PDA

View Full Version : Moving from US to Asia.....your suggestions

varigflier
1st Jun 2004, 20:46
Hi guys,

I am considering moving to Asia soon, more especifically Thailand. I have a Brasilian CPL, IFR and multi rating and a FAA ATPL with about 2500 TT and over 600 multi, 20 hours in 737 level D sim. My background has been mostly instruction. I have applied everywhere in US, south america and asia for the past year and nothing yet. At my current job I have been flying less and less and I am getting tired of the american lifestyle so I just want to get away from everything for a while and experience something new.
Any suggestions as if this is a good move or job prospects for someone like me in Asia or even jobs outside of aviation. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks alot,
Varigflier

MD11Flyer
1st Jun 2004, 21:05
Heres a good one for ya..... Don't pay to have all your belongings shipped. You'll go broke very quickly!

varigflier
1st Jun 2004, 22:35
Luckly I have sold everything already:D

MD11Flyer
2nd Jun 2004, 00:15
Depending where you move, you may find Asia to be rather expensive, don't expect all the freedoms you had in the US. Its a different culture with different people and moreover different mentality on life. May take you a while to get use to how things work in Asia and until you do you may hate it here. Some people see it as a rat hole others as an opportunity to better themselves and their careers. I personally wouldn't stay too long. Make some money and go back home, and you'll be quite well off. Good luck!

Kaptin M
2nd Jun 2004, 00:48
Remember that entering any country on a tourist visa, you are prohibited from working.
If you do find a job you will then need your employer's help in getting a work permit.

In general, Asian countries are much more "police states" than the US and other western countries, prices are generally not fixed - regardless of what the vendor tells you - so that means bartering for just about EVERYTHING you buy, from a TV set to a pair of jeans. Always open your bidding at a price YOU feel is ridiculously low - you can always increase it.
Many more people than you THINK, understand (and often speak) English, although they will, many times, feign a lack of knowledge. So be careful - VERY careful - what you say, because they probably DO understand you!
Expect to get ripped off a couple of times - the old adage, "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is." should always be in the front of your mind whenever you make any transactions.
Understand that some Asian customs and some Western customs are at 180 degress to the other - for example it's considered bad manners by most Asians, to blow your nose into a handkerchief, whereas in the West we are taught as kids NOT to sniffle, but to blow!
Likewise, slurping noodles is the norm in the East, vs to quietly sucking them in.

More than likely there will be one or 2 DEFINITE no-no's - gestures considered extremely offensive (for example, in Singapore and Malaysia NEVER beckon a person to come to you by turning your palm upwards and motioning with your index finger as we westerners do. It might well result in you getting a broken face!)
So try to find out as early as possible what to avoid.

In the poorer parts of most Asian countries, a white skin is seen as someone of far greater wealth than the locals - and, regardless of how little money you actually have in your wallet at the time, it is still probably enough to support a local family for an entire year, so be understanding when dealing with them - your custom will mean a lot.
On the other hand, don't openly flaunt your wealth - you are inviting trouble.

Let us all know how you get on, varigflier. And good luck!

GlueBall
2nd Jun 2004, 14:08
And don't take along your wife/girlfriend to BKK. :ooh:

varigflier
2nd Jun 2004, 14:29
Thanks for the advices guys. Since I was born and raised in Brasil, I am used to the third world country culture a bit and I have been to Asia on vacation a couple of times. As far as taking my girlfriend with me, no need to do that as she lives there already so she will help me with the transition as well. That might be good and bad:oh:
I will definately get more info on the culture as I am not 100% familiar with it and the more someone knows about it, the better that person will be. If you guys have anything else to say, please let me know. I'll keep in touch and let you guys know how it goes.

thank you,
varigflier

Captain Mercurius
8th Jun 2004, 17:21
Dear VarigFlier,

You should hear Kaptin M. advice.

By all means do not play ”Babaca” and try to get in any Asian country as tourist ,and later try to gain a working permit.:cool:

There are few Asian companies hiring FOs ,if you should approach them , if you have the required experience you may get a job.

Good Luck

Mercurius

varigflier
9th Jun 2004, 21:57
Yes, Kaptin M did give some good advice and I will follow them once I move there. I will also check out the asian carriers that are hiring FOs and see what happens. Thanks for all your input.

Varigflier