PDA

View Full Version : Merlin Fails Cold Soak Trial

Pilot Pacifier
31st May 2004, 18:43
Merlin Fails Cold Soak Trial

Three Merlin’s failed a ‘Cold Soak’ trail in the Highlands recently. They had apparently taken to the air in a ‘sucker’s gap’ after a desperate call of help from a family in the Balmoral area.

It seems two of the cabs lost engine control after their fuel lines froze leading to emergency landings. The third suffered a catastrophic tail rotor failure (not the first, see separate thread), resulting in the loss of the cab.

It would appear that some of crews survived but as they had not been on the Winter Survival Course, they quickly succumbed to the elements.

For more information on this, please wait until the day after tomorrow.

Or follow this LINK (http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/dayaftertomorrow/)

Training Risky
31st May 2004, 19:45
Nice to see the Hollywood La La Land researchers making a token stab at accuracy:

1. The cabs were emblazoned 'RAF Search and Rescue'.
2. The Rad Op had a HUGE life-sized Union Flag on his arm - (not standard I believe.)
3. The Merlins were actually airborne.

:ok:

(Some gratuitous Chinook shots at the end - nice photography.)

MSF
1st Jun 2004, 10:34
They looked more like Pelicans/ Jolly green giants than Merlins.
Discovery has better extreme weather footage than that garbage that I had to endure last weekend.
I had to be woken twice as my snoring was keeping other patrons awake!.
No one even suggested using BIG nukes - what is hollywood coming to?

JessTheDog
1st Jun 2004, 11:58
This is a US film, with a predominantly US audience.

The Merlin is being touted for export to the US.

Hmmm....something smells fishy.....

MSF
1st Jun 2004, 13:22
I read that the US Merlin decision has been delayed until after the election.
Bad news for Sikorsky?

onlyhappyflying
2nd Jun 2004, 06:37
:mad: sodding americans! all of the external "footage" was computer generated so no excuse for not portaying British kit (yes they were Jolly Green Giants)! Even the "in cockpit" stuff showed guys wearing American issue flying kit. Wearing a Union Flag on your sleeve does not a British pilot make! Why are the Yanks so short-sighted that they believe nothing else exists outside of their twisted little world!!!!!

MightyGem
2nd Jun 2004, 08:26
If you haven't seen it yet, don't bother. :yuk:

Vage Rot
2nd Jun 2004, 22:05
Still, the Merlin is a heap of 5h1t. Tail rotor failure - never heard of, neither is rotor brake failure.!! How many have we lost??!!!

WOW at that rate we'll need another factory - or MRA4!!!

nickdearden
4th Jun 2004, 09:17
I have to disagreee....I think that Saving Private Ryan was good! not necessarily true, but it was good...

Other three were indeed crap.

JFZ90
4th Jun 2004, 17:24
Anyone remember the RAF F-16s in Independance Day?

Archimedes
4th Jun 2004, 19:40
...or the dialogue given to the 'RAF pilots'? :eek:

MightyGem
5th Jun 2004, 03:53
Exactly how was "Saving Private Ryan" trying to rewrite history?

Kiting for Boys
5th Jun 2004, 07:47
How about by showing the Ranger unit being landed from American-manned landing craft?

The real unit was landed by the RN.

Boy_From_Brazil
5th Jun 2004, 12:05
onlyhappyflying

Quote :-"Even the "in cockpit" stuff showed guys wearing American issue flying kit. Wearing a Union Flag on your sleeve does not a British pilot make!"

The boys from 99 squadron might disagree with you!

BFB

MightyGem
5th Jun 2004, 18:48
K for B. Just that one little thing then, in a film about American soldiers landing on an American beach and fighting in the American sector, in a story inspired by what happened to (I believe) an American family serving in the US Navy in the Pacific.

Have to agree with silberfuchs on U571 and Pearl Harbour though. :*