PDA

View Full Version : Goma, DRC

madcow88
30th May 2004, 21:14
Hey All, Just wondering if anyone has any info regarding Goma in the Congo. Who's flying there? Current Safety? Anything you know would be great. Thanks.

Herc Jerk
31st May 2004, 00:22
You can buy a big old block of cheese there pretty cheap. Don't know how safe it is though as i stopped eating it after finding suspicious looking dark curly hairs in it.

Veges are cheap too, and they're pretty safe if washed & cooked in clean water...

Flying safety? Don't hit the volcano... and make sure you land on RWY36 "LEFT"...

Why Goma? It's a bloody long way from yellowknife...

Cue Ball
31st May 2004, 21:27
Must concur with Herc Jerk here, the cheese is way overated and make sure to land on R36L. On final approach to R36 you will see another runway off to the right about 2-3 miles , don't even think of going there bro it is a military airstrip in Rwanda. This may just be your last landing for quite some time as the Rwandans will be so happy to see you that they will insist you stay for ........... a couple of months if you are lucky,if you know what I mean. As for the nav aids, well the VOR works when it feels like it which is about never, but this is africa buddy.The area around Goma is very moutainous with a MSA of about 13000ft if I am not misatken. Also not the best weather for flying, plenty of cloud and thunderstorms around a lot of the time Otherwise Goma is not too bad a place, nice climate temperature wise and relatively few mosquitoes compared to the rest of the counrtry but still take precautions. Otherwise enjoy it, it really is a beautiful part of the world.:ok:

PS Herk Jerc how is runway 37 at Kalemie doing?

Herc Jerk
31st May 2004, 23:34
Haven't been there in a while, but never could line up properly on RWY37... must have been a faulty compass card or something...

If memory serves a visual approach from the west brought you down over the river valley (possible "terrain-terrain" whilst over-flying Kalemie Heights) then a left turn over the Kalemie Yacht Club/Bay of Pigs then intercept a 3*GP whilst keeping Cholera Beach on your right... pretty standard stuff really.

Things to remember: small denominations bills to buy peanuts, frozen chickens to trade with PAE guys for fresh fish, and try not to look too closely at the abandoned Russian acft near the passenger terminal...

Ignorance is bliss:hmm:

Cue Ball
1st Jun 2004, 12:49
ah yes so many fond memories of kalemie. also had a torrid time lining up for R37, I'll never forget that time on runway 37 when...........oh hell I can't remeber a damn thing about R37, it was like being in the twilight zone( gyros always toppling and compass going crazy- good times though......or so I am told by other people who were there the same time as me, I can't remeber!)::confused:

jominnaar
3rd Jun 2004, 17:24
Double check instructions given by ATC, check your grid MORA's, study SID's etc.

High ground, especially for unpress. a/c.

Agree, very beautifull!

Have fun!

that u Mike??:ok:

policepilot
5th Jun 2004, 13:32
And it's normal for loads of people to be on the runway until the last moment. If Goma has no pedestrian traffic you're on short finals to Gisenyi, where your constipation probs will be solved.
Maybe we can organise trips to Kalemie for plane spotters to check out the Ilyushin discarded next to the renovated international departure lounge. Have they put a roof on yet or am I being silly?