PDA

View Full Version : mad hard disc

LDG_GEAR _MONITOR
31st May 2004, 18:37
my hard disc seems to have gone nuts. when i booot up then log on (xp) the hard disc goes crazy for about 5 mins before resorting to quietness again as though it is busy open files sort of noise.

lookin at task manager on the process page why it does this one called system idle process seems to be at 98/99 all the time on the cpu column

any ideas? dont think its a problem just annoying ! an have tried sweeping with pcillin,adaware and spybot but still the same !

mini
31st May 2004, 20:03
LDG_GEAR _MONITOR

Do a search for threads on XP boot probs, I had a similar event that was sorted.

Idle Process occupies your processor when its not working, 98% means only 2% being used.

:ok:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
31st May 2004, 20:42
LDG_GEAR _MONITOR,

Idle is what it sounds like, it is Idle.

Now give us some more details on the hard drive. What is the hard drive size and how much free space do you have? Also how much RAM do you have and what is the size of your Pagefile?

Take Care,

Richard

LDG_GEAR _MONITOR
1st Jun 2004, 12:24
the system -
1st hard disc scsi 120 gb/34 gb free
one partition for boot up/60gb/ 45 free (use for video editing)
one partiton 60 gb
2nd hard disc 30 gb/ all free at min
1gb ram,athlon 2600+,asus a7n8x motherboard
page file = not a clue !

mazzy1026
1st Jun 2004, 12:37
Have had similar problems myself - try looking at the CPU fan and make sure it isnt touching any cables - also boot up with the lid off (dont touch anything) and make sure it is the hard drive - like I say it could be the CPU fan or power pack - if so just replace !

Edit: sorry - missed the bit where you said it sounds like it is opening files. This is called latency time anyhow.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
1st Jun 2004, 17:12
LDG_GEAR _MONITOR,

Which PCI Slot do you have your SCSI Card in? (You should be using PCI Slot 4 to keep from sharing IRQs with other devices.)

Also, you might want to update your SCSI Drivers.

Take Care,

Richard