PDA

View Full Version : Definition of Duty Time

Sqwark2004
31st May 2004, 19:05
Can anyone tell me what is defined as duty time (under part 135).
ie - Driving to from work?
- re-fuelling
- aircraft re-configuation

etc

Also - what is classed as an overnight?
Does it have to be at night time. Or would an extended period away from your home base for work puposes be exceptable??

Any info would be great

Cheers

S2K4 eva

Sqwark2000
31st May 2004, 21:19
Driving to & from work is not considered duty time. Duty time is the period you turned up at work and signed on for the purposes of duties designated by your employerer til you sign off to go home. Duty periods can not be seperated by periods of rest less than 10hrs unless your Pt.135 has an exemption from CAA. Even if you are rostered to be the office bitch and no flying involved that is still duty.

I used to have rest periods of 8hrs, as long as the duties either side of that rest period were no longer than 4 hrs, and you could only use this exemption for a max of 3 times before a full 10 or 24 hr break was required.

A rest period (i.e not duty) is a time when you are COMPLETELY free of work duties, so reconfiguring, refuelling, cleaning the a/c etc. should not be done during rest periods. The rest period of 10hrs between duties etc, if away from your home, must include reasonable facilicties for horizontal rest, i.e a bed and not next to the metro engine run up bay, tea/coffee equipment etc. Also by definition, I think the CAA (NZ) does not include time travelling to or from your rest facilities as part of the rest period. So if it takes you 5-10mins to get to your rest facility then the 10hrs starts from your arrival, not from when you walk away from the a/c.

Overnights, haven't heard an official definition, but I would assume it to be where you are rostered/or have an unscheduled night away from home for rest period purposes. And generally it is at night.

I used to spend 13 hrs away from home during the day with a 10hr rest period included. That was not considered an overnight.

If you are a temporarily relocated to another base for a week or so, then that is considered multiple overnights, as it is not your place of permanent/usual employment. The employer should be paying for your accomodation/ meals at the very least, then some allowances to cover incidentals like calling home to the wife & kids etc.

Hope that helps.

S2K

Cloud Cutter
1st Jun 2004, 02:12
:confused: , still talking to yourself?

Sqwark2000
1st Jun 2004, 20:36
:8 most humourous Mr. Cloud Cutter, but..... confucious say "check the names of the posters carefully grasshopper...."

;)

Cloud Cutter
2nd Jun 2004, 05:23
:hmm: yeah right, perhaps you should think up a better alias

Flyingscarecrow
2nd Jun 2004, 15:18
If the tyre's are on the tarmac then you're not on duty. That's the GA rule innit? :E

bypasspin
8th Jun 2004, 06:42
4am start, home by 8am. Fly again at 2pm, home by 530pm Work ass off in hanger between 8am and 2pm. Duty time only 5 hrs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Figure that one out. Love GA

onya
8th Jun 2004, 11:59
Wise CP of mine once said,

"Flight and duty regs are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools". Read into it what you will.

Onya:O