PDA

View Full Version : Instructors Rating

Paddle Steamer
30th May 2004, 16:19
Hi there,

I am searching for info regarding the rules covering a conversion of a SAAF ( the happy one) instructor's rating to an approved one that our CAA would like.
I have not given active instruction for a lengthy period of time and am wondering whether there was such a thing as a bridging type of course available or would it be better to go and attend a full course with an approved institution. If so, could anyone recommend one. I was thinking of 43 Air School.
I have a 1000 plus hours of instruction and started back in the days of CFS Dunno's .......jees that is a lengthy period of time....
Any info would be appreciated as I am sure that I am not the first ex SAAF who would like to do some kind of instruction again.

Stephen Stark
30th May 2004, 16:26
Hey Paddle

CFS? Do we know eachother?? As far as I am aware, you have to qualifiy first for the civilian CAA comm, then do instructors... this was from SAAF guys I saw at the CAA a couple of years back that did it

:ok:

DualDriver
31st May 2004, 07:25
Paddle

From what I understand, to convert you have to write the CAA Ops and Law as well as AT&G. If you have more that 500 piston time (which I would assume you do), you're only required to write the law exam. You then have to, in writing, apply to the CAA for a conversion of your SAAF instructor's rating, do the flight test, send in the paperwork and take it from there.

This all changed about 2 years or so ago.

Good Luck:ok:

Stephen Stark
31st May 2004, 13:21
Hey Driver

See that my info must definitely be outdated, I got that over two years ago ;)

Good luck Paddle! :ok:

Longdrop
3rd Jun 2004, 12:35
Look to the school you hope to get Instruction time at, they should be able to give you a refresher course. The SAAF training you got is excellent, now make the wife and kids a cup of tea, sit them down and ask them to listen to EX 4 :ok:

Gunship
3rd Jun 2004, 22:53
Lo PS,

Long time broer.

Fred Young has got all the latest gaff.

I unfortunately deleted his mail ... damn lapdog's ;)

Good luck and please pass it on again if you do not mind.

Cheers

Gunns

PS: So nice to give instruction again after a 12 year "break" :E

Paddle Steamer
4th Jun 2004, 02:52
Hi there,

Thanks for the Gen...Yeah it has been a while since I posted...

From all the replies I guess there is still some "confusion "as to the exact requirements. Fred Young, now that is a name I have not heard for a while...." Old Stooges " He will Know.

Is Steve Odendaal at CAA....I heard a rumour and perhaps he is the man to chat to.

I will keep you posted as to my progress.

:D

Gunship
4th Jun 2004, 10:39
PS, Fred can be found at Solenta - I am sending you his e-mail addresses.

Take care and remember to inform us all please.

Real Orca don't you know the latest ?

Cheers,

Gunsss

Longdrop
4th Jun 2004, 14:12
Steve Odendaal is at the CAA, his phone number is 012 4260124
he is in charge of the Flight Schools and should know what you need to do.

REAL ORCA
4th Jun 2004, 17:33
I don't have the latest gen. Steve Odendaal is the man to speak to and if i am not mistaken the man that will give the authorization. (spelling?)