PDA

View Full Version : Windows cannot find.......

Binoculars
2nd Jun 2004, 12:23
Problems with my trusty laptop. Shortcuts to virtually all programs don't work. Clicking on the W icon for Microsoft Word gets me

"Windows cannot find C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE. Make sure you typed the name correctly then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button and then click Search."

OK, I search for Winword.exe and there it is in all its glory right where it should be. Double clicking on the icon direct gets me exactly the same error message! Que??

I managed to get the antivirus checker to scan the drive even though I initially got the same message; it found a couple of worms and deleted them. (Cissi worm and Proride? I think)REbooted the system, no change.

Hmm, thinks I, I know it was working two weeks ago before I took it away with me, let's do a System Restore. Nope... "Windows cannot find C;|Windows|System32\Restore\RSTRUI.EXE"....etc etc

Go to Windows\System32 and there is RSTRUI.EXE in all its glory. Double clicking brings up the same error message.

Attempts to get Adaware and/or Spybot to check the system bring up the same error message.

Help, anybody?

:confused:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
2nd Jun 2004, 13:17
Binoculars,

It sounds like it is time for either a repair using the WinXP CD or doing a fresh install on top of itself.

No point spending days trying to get your system right again, when chances are it will never be 100%, when a fresh install will take about a half hour.

Take Care,

Richard

Binoculars
2nd Jun 2004, 15:10
Thanks Richard, was rapidly coming to the same conclusion myself.

Too late in the evening to start now, but as I've only ever reinstalled W98 and always formatted the drive before doing so, can I ask you if a fresh install over the top is desirable in XP, or is it worth formatting and reinstalling.

Secondly, while I haven't put the OEM XP CD in yet, I gather from your remarks it has a repair facility. Any comments on its effectiveness would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Binos

Naples Air Center, Inc.
2nd Jun 2004, 18:15
Binoculars,

I would say you have a 50% chance of it working with the repair. As for installing on top of itself without doing a format, I do it all the time.

Take Care,

Richard