PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Moth Instructing

muppet
1st Jun 2004, 18:58
Last year I am sure I saw an add for Tiger Moth instructors somewhere but for the life of me I cannot remember where.

If anyone can remember where the add was, or who placed it I would be very grateful for the info.

Thanks, in anticipation.......

juggernaut
2nd Jun 2004, 01:03
Only place in the UK using tigers is Cambridge Aero club, a very romantic idea of white scarves, goggles and an 'Out of Africa' experience but the reality is a battering from the slipstream and a very noisy and cold teaching environment!

IRRenewal
2nd Jun 2004, 05:24
And although pretty to look at they aren't even nice to fly.

FNG
2nd Jun 2004, 06:07
I think that it is correct that only Cambridge runs full-on Tiger Moth PPL courses, but there are Tiger Moth trial lessons/conversions at White Waltham (Avia Special) and at Sywell, and there's the Tiger Club at Headcorn.

PS, you only get battered by the slipstream if not flying straight (in other words, all the time).

foxmoth
2nd Jun 2004, 07:43
When you ask this are you looking to instruct or looking for an instructor? If the second and you are in the South I may be able to help.:ok:

NinjaBill
2nd Jun 2004, 08:49
Full Sutton near york, has a tiger moth, and although they dont advertise PPL courses in the tiger moth, im sure if you asked, they would let people do PPLs in it, and Sherburn near Leeds has another, which they use for 'tiger moth experiences'

I remember the guy there describing it as 'an uncomfortable noisy piece of *****' after having done 3 hours worth of 20 min trial flights.

NB

djpil
2nd Jun 2004, 12:07
I agree with all of the above -
cold - most days of the year I'm rarely tempted to go high enough to spin one
battered by the slipstream - only when the air is smooth can I fly it such that doesn't happen
aren't even nice to fly - be good to have more ailerons
Lucky the owner of the one I fly doesn't get on the internet otherwise he'd beat me up.
I did my Tiger check-out at Cambridge back in the 70's.
Getting to be more Tigers on-line with flying schools in Australia. "Ours" is just for rides.

muppet
3rd Jun 2004, 14:46
Great, thanks for all the advice.

Lots to go on, and I spoke to a chap today who could help me.

jeroom
9th Jun 2004, 01:01
If you live in the US, there is someone in Miami who give rides and instruction in a tiger moth..

whatunion
12th Jun 2004, 15:56
You also need to know why slots prevent leading edge stalls!

foxmoth
12th Jun 2004, 21:14
dH82 has SLATS not slots (slots are fixed, slats go in and out)