PDA

View Full Version : Hello Africa

Socal 60
1st Jun 2004, 04:58
Greetings to everyone,

Here we go.. my first posting on this terrific site!

I am departing for Africa in a few short weeks to fly for a charter operation based in Tanzania (DAR). If all goes well it will hopefully be a good experience and certainly a welcome break from flight instructing.

My excitement and curiosity are growing by the day. Have any of you flown in Tanzania? Any advice for a first time visitor? I am somewhat in tune with the Malaria topic from other travels and from all of the resources in these forums, so I would particularly be interested in advice for a pilot's "daily life" in the region.

Thank you for your input.

manamana
1st Jun 2004, 16:06
AIDS is now a bigger killer than malaria. Remember that.

Rhodie
1st Jun 2004, 18:40
1. Watch your money - the dollar is the most sought after commodity there and you will be relieved of vast amounts very skillfully if not careful.

2. Rog. Mana on the aids - stay AWAY from the temptations you WILL be offered (in exchange for the dollars) :E

3. Dont fly Air Tanzania. I was nearly first in line at the Kempton Park Wimpy one day, the take off from 03L at JIA was more of a thrust / drag / lift miracle than flight...!

4. There is a big mountain there - try to avoid hitting it...! :ok:

Cheers

R

1st Jun 2004, 18:45
At least you can choose who you want to pick up Aids from. Not so with Malaria.......

stop&go
1st Jun 2004, 18:54
Pass on the nightfighters and the mini bar !!
Enjoy

ShenziRubani
1st Jun 2004, 18:56
Socal60, great news. Who are you gonna fly for in Dar, Coastal? Listen, I spent 10 years in Tanzania, it's a great country, a great place to live. The aviation community is very small so you're going to know everyone soon enough. No real advices to give you, everybody will be helpful. The pilots are all cool.
Just protect yourself against malaria, as for AIDS, it's like everywhere else, and probably not as bad as South Africa, even if it doesn't look that way.
Dar is very hot. The airport is big, all approaches you need are there.

Do I miss it? Yes I do, even if I am very happy to be in the US now, I miss the flying and the good life.

helldog
2nd Jun 2004, 09:13
Yeah mate. Top place. Lots of jobs at the mo. Drop me a line when you are here. I am based in Arusha.

Take it easy tiger.

Karibu sana

PM me later

406pilot
4th Jun 2004, 18:34
hmmmm hmmm socal 60...san diego...hmm hmm

like we say in this wonderful land "karibu sana"...its a very short world here so i guess ur gonna be working for flightlink...he he told u it was a small world...

as far as vacancies are concerned there should be plenty thx to us carrier minded fellas who took that final "leap of faith",,,,im still not a anything else other then "used to be a 406pilot...

malaria yes a killer definately,but AIDS very large aswell atleast there are drugs for malaria,for more info on preventive maintenance on AIDS kindly speak to mr.helldog he seems to be the only guy i seen alive for so long in the battle..if u ask me plenty of gr8 babes in san diego so i suppose u get ur dose of vanilla frm there and stay off the chocolate here

flying is very unique here if i get used to it...its heaven....otherz pack their bags and leave(gps seems to be a no-go item over here)..navaids huh wht are those????

once again karibu sana

no more a 406pilot (but nothing else either until the 9th june) he he knew u guys were curious

hey rhodie,

i like the way u said dont fly "air tanzania" ...why didnt u give me that sound advised when i joined this company and still regretting
bahh bahh(crying)
still waiting to be trained since february..all in the urge to fly jets

all in good faith aswell

no more a 406pilot but......

cpt hamna sheeda
5th Jun 2004, 14:48
Wich companies are looking for pilots at he moment? Coastal, Northern Air? Or the Mwanza based companies.

ShenziRubani
7th Jun 2004, 02:10
Hey 406Pilot, don't worry ndugu, everything will happen as planned !!??eeer... or not. Still weird to see the Rhodies saying "don't fly Air Tanzania" when this matatu company belongs to SAA. I guess we shouldn't fly SAA then. Ha ha... Things change and evolve Dudes!!
Hey 406pilot, check this website www.canadianspotlight.com and click on the picture of David Hempleman-Adams. I am working for him at the moment. Will bring the ndege (pink!!) back from South America.
Baadai

goonaboy
13th Jun 2004, 11:12
Tanzania's a stunning place to fly, great bush terrrain and islands oh and the most comprehensive NavAid system south of the equator ;) To live here extremely chilled out and laid back, ppl here dont suffer heart attacks, strokes or break-downs!!!!!!!!

With the Malaria, if you're staying here for more than about 12 weeks, long term affects of taking anti-malaria prophelactics aren't known - doxitab and maloron are the two i was told u can fly on, doxi aren't so gd and maloron are v expensive.
If you carry Coarten, which is pretty much the best combination treatment, it will kill all the malaria parasites within a few days - thats personal experience! I dont take anti-malaria, its simply easier to treat malaria, and it is a straight cure!!

As for AIDS, dont let it out in Q bar, if you gotta let it out double-bag it no matter who the chick is, this is Africa and you never know where they've been!!!!!!

Otherwise, have a gd trip down here and i know i'll see you in dar
:ok: :ok:

shenzi_rubani_HTAR
29th Jun 2004, 20:16
Malaria? Hamna shida! Use konyagi and Kili to keep your blood pure. I use it still to keep my blood clean.
shenzirubani, ie mini me. Check Six

Gravox
1st Jul 2004, 02:58
I've been thinking about making the move over to Africa for a while now. What would it be like for the other half? She is a primary school teacher by profession, but English is her second language. She likes the idea of moving to Africa. how would tanzania treat a white woman? Could she find work, or is it better to leave her behind.....

Cheers

cpt hamna sheeda
1st Jul 2004, 09:17
Hi Gravox,

4 yrs ago i flew in Tanzania and looked for a teaching job for my wife as well. There are lots of possibilities to find one. Make a round at the Masaki peninsula (where all the embassy people live) and just visit the schools. All the schools there claim to be international schools and a western teacher will boost there image so they are quite happy to hire one. But as for the pilots, you have to take care of your work permit yourself and money is often at local standards. You can also give private education to the expat kids.

Good luck

PS the Masaki peninsula is in Dar es Salaam, but in Arusha and Moshi there will be possibilities as well.

PS

The Masaki peninsula is in Dar es Salaam, but in Arusha and Moshi there will be possibilities as well.