PDA

View Full Version : METs Short Cse

IluvPMA
31st May 2004, 12:23
Following "aggresive re-roling" at the last Linton Streaming Confirmation Board it looks as if some of us might be off to OAT in the near future.

Does anyone have any experience of doing the METs short cse at Oxford? If so how does it differ from the 3FTS cse, and is there any truth in the rumour that it can be directly accredited towards an ATPL (Groundschool exams, IRT etc)?

All input gratefully received, thanks.:ok:

BEagle
31st May 2004, 13:57
Why OATS? Is there a contract in place to provide this training? I don't recall having seen it advertised for tender....

If you go to OATS, the groundschool should include the JAR ATPL exams. If not, why not. When you obtain your Multi Engine Piston Class Rating, you will be able to apply for a CPL if you've passed the exams and have the relevant hours. Even if you don't, at least you'll be able to get a PPL with MEP Rating.

Keep us informed of your progress; my feeling is that the bug gers will shaft you unless you have a solid grasp of civil licnesing requirements. They stitched up some folk at Prestwick by making them fly IRT profiles with non-CAA Examiners - purely to stop them walking away with a fATPL. Make absolutely certain that your IR is conducted by a CAA Staff Examiner - even pay for it if you have to.

And if you want (or need) to 'build hours', don't forget that you'll be able to do so at your local RAFFCA flying club at a fraction of the OATS cost!

PM me if you need more gen!

Not Imprest
31st May 2004, 17:50
I have done the Kidlington Short Cse. Its very short (30 hrs) and quite hard, esp since I came from Rotary (or maybe I'm just crap :( )

How much it differs from the 3fts cse I've no idea, but sortie profile is airways to civvy airfield, ils, overshoot on 1 eng (!) to pd to other civvy airfield, to overshoot, rtb.

I found living at Brize crap. The Mess was dead and we were treated terribly. If you want the gory details let me know.

Forgot to say, you\'re odds on to a hiding if you think you can get an ATPL out of it! Someone high up has thought it all through (and not in your favour!)