PDA

View Full Version : Gloucestershire Airport 27/09

cheesycol
1st Jun 2004, 16:24
The rumour mill grinds on......

It appears that rwy 27/09 will be shut, mon-fri, for at least a month from mid-July. This is in order to remove the large hump/dip in the rwy and improve drainage. This in turn should increase braking ability (v.useful to larger biz jets that seem determined not to backtrack after rollout on 09!). In the process the width of 27/09 will also be reduced to 30m, from the 37m it currently is.

The plan, I believe, is to allow light GA operations on 22/04 and 18/36 during the week, and any jet traffic will operate on 27/09 on the weekend, until the works are complete.

Codman
1st Jun 2004, 20:07
Look on the bright side. Beef up the runway and some lo-cost chappies will be in there like rats up drain pipes to provide the local population with cheap services to places they never considered going to!:E

cb9002
2nd Jun 2004, 11:24
Hmmm, low costs? Maybe, except for the houses at both ends of the runway!

Cheesycol, why reduce runway width? Is it to cut future maintenance costs?

cb9002

tekel
2nd Jun 2004, 12:14
Simple, cut a width and it looks longer!
tekel

Chilli Monster
2nd Jun 2004, 12:52
Never fear - nice airfield just down the M5 with a long, wide runway, ILS both ends and radar will take you :)

Snigs
2nd Jun 2004, 14:16
Chilli,

Is that the one you can land a light airplane across the runway in severe x-winds!? ;)

cheesycol
2nd Jun 2004, 17:29
cb9002:

From what I gather, the whole circus is going to cost enough without having to repave a 37m wide runway, so it will be narrowed. Possibly something to do with drainage as well.

Bailed Out
3rd Jun 2004, 08:08
The idea behind “beefing it up” may be to provide extra hardcore for when they bulldoze the whole lot and put houses on it

(Ref: - local rag, last week - or is that just an example of more quality UK Journalism)

matspart3
3rd Jun 2004, 08:28
The operators were advised on Tuesday that 09/27 would be shut Mon-Fri from 2nd August for 3 weeks, the remainder of the work being carried out overnight during the last week of the month.

The 30m width brings the runway into line with the Code 2 Licensing criteria and, of course, reduces ongoing costs. The existing 'shoulders' will remain however and the 'hump' will be removed.

Chilli
It's not the size, it's what you do with it that counts...and your hump is much bigger than ours!!!

Snigs
3rd Jun 2004, 13:56
So, is the hump being removed, or the dip being filled in, or perhaps both? :p

Does this mean that the airfield QNH and threshold QNH are going to be the same now? That's always a pain to explain to the studes.

I shall also look forward to some smoother landings on 09 now, never again having to explain to the studes, "yes you did flare at the right height, it's just that the runway drops away from underneath you, next time try landing on the numbers!!" :cool:

Chilli Monster
3rd Jun 2004, 14:53
Snigs
Does this mean that the airfield QNH and threshold QNH are going to be the same now? That's always a pain to explain to the studes.
I really hope you mean QFE ;)

Matspart3
It's not the size, it's what you do with it that counts...and your hump is much bigger than ours!!!
Think yourself lucky you're off for 4 days - I was going to come up and abuse you for that one :)

Anyways - ours isn't a hump - it's a ski-jump! :D

Snigs
3rd Jun 2004, 22:15
Errm <swallows pride> yes, of course I do. Typo :O

PPRuNeUser0215
6th Jun 2004, 22:47
Thanks very much but keep that hump where it is... I believe I am the owner of that one!!!
Chilli Monster when will you be in NCE next?
Mastpart3, I should be in GOS sometimes in July, fancy a beer (the ex expat has invited me before his house becomes teo crowded)
Snigs... How s the job hunting?

Snigs
7th Jun 2004, 09:34
Still hunting mate! :sad:

Let me know when you're around GOS (GST), if I'm not teaching, I'll buy you a beer as well.

nasib
7th Jun 2004, 21:39
Ames,
Why is it your hump?
Are you bringing your shiney 757 when you come visiting?

Snigs,
Don't encourage him. He can buy the drinks now!

Nasib

PPRuNeUser0215
8th Jun 2004, 14:12
Nasib, you should know that I don't need a 75 to make holes in runways.... A PA28 or a seneca is plenty enough for me. Coupled with a high flare and the greatest feeling of all.... The sinking feeling!!! ;)

Snigs, i ll let u know when I am at BRS and yes you can buy me a beer ;)

360BakTrak
9th Jun 2004, 13:51
AMEX.....ex expat? whats that supposed to mean?! If you're lucky I'll let you lose MY house keys this time!!!
I think a BBQ is long overdue...........;)

Chilli Monster
9th Jun 2004, 20:52
Do I detect a possible Bristol / Glos mini-bash :D

Sounds good to me.

Snigs
1st Sep 2004, 13:03
I notice with the usual consternation that AMEX's hump is still there!! :confused:

What's the reason why the work hasn't been done? Is the rumoured takeover by a private concern something to do with it per chance?

:\

matspart3
4th Sep 2004, 09:59
In a word, no.

Interesting times ahead though;)

360BakTrak
14th Sep 2004, 12:10
What do you mean by 'interesting'?!:E

Snigs
14th Sep 2004, 12:31
Yes, come on, you can't leave it hanging like that....:E

PPRuNeUser0215
23rd Sep 2004, 09:10
Gloucestershire to be renamed and a low cost to start from there ;)

360BakTrak
23rd Sep 2004, 21:24
Yeah, its gonna be called Fred West International...........rumour has it they'll be laying a new patio soon.........:E

Snigs
24th Sep 2004, 11:00
Ahh, a new patio. Just the place to have an "illegal" BBQ. :8 :ok: