PDA

View Full Version : Virgin rosters + conditions?

richxby
2nd Jun 2004, 01:16
Hiya

Just a quickie, searched most of the Virgin topics etc but couldn't really find an answer to what I wanted.

Can anyone help me with the following questions please?!

I'm pretty sure Virgin don't have a bidding system for trips but what are the chances of requesting certain trips and how frequently can you do it if at all?

Whats the standard of accommodation like on trips, ie is it in nice city hotels, or are you stuck out by the airport?

And finally on average how many trips per month are you rostered and do you have to have so many days off inbetween trips?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Rich.x

sinala1
2nd Jun 2004, 03:43
Hi Rich

To answer your questions:

"I'm pretty sure Virgin don't have a bidding system for trips but what are the chances of requesting certain trips and how frequently can you do it if at all?"

A: We are getting bidding coming in as of August rosters, based on a points system - you get 1000 points per month, and you have up to 5 bids - you allocate certain amounts of points to whatever you want (certain days off, certain overnights, general overnights over say a week etc) in order of priority. After rosters are allocated, you can still swap with fellow crew

"Whats the standard of accommodation like on trips, ie is it in nice city hotels, or are you stuck out by the airport?"

A: Most places are nice enough, a couplea dodgy ones, but all up to a certain standard. Nothing to really complain about. Only stuck out at airport if on minimum rest (less than 12.5 hours)

"And finally on average how many trips per month are you rostered and do you have to have so many days off inbetween trips?"

A: Varies month to month, depending on time of year etc. Generally expect 4 day trips. At the moment there is a lot of reserve going around, and not as many trips as usual - this month I have two 4 day trips, one 2 day trip, and two 4 day blocks of reserve. As far as days off go, generally at least 2 off in a row, this month I have 2 blocks of 3 days off.

Hope that answers your questions! Good luck with applying!

richxby
2nd Jun 2004, 05:42
Thanks for that info!

Sounds good about the bidding, must be a fairer way like that? So I could request all the Las Vegas, Miami + Caribbean trips if I wanted then hehe?! Not that you'd get them all!!

smile
2nd Jun 2004, 05:55
Looks like some wires have been crossed here.

Sinala1 is talking about Virgin Blue and it looks like richxby is asking after info about Virgin atlantic.

sinala1
2nd Jun 2004, 09:01
Ahh yes sorry folks, was referring to Virgin Blue, not Atlantic - sorry Rich!!! Good luck with Atlantic though, I am sure you will love it there... I dont think they have bidding, but surely you can swap trips and request ones you want...

Cheers

Ps Thanks Smile!! :p

richxby
2nd Jun 2004, 19:07
hehe sorry to confuse you guys, yes I did mean VS (Atlantic!) Nevermind thanks anyway + enjoy yourself @ Blue :-)

Virgin82
2nd Jun 2004, 22:30
Hey Rich!

I have worked for Virgin for two years.

Trips per month are 4 - 5. Have either two - three days off per trip. Never any less.

So if you land from Hong Kong on Monday Morning say 6am, your days off start on tuesday and back flying Friday.

Hotels are fine most in areas close to city and attractions.

After one year or six months can not remember. - You can request a trip per month or days off.

You can also swap flights for others or days off, Virgin are very good with this.

for example I swap a 1 trip a month for days off and you can have up to 8 days in a row.

Just have to know the system etc.

If you need any more info PM me.

x

Northern Star
3rd Jun 2004, 20:49
Rich

Just to back up what Virgin 82 has said.

Virgin probably have one of the best and most flexible bidding/swapping roster systems.

We can bid for one trip or 2 days off every roster period (Once you have completed your 6 mth probation). Bids are allocated in seniority but if you work the system ie request less popular weekend trips you normally get what you request.

Once the roster is published and up to 48 hours before a rostered trip you can swap flights with another crew member and this is quite common. I prefer LGW flights for example so will often try and find someone to take my LHR flights. It is easily done and crewing are extremely helpful and happy to accommodate where they can, provided you dont try and abuse the system or make a nuisance of yourself!!

Most full time rosters will have 5 trips, but could be less if you happen to have a lot of longer trips.

As Virgin82 says, you will be rostered a minimum of 2 days off after a trip, although 3 days are rostered after West Coast, Far East and S.Africa trips. On the odd occassion you may get more than that but it isnt common.

You can normally expect to get a block of either 3 or 4 days standby per month, but again you can try and get a trip before standby and with it being really busy at the moment you can almost guarantee you will be called out.

Most of our hotels are central and of a high standard.

Generally we are very luck at Virgin, as I believe that with many other airlines you are more limited with requests etc... my last airline was very much like your roster or lump it!!

I hope the info has helped, but let me know if you need any more.

Regards
Northern Star