PDA

View Full Version : Flying in the US

A340_rulez
1st Jun 2004, 22:26
If an Englishman had an FAA ATP and al the relevant qualifications and visas. what are his chances of gaining employment with an American carrier.
Do amercan carriers prefer to employ Americans or do they employ from a variety of Nationalities?
I ask this because after a lot of research, it appears the only way i will become an Airline pilot is by gaining an american licence and therefore working for an American carrier.

regards
A340

Hufty
2nd Jun 2004, 09:10
There have been quite a few discussions about this and the conclusion seems to be that you really need to be a US citizen, even if you have all the right paperwork. I would point out that I have no first hand experience, just summarising what others have said. Try the North America forum too as you may get a few UK nationals over there who have some real experience!

Good luck,

Hufty.

scroggs
2nd Jun 2004, 10:15
You will not have a snowball's chance in hell of working for an American carrier unless you have the right to live and work in the US - which essentially means you must be a US citizen. If you are not one now, and you aren't likely to marry one, it will take you many years - and that's if you can get a green card.

Oh, and don't forget that something like 10,000 US pilots were made unemployed post 9/11. Most of them are still out of work. And Southwest and JetBlue are about the only US carriers in profit - most of the big ones are in Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. The US commercial aviation scene is a disaster area - and you want to go there??

Scroggs

A340_rulez
2nd Jun 2004, 11:00
Thanks for the advice!
Scroggs For me it isnt really a matter of wanting to go there it is more along the lines of I have to go there if i want to fly.
I can't get a JAA or CAA class 1 medical because of my eyesight but i would be able to get an FAA class 1 medical so thats my reason for asking.
But thanks anyway!

A340

Fair_Weather_Flyer
4th Jun 2004, 11:42
You can work in the States on a J-1 visa as a flying instructor for a couple of years after training. There are only two ways into the country long term. First is through a H-1 visa which requires a degree and a job offer. Unless you are an experienced JAA FI then at the moment a H-1 is unlikely. The only other way in is through marriage. I've met a few foreign pilots who have got involved in marriages of convenience (MOC) to obtain the green card to stay in the country. One guy was being blackmailed for more money from his "wife." The other bloke worked for a regional turboprop outfit and then flew regional jets. In the end he decided to come "home" to our side of the pond. If that doesn't put you off then there are websites that act as introduction agencies for MOC's. If you do get caught out you may well end up having your collar felt by the cops or thrown out of the country.

Judging by people I know in aviation there are jobs in the States with most of the regionals hiring briskly. Of course there are plenty of people applying for them. Even with a green card, cutting through the security check red tape would be tough for a Brit. If you are "lucky" you can fly RHS in a turboprop for £10,000 per annum for the next three or four years.

I can sympathise with your position. It took me three years and two bouts of LASIK surgery to get my JAA Class 1 medical. Why not ask in the medical forum if there is a way round your problems?

raysalmon
7th Jun 2004, 15:09
OK, time to set the record straight on one or two items.

Firstly, your biggest problem will be immigration. The hurdle here is obtaining your green card.

Secondly, be aware that US law strictly prohibts US companies from discriminating against people who are legally allowed to work in the US. There are a couple of airlines that have tried to make it a US Citizen only profession recently, but have failed miserably. However the airlines do generally restrict employment to US citizens and permanent residents (green card holders). They get away with it because of the requirement to travel internationally, which would be a nightmare for non-immigrant workers.

Thirdly, more extensive background checking is required of non-US citizens which is a hassle and its usefulness is very questionable for many reasons that I will not go into right now. Nonetheless, airlines are hiring non-citizens, although the hiring process is taking a month or two longer for non-US citizens.

Fourthly, there are several regional US airlines that are hiring right now, however it is crucial to understand that most minimum requirements are 1500 total time and 500 multi-engine. Having your FAA ATP is a must to be competitive at most places.

Hope this clears up the details for those of you interested. For credibility's sake, I am a dual UK/US citizen currently in new hire training for a regional US airline.

Ray