PDA

View Full Version : Deep Vein Thrombosis [DVT]

markham320
2nd Jun 2004, 18:07
Hey there just wanted to bring up this topic about DVT. DVT is becoming a threat and increasingly popular among passengers. One acquires DVT if he/she stays a great deal of time sitting down doing nothing.

In this case, a blood clot (thrombus) that develops in a deep vein, usually in the leg. This can happen if the vein is damaged or if the flow of blood slows down or stops. About one in 2,000 people in the UK develops a DVT each year.

Deep vein thrombosis can cause pain in the leg, and can lead to complications if it breaks off and travels in the bloodstream to the lungs.

If the cloth proceeds to the lungs, it is now called a Pulmonary Embolism which only 1 in 10 survive. I wanted to bring this about as my friend has just acquired it, and it is very threatining.

Happy landings and safe flights!

Fly Stimulator
2nd Jun 2004, 18:11
DVT is becoming a threat and increasingly popular among passengers.
I wanted to bring this about as my friend has just acquired it
Has the inventor of bpilatus struck again?

markham320
2nd Jun 2004, 19:42
Fly stimulator, I really did not understand your reply

Corporate Yank
2nd Jun 2004, 23:44
My second DVT in 6 years turned into a PE some 18 months ago. If you even think that you are winded after climbing a flight of stairs, seek help quickly Yes, it's pretty serious business, but by getting early medical help, we short circuited the process before it became fatal. Nine months later, I have a FAA class II medical in hand. Resign yourself to coumadin therapy (anticoagulation) for the rest of your days. It's my understanding that a substitute named "EXANTA?" (astra-zeneca) has been approved and in use in Europe. Our food & drug administration is still testing it and hasn't released it for sale yet. -CY

markham320
5th Jun 2004, 16:57
Corporate Yank, are you taking medication for life, or there's no longer need for your PE?

Safe flights

Bird Strike
6th Jun 2004, 01:02
Hahaha, Fly Simulator! :}