PDA

View Full Version : Airspace to cost more

scramjet77
1st Jun 2004, 01:22
The last vestige of any truth in the argument put forward by Anderson and his proxy D Smith has just been blown away by the following revelation (see below). Its time for all of us, ****su-Tonka, Mexicomel, P51D, Walley2 ET all, (all of whom have written some great and very educational stuff for this site) to get serious.

Debating the problems with NAS on our own site will not stop this debacle. All of us must hammer our local politicians (especially those in marginal seats) with the dangers of NAS. The next election will be a close thing and the more uncomfortable we make it for the incumbents, the better are our chances of having this damn thing killed-off for good. For God’s sake, let’s not leave Dick as the only political activist and agitator, pushing his barrow of unsubstantiated and illogical rubbish, pretending to be a representative of the professional aviation body. (By the way, is it just me or does anyone else notice a certain pathology in the behaviour exhibited by this man?).

Just email the following article from the shortcut below, or cut and paste the copy below and ask for an explanation. It’s a start.

http://www.perthpilots.org/2004-05-21_airspace_to_cost_more.pdf

Airspace to cost more:

Air travel prices are set to rise to cover the cost of hiring more air traffic controllers and developing infrastructure under a plan to create yet another level of untested airspace regime in Australia.

The Airservices Australia Board meeting today in Canberra is favouring a 1950s-style system of making radio calls mandatory in airspace over non-radar and regional airports – the reverse of
the now discredited National Airspace System, where light and commercial aircraft operate on a “see and avoid” basis without radio communication.

Civil Air President Ted Lang said the plan, likely to be implemented in November, would require more than 50 additional air traffic controllers and infrastructure costing at least $5 million a year and that would be passed on to passengers. “Even from a union viewpoint, throwing millions of taxpayer’s dollars at hiring additional air traffic controllers, although they would be very welcome, and building more bureaucracy does not make any sense when it does not improve safety and services that operated prior to NAS in November last year,” he said.
“Because NAS is such a bungle, the Board is now considering going to the other extreme of implementing an untested, resource-intensive airspace regime that is going to cost extra for every passenger in Australia,” Mr Lang said.

“They are planning a paper-based archaic system of the 1950s, when prior to NAS Australia led the world in technology and services.” Mr Lang said Civil Air – the union that represents air traffic controllers – rejected the need to hire more controllers to restore airspace safety and services to pre-NAS levels. “You would think we would be doing hand-stands at the prospect of more staff and members.

However, we want a financially healthy aviation industry and this is not the way to do it.” He called on Transport Minister John Anderson to guarantee the cost would not be passed on to passengers. “I urge the Minister to stop experimenting with airspace and get on with returning safety and services to pre-NAS levels without additional costs to passengers and the industry.”

Mr Lang said Civil Air did not object to the downgraded NAS regime over low-use airspace, but wanted air traffic control services elsewhere to keep light and commercial aircraft apart.

Further information: Hamish McLean 0409 840823
C i v i l A i r The Australian Air Traffic Control Association Media: 0409 840823
MEDIA RELEASE Friday, 21 May 2004