PDA

View Full Version : Honor Egger H.E.A.T. PNG

Taildragger
2nd Jun 2004, 12:53
For those that knew her, this morning , June 2, 2004 Cairns time
Honor Egger of former H.E.A.T Lae passed away after suffering from a rare illness. Honor was 56.
She was commonly known amongst pilots in PNG as Copt. Nipples
(For reasons we will draw a veil over) and was flying around the Territory for almost 30 years.
Many of you out there will have got their start in Aviation with HEAT in Vanimo or Lae, and have now moved on to greater things.
One of the characters that populated PNG Aviation.
Vale Honor

Torres
2nd Jun 2004, 23:38
Sad indeed. Farewell Capt Nipples. You are forgiven for the problems I always had getting you to pay your maintenance bills!

Truly another colourful character in the PNG aviation industry has moved on.

Torres

Travelling Toolbox
3rd Jun 2004, 05:27
Capt. Nips

We butted heads a few times over the years and eventually agreed to disagree - albeit with Jean K's intervention.

56 is far too soon.

R.I.P. Honor

OzExpat
3rd Jun 2004, 08:12
This is a surprise and a shock at the same time. I last saw her at the Cairns Dero, about two years (or so) ago. She was still trying to return to PNG then. I agree that 56 is much too soon.

Yet another of the true characters of PNG who has gone finish for the last time.

RIP Honor.

Pinky the pilot
3rd Jun 2004, 10:36
I never met her but vaguely remember speaking with her on the 'phone back in my Simbu days. Heard heaps about her 'tho.
Incidentally, early this morning I lost a friend and fellow aviator; passed on at the age of 46.
46 or 56; both far too young!:{
May both RIP

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

Taildragger
3rd Jun 2004, 22:01
A little bit more info. Honor died from Scleroderma, which is a rare disease which hardens the body tissues externally and the internal organs as well. It seems, from what I have gleaned from the web, that it literally turns the body to stone.
I understand from someone who visited Honor 3 days before she passed away, that he is still traumatised from seeing her in that state. Not fair on anyone to endure that. Sounds like a blessed relief to me.

troppo
3rd Jun 2004, 23:43
I remember turning up in PNG looking for a job during Christmas 1993. Word had it that she was looking for a 206 driver. I met with her at the old dero but ongoing problems with DCA led to her last balus (P2-FHZ if I remember right) being pushed up against the fence down by the old TNA office and put up for sale before she headed south.
As a young and impressionable lad back then I will remember her as being the first person to show an interest in employing somone with bugger all hours.
:(

ausflyer
4th Jun 2004, 08:32
Thank you Honnor for the days in Nadzab and Wau.

RIP

MJ aka Ausflyer....................