PDA

View Full Version : Meal service on the ground

CortaVento
1st Jun 2004, 01:39
My company has changed FA's from Operations to Customers Department and the new "boss" came in with new procedures.
During long delays on the ground FA's are now expected to do the "inflight" service (meals/beverages). This is a complete cultural move as it has never been this way for the last 25 years - at least.
I am looking for some inputs in order to discuss this matter with our authorities and would very much appreciate any information regarding your procedures and, mainly, your regulations (FAR's/JAR's) regarding this subject.

Kind regards,

CortaVento

flyblue
1st Jun 2004, 05:46
Should not be possible in A/C with only 1 aisle, possible in A/C with 2 aisles but only using 1 aisle at a time. In case you had to carry out an EVAC. It was the rule at my old company. In my current one it's not contemplated. In case of huge delay pax are disembarked.

sinala1
1st Jun 2004, 07:32
As far as australian regulations (CAR'S/CAO'S) go, my understanding is that all aisles and exits must remain clear at all times below 1000ft above terrain, except when boarding or disembarking. During refuelling when on ground, its my understanding that the aisles and exits must remain clear, even if boarding or disembarking. So unless you are refuelling, it would not be breaking aussie regulations by conducting a service, but of course as flyblue pointed out you would want the aisles clear for an exit anyway.

I have had a delay where we elected to keep pax on board on a stinking hot australian day (temp upwards of 35 degrees celsius) and wanted to conduct a service, so I elected to complete a drinks service by hand from the galley using trays. Kept the pax happy, yet did not jeopordise safety. Perhaps this could be a happy medium for the company that CortaVento works for?

Hostie from Hell
1st Jun 2004, 08:44
CortaVento

As pointed out by Flyblue and sinala1 for safety reasons a meal service should not be conducted on the ground as it can seriously hinder an evacuation.

Drinks service by trays is fine. Soft drinks etc that is. Service of alcoholic beverages not allowed certainly in the UK. Something to do with the opening of bars, customs etc.
Im not too clued up about it any longer, hopefully you will get better responses!:)

Far easier to just offload the pax for long delays.

sinala1
1st Jun 2004, 09:25
Sorry Hostie From Hell I should have been more specific, we conducted a softdrinks/water/juice service only - Liqour Licensing laws prevent us serving alcohol on the ground. Sorry for any confusion! :) :ok:

richterscale10
1st Jun 2004, 10:22
Can you imagine the carnage if you had an EVAC whilst serving dinner.....talk about slipping on banana skins!!!!!
Customer Service Dept would be busy after that with insurance claims me thinks!

ukjetbloke
1st Jun 2004, 11:19
I have been in situations on the ground where we have delivered the entire meal service! Done hot and cold drinks and coffee and biscuits too.

apaddyinuk
1st Jun 2004, 19:51
Hey all...
Until pretty recently I worked for a Middle Eastern carrier and I can still remember on various occassions doing a meal service on ground as a result of delays.
I can especially remember two occasions on ground in LHR with a delay doing a sandwich and drinks (non-alcoholic) service on full flights. It never crossed my mind what chaos could have occured should something dramatic happen, its only now after reading your comments and after some of the eye opening training i got with BA that I really question the authorities that told us to go ahead with these ground meal services!!!! Scary stuff lads!!!
Well I hope it doesnt go ahead for your airline and if it does....make sure your the one nearest and with unimpeded access to the door!!! hehe!
:ugh:

CortaVento
2nd Jun 2004, 11:11
Thanks all for the replies. In the next few days we'll be discussing this matter with our management/authorities...

CV