PDA

View Full Version : Malaria Tablets

Crowsnest
1st Jun 2004, 17:20
Quite simply;

Can they affect your performance on the Flight Deck?

Have heard some people say they'd rather get Malaria than take them.:\

Thanks in advance.

rotornut
1st Jun 2004, 17:57
I recall you're supposed to take them once a week on the same day and at the same time, I think. When I took mine, a number of years ago, I would feel slightly nauseous but it didn't last too long. Other people have had worse reactions, from what I've heard.

Blinkz
1st Jun 2004, 19:29
it depends what type of tablets you take. I used to live in kenya so have tried quite alot. The newest (when I was there) was larium and whilst I had no problem with these my mum had alot of trouble with shivers, nausea and hallucinations.

Obviously not good for flight decks ;)

Bad medicine
1st Jun 2004, 21:49
As Blinkz says, it depends a lot on the type of medication, which in turn depends on where you are going. There is a huge variation in resistance to medication between malarious areas.

Many jurisdictions (notably militaries) do not allow flying on Lariam (mefloquine) because of the side effects. These can include hallucinations, and other neuropsychiatric effects.

The best advice is to see an AME with an interest in travel medicine (many of them do) to get the best medicine for the area that is still compatible with flying.

Cheers,

BM

gingernut
2nd Jun 2004, 08:34
Unfortunately, it comes down to risk vs benefit.

The good old mossie remains the biggest killer of man.

9 people in the UK died of malaria last year.

Most were returning from Africa.

Larium (mefloquine), is the most effective preventative drug, but, as BM points out, has an undesirable side effect profile. (According to my source it is contra-indicated in those performing "precision activities" including pilots.)

There is an alternative, called "Malarone" which is, I think, less effective, and costs about £70 for 1-2 weeks.

Don't forget the non-drug measures (see here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98899&highlight=mefloquine) )

Cheers

aztruck
2nd Jun 2004, 09:32
Cerebral malaria can kill you in days. Cerebral malaria is widespread in West Africa and has killed aircrew, it's very nasty.
Malarone and Doxycycline are 2 prophylactic anti malarials in common use for aircrew, along with covering yourself in DEET and nets etc etc to stop getting bitten in the first place(mossies also carry Dengue fever btw).
Both have side effects, usually tummy related, but I reckon the alternative is not acceptable. Check out health.iafrica.com and lookup malaria/malarone.
Incidentally, I know an opthalmic nurse who contracted Cerebral malaria whilst in Africa and was treated for it down there. She said that the treatment was excellent, but the disease left her confused and forgetful/ unable to complete complex tasks, for several months after being declared clear of the parasite.

Tokunbo
3rd Jun 2004, 11:44
Crowsnest,
I started a thread on Rotorheads asking if Exxon wee violting my human rights by forcing me to take anti-malarial tablets. There is a lot of information on that thread about the various anti-malarials, especially from RD Rickster.
The most effective prophylaxis basically depends on which part of the world you are visiting as there are different strains of malaria in different areas and you have to take the prophylaxis most suitable to the area you are to visit.
I only object t having to take them long-term and have no doubt as to their effectiveness. Here in West Africa, the most common form of malaria is Falciparum Malaria. This is also the deadliest and fastest acting. Malaraone is very effective, but expensive, and has nasty side effects in a lot of people (mostly heartburn and mouth ulcers). These would probably not be serious enough to affect your performance on the Flight Deck. Larium is very effective but many airlines, such as my own, ban its use by flight crew because of the possible mental disorders. The other effective pophylaxis is Doxycycline, the main side-effect of which is to make you more prone to sunburn if you are light-skinned. If you are woman it may also mak you more liable to contract 'thrush'.
Hope that helps. Check RD Rickster's links which give a lot of valuable information.

Kaptin M
3rd Jun 2004, 12:19
Read the fine print on these "anti" malarial drugs.
In fact, they do not prevent you from getting malaria (the parasite), but act to prevent the symptoms, and not the actual infection.

I became particularly interested in "anti" malarial drugs, after my child of 4 years exhibited a reaction (within about 3 or 4 hours) of taking Chloroquin and Malaparim.
His skin erupted in "hives" and he was "itchy all over. The antedote prescribed in this case was an anti-histamine (Polarimine).

The effect on the others in my family was severe tiredness, and lethargy for the next 48 hours.

Eighteen months - 2 years later, our little boy - who was now 5 y.o. - was diagnosed with AML, acute myeloid leukaemia - a blood disorder (basically) originating in the bone marrow, which in kids is the spinal cord and joints..esp. the knee joints.

Whilst he was in hospital, a 15 year old girl was admitted in the bed alongside.
She and her family had just migrated to Australia, from South Africa. She was the only girl, in a family of 3 children, and her name was Ashley.

Ashley, her 2 brothers, and her parents had spent the last couple of weeks farewelling friends, but were reminded at one friend's house to take their anti-malarial tablets.
It dawned on them, that in the "frenzy" of their packing, they had forgotten to leave out the tablets that they usually used, and so their friends suggested that they use the same drugs they had been taking, albeit different ones to those which Ashley's family had been using, and take the remainder of the packet with them.

A couple of weeks later, Ashley was becoming noticably more tired, and looking pale.
A blood test indicated that she was anaemic, and that the cause of the anaemia needed to be investigated.

Further blood tests revealed that Ashley was suffering from aplastic anaemia - a condition where the bone marrow production of blood cells is suppressed - and is also warned against, as a possible side affect of taking the drug, in the fine print!!

Quite frankly speaking, I believe that the risks of taking internal "anti" malarial drugs, FAR outweigh the risks involved of applying anti-mosquito lotion and wearing protective clothing (long sleeved shirts and pants).

I cannot PROVE that so-called "anti" malarial drugs caused ny son's leukaemia.
I can say - from information given to me by Ashley's parents - that her aplastic anaemia more than certainly DID result from the usage of those tablets!

Blinkz
3rd Jun 2004, 13:08
As has been suggested, the best way to stop yourself getting malaria is to not get bitten in the first place. Avoid going outside after dark, wear lots of anti-mozzie stuff etc.

mini
3rd Jun 2004, 21:14
Larium, is effective just about anywhere, but may have nasty side effects in some individuals. I find that up to three months its OK, after that it makes me tired, I had one hallucination, woke up in the night, albeit after a glass of wine, but it made me realise the effect.

I work with an expert on malaria, his advice is to acquire a treatment stock of ACT (Coartem) and forget about the prophylactics. use a bed net, DEET, long sleves etc. get yourself a slide kit to take blood samples and know how to use it i.e. take samples before taking treatment.

Educate yourself on the symptoms and the neccesary action. Delay can kill.

Doctors differ, patients die.

pzu
5th Jun 2004, 09:07
See recent article from UK Daily Telegraph (expat.telegraph) of 31st May 2004

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml;sessionid=0JYLAK30A15NLQFIQMGCM54AVCBQUJVC?xml=/global/2004/05/31/newsmal290504.xml&sSheet=/global/2004/06/03/home.html&secureRefresh=true&_requestid=46653

Pzu - Out of Africa

flyhardmo
5th Jun 2004, 09:38
Guys check out the afica forum. There are a few pages on malaria prevention and treatment most from first hand experience.
Best advice, Dont take anything longterm, cover up and carry a box of aristunate wherever you go.
Hope it helps:ok:
Mo

BOAC
5th Jun 2004, 10:51
flyhard - can you post a link to the thread please?

Crowsnest
9th Jun 2004, 10:07
Thanks everyone, keep them coming.

Those links are excellent.

Sterling advice.

flyhardmo
14th Jun 2004, 21:20
sorry im late.. wasnt paying attention but here it is
http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127485 (http://)