BBC North West for the local news broadcast at 1830 hrs on the day of the alleged event and amazing, faked footage of the non-event on the telly :ok: Best you get in touch with the BBC and complain about them making up a news story and showing fake footage of something that never happened ;)

Mad Mark!!!

:mad:

Rhino power
27th Aug 2004, 21:36
Theres a couple of good piccies here (http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=30675)

Scroll down to view.

Regards, RP.

TheMightyHunter
27th Aug 2004, 22:42
Ah....OK thanks for that I will know in the future.

The 2 Piccies I had were the same ones as linked to by Rhino Power.

Never mind, still very happy it happened.

Squadgy
28th Aug 2004, 17:47
Just flown over the top of Warton on the ILS for EGNH - the MR4 wasn't there ! So maybe The Gorilla is right after all :confused: (Or perhaps it was just in a hanger :p )

Nignog
28th Aug 2004, 22:59
I took this as it came into land at Warton.

http://tinypic.com/3hhzd

giblets
29th Aug 2004, 15:47
Read somewhere that on the first flight it flew longer due to 'lower than expected fuel consumption', hopefully this will mean that it will beat its performace specs accross the board

reynoldsno1
29th Aug 2004, 22:51
...and I thought the B1900 was untidy - this things got bits and pieces all over the place ....

CFARther
30th Aug 2004, 18:56
PA1 flew for longer than expected because the flight went so well.
Once at Warton and after all the media scrummage the aircraft was towed to a hangar to be stripped and checked and made ready for the next flight..

Handling and other flight checks were obviously not pushed with it being first flight. That will come later this year.

BossEyed
30th Aug 2004, 19:01
Dimmer Switch is away stuffing his face with waffles.
And The Gorilla is away stuffing his face with...? :}

The Gorilla
30th Aug 2004, 19:33
Enough abuse already!!

I may have been wr
I may have been wro#
I may have been wron..

No I can't say it!!

But in Officer speak I can say that my prediction may have been slightly inaccurate!!

I have trawled backwards through my previous comments concerning this large white elephant and I can see where some of you may have been misled. I have always said and still say the the Nimrod MRA4 will never fly!! Of course where the confusion lies is that last week the Airframe PA01 flew not a Nimrod MRA4. We still have a long ways to go before that happens!! Trying to fit all that complex electronics down the back of a narrow 1950's tube may well be the end to this project!! Just like the last Nimrod thingy!!

And of course I never saw the Sir Bobby Robson sacking coming either!! What price my prediction for Newcastle now??

Go one fire away! I deserve it!!

:D

CFARther
30th Aug 2004, 22:00
"We" don't have a long way to go at all. PA2 is already being tested in the hangar with the Mission System fitted.

incubus
30th Aug 2004, 22:40
Frankly, if the MR2 can fly with all that steam-driven junk crammed into the back, I am sure the MRA4 will manage ;-)

santiago15
30th Aug 2004, 23:56
Ought we not to give the gorilla a break? Did he not verbalise the innermost thoughts of even the most die hard maritime man?

My hypothesis is that he did in fact just that. Congratulations to all those involved in this first flight. For all those who seek to mock (myself included at some stages!) this project, I hope a new sense of optimism is born.

A fleet of Nimrod MRA4 aircraft in service in the near future will only enhance our air force.

S15

Lost_luggage34
31st Aug 2004, 04:48
Was very glad to see the damn thing fly at last

Was one who observed the many test flights from Woodford in the 80s of the extended nose and tail cones. And I enjoyed the Vulcan getting fitted with refueling nozzle.

No - that does not make me an expert. But have an interest -

So this is the result ? The result of many, many years of Government bungling.

Does it actually bring any benefit in terms of a strategic part of UK defences ?

We seem to have made done with the old stuff. I am very impressed with how what is basicaly an old Comet airframe and how it has been turned into something decent.

I am a tad pissed off here with all the knocks.

I think an official statement would be appropriate.

LL34

CFARther
31st Aug 2004, 08:03
ll34,

What do you mean by an official statement?

ORAC
31st Aug 2004, 13:44
Select Commitee on Defence (http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200203/cmselect/cmdfence/694/694we08.htm) - Procurement Approach

The original contract for the supply of aircraft, training systems and an interim support package was the result of competitive tendering. As a result of the recent re-structuring however, the development and production of the first three Nimrod MRA4s as development aircraft will continue, with first flight planned for 2004. We have agreed with the Company that there should be a controlled and economic cessation of series production until design has reached a level of demonstrated maturity during trials on the first three aircraft. If the potential for the Nimrod MRA4 as an "adaptable aircraft" can be realised and is cost effective, we will ensure that the necessary provisions for adaptability are included in the first batch of production aircraft. At the appropriate time, we will consider whether to launch the production of the remaining Nimrod aircraft to a new adaptable standard or the existing MRA4 standard. We will also consider at the appropriate time whether it would be economic to convert the remaining development aircraft to a production standard.

The Gorilla
31st Aug 2004, 13:51
nan me old,

Sorry but by your own admission PA01 isn't an MRA4!!
It's a bit like saying that an E3D without all its mission kit and crew is an AWACS!! No Sir, it is only a Boeing 720 with a mushroom on top.

The Nimrod MRA4 is PA01, plus mission kit plus crew!! And that I again predict will NEVER fly!! (Rider.. in operational service!!)

That all said, I have to congratulate the individuals concerned both service and civilian who have worked damned hard to get this airborne. Well done, although my own thoughts are that along with Eurofighter 2010 this country no longer has a requirement for the MRA's of any model.

Still it has been a sterling achievement and I wont take that away from them.

But to leave on a negative point these ARE 2nd hand aircraft with thousands of hours on them and quite aside from the lack of a flight engineer for 250ft work...

Do we really need them?? Go on convince me whilst I am in a good mood!!

:)

mbga9pgf
31st Aug 2004, 14:35
I amagine the standard databus may come in handy, as well as those extra hard points... but as a maritime recon aircraft.... never. Personally, I would imagine the MR4 will be an excellent standoff launch platform or aircraft supporting land ops (fast, good loiter in flight refuel etc), but I could never see any maritime role re-emerging.... You just have to look across NATO procurement to twig that one, with numerous NATO countries slashing any maritime support contingent.

Small Spinner
31st Aug 2004, 16:37
The Gorilla,

A successful flight test programme is a long way off yet, but a major hurdle has been overcome.

Virtually the only bit that remains of the original is the outer skin of the fuselage and I understand that was in good condition.

Your reservations about an Air Eng might be very valid, however I will be surprised to see this a/c having to descend to an operational height of 250ft, for the likes of photography, fishery protection etc. With an integrated and working EOSDS there should be little need to go down that low.

If data fusion is successful in an operational environment this will be an excellent Multi Mission aircraft.

Flak Jacket
31st Aug 2004, 17:18
Small Spinner,

Although there may be EO on board that will help in the fishery protection etc side of the Nimrod role. There will always be the Search and Rescue side where for accuracy the lower the better. Also for operations where the cloud base prevents work from the upper/ middle air.

I think also that the aircraft should be re-named to the Nimrod MMA. This will reflect the fact that this will be a true multi-role aircraft in the same way as the current incumbent is becoming.

FJ

buoy15
31st Aug 2004, 21:48
Small Spinner - Good spot mate!
The Nimrod has always been the only true multi role combat aircraft in the RAF inventory.

Anyone remember the original MRCA ? - Tornado! - what a joke

NiMROD - One fuel load, One cew, One set of rations and for 8 hours - (12 0n the MRA4) plus refuel for extended SAR etc. can do at least 6 mission changes whislt airborne without whingeing.

Love many - trust a few - always paddle you own canoe

Small Spinner
1st Sep 2004, 05:23
FJ
You're right about the accuracy of SAR drops, but if the EOSDS works as advertised, and apart from v.low cloud base, the necessity to go down that low will be much reduced.

I just get the feeling that this aircraft is going to become a real star, especially with the lords and masters.

Navaleye
1st Sep 2004, 10:27
I think its very unlikely that the MRA4 will now be axed and much to The Gorilla's eternal shame it will fly in Sqn service.. The MoD has talked about a "reduced threat" from submarines - true (but still a threat), but the old bus has lots of very useful roles in this net centric warfare game the MoD has been wittering on about. No chance of getting 16 IMHO.

According to BAE's press release, PA1 is a test and development aircraft not a product model.

-- Under a contract awarded in December 1996, and amended in 2002, BAE Systems was contracted to build an 18-strong fleet of Nimrod MRA4 aircraft, the Royal Air Force’s new Maritime, Reconnaissance and Attack aircraft. The contract was subject to further renegotiation in 2003, separating out the design and development phase (3 aircraft) from an option for production (15 aircraft). More recently, on 21 July 2004, the Secretary of State for Defence talked about the nation's maritime reconnaissance requirement being met in future by a fleet of 'around 12' Nimrod MRA4 aircraft..

Charlie Luncher
1st Sep 2004, 17:37
Firstly Mighty Hunter you always been dumb:p

Secondly if MPA are all about fisheries and dare I say it ASW, (read USW, UBM or new NCW mumbo jumbo) why have I been without beer for so long - I am even more cranky than usual:suspect:

For the mad monkey and all the other up to date folks get up with the times - no no sit in your crewrooms and train cabins and spout:*
Damn it you got me at it now
I need a beer:{
Charlie sends

Strato Q
2nd Sep 2004, 08:46
Charlie - I've tried never to say this (always left it to the parrot behind my right shoulder) "I concur", when the monkey and mbga9pgf understand what the current version does then I may take some notice of their prophecies.

"lack of a flight engineer for 250ft work" :confused:

"country no longer has a requirement for the MRA's of any model" - better bring the boys back from the Gulf then:ok:

"but as a maritime recon aircraft.... never" - pretty strong words:mad:

"but I could never see any maritime role re-emerging.... You just have to look across NATO procurement to twig that one, with numerous NATO countries slashing any maritime support contingent." - USA MMA? Australia - recent upgrade, Japan 100+ P3s to replace, even the Kiwis have just approved an upgrade, there is obviously some Global need for the Maritime role:ok:

"fishery protection etc side of the Nimrod role" - not in the last decade:O

FJ- why not name it Nimrod Multi Role Aircraft 4, MRA4 for short so we can get rid of all those frebbies from BAe still at airshows.

Charlie - there's a Speights on ice if you can make Fincastle.

ppf
2nd Sep 2004, 15:23
Hello all just a couple of questions I was wondering about. The first aircraft PA01 will undergo to my knowledge various stages of testing of avionics, flight systems etc etc. Will subsequent aircraft (if there are any obviously) be subject to the same testing or will they undergo a 'lesser' check i.e. to see if the aircraft works as I presume the systems and kit onboard will already be up and running and tested on prior aircraft?

Apologises if any of this has been covered before! :D

ppf ;)

Small Spinner
2nd Sep 2004, 17:50
ppf

Apart from certain essential handling tests to prove that PA2 and PA3 behave the same as PA1, the a/c will be assumed to have the same envelope clearances as PA1.

As a result these mission systems a/c can go straight in to the multitude of avionics tests required to demonstrate the aircraft's capability.

Once the customer is satisfied with the level of maturity, they will then make the decision to carry on with the production order.

ppf
2nd Sep 2004, 21:04
Cheers much Small Spinner that’s cleared up a few things for me, I had visions of each aircraft having to go through all the tests, though that might take years!! But then again why not wait a few more years then it’s already a bit behind schedule!!

ppf :ok:

airborne_artist
2nd Sep 2004, 21:06
Anyone remember the original MRCA ? - Tornado! - what a joke

The "original" MRCA was the Mosquito - perhaps one of the best aircraft the RAF ever had the pleasure operating.

I_c_oldpeople
30th Sep 2004, 18:55
At the mo the Mr2 is no more than a glorified uav.

Mra4 offers little and makes a only good, slow rcs target instead.

While it flies it will be no more than a sitting duck.

Hand the programme to the Navy and see how long it lasts......

Onion rings with that order Sir?

grousehunter
30th Sep 2004, 19:28
You obviously have no idea of the amount of work that the Nimrod Fleet actually does ALL THE TIME. No other aircraft type in the RAF consistantly carries out operations (other than SH etc) from its home base and from all over the world. You are living in a dream world if you think that all the MR2 is "is a glorified UAV". All I can say is that when the MR4 comes into service it will offer greater flexibilty and sensors that will create a first class platform. At present the MR2 is in demand from all the services, because of its great flexibility, and it does those jobs even though the airframe is 40+ years old!

Get a grip man.

I_c_oldpeople
30th Sep 2004, 20:25
"You are living in a dream world if you think that all the MR2 is "is a glorified UAV".
MMMM so WHAT is the ONLY true operational role its doing?
As for the rest of your comments,
The cold war is OVER.
The rod is a wonderful beast but then again , so was tsr2.
Time to stop living in the past, AEW3 failed and they chopped up far more airframes to get that working.....
Long live the "mighty" merlin.....
I bow to your superior use of punctuation.:ok:

santiago15
30th Sep 2004, 21:30
ICOP,

Put your fishing rod down and step away from the computer!

buoy15
1st Oct 2004, 01:54
Small Spinner - spot on

GORILLA - most aircraft have a design life of about 48k hours - albeit at high level - Nimrod had a 'dogs life' factor built in to operate at low level with lots of turning and burning. Where the spec was 6mm they made it 8mm and so on. The frames being converted had on average 16k hours and were thoroughly NDT'd and computer recorded. I spoke to the project manager in the early days after a 'warts and all' presentation at Poole, and he concluded that if the MRA4 did not materialise, the lads at ISK could rest assured, that flying the exsisting Mk2 is well safe - with it's initial build and subsequent maintainence, in his words, it's " a brick sh*t house"

Military jet noise - the sound of freedom!

Dimmer Switch
1st Oct 2004, 07:07
Now the GORILLA.

I thought that seeing the new Mighty Hunter leaping into the air after so long was going to be the high point of my sad, lonely life. I was wrong.

Reading your recent posts, and realising that you are now the MRA4's biggest fan has now become the high point of my life !!!!:D

Also, Souness seems to be making a reasonable fist of it over on the Tyne ?

Cheers

DS

grousehunter
1st Oct 2004, 10:33
ICOP

That will be a bite then!

Sideshow Bob
12th Oct 2004, 15:02
I_c_oldpeople,
if your merlin is so "Mighty", were has it been for the last 2 weeks? Thats right on the deck of a ship whilst the Mighty Hunter does the job it is best at !!!

Si Clik
12th Oct 2004, 17:58
Well chaps, isn't there a whole heap of bitchy knickers going on here.

I think Sideshow has missed the Merlins doing all the additional stuff to Awfully Slow Warfare.

Still if he had the talent to land on a pitching, heaving deck in the dead of night with nothing on the clock etc.....etc he wouldn't have been streamed multi after failing all the othre courses.

Fishing rod out

Bait cast

Stands back to wait for very big splash!

Sideshow Bob
12th Oct 2004, 21:14
Poor old Si Clik, wasn't allowed out last week and now he's getting nasty. The only time ASW is slow is in a helo. By the way not everybody wants to be a glorified taxi driver, so I was never streamed, but if you'd checked my profile you'd of known that. Yet again an Air Eng has to point out the obvious to a pilot !!!