PDA

View Full Version : Value of Instructing?

Autobrake
30th May 2004, 15:03
Just read with interest a post in the FI's and Examiners Forum which seems to have generated a general view that instructing as a route to the airlines is rapidly becoming less and less successful, and that it would be better to invest one's money in a type rating.

Having just completed the FI course with a job starting very soon, this is obviously of some concern!

Anyone with any opinions on this one?

GARDENER
30th May 2004, 16:04
My personal opinion:
Things certainly seem to have changed from the "traditional" route. FI then turboprop job, jet etc. There are options now where as before, quite simply, you did not buy your way into the airline. No disrespect to those buying the type rating....if I was desperate I would possibly do the same! I never elected for instruction as it's not my thing, I have always felt instructing should be a career choice in it's own right.
As for any job it depends on market conditions. It appears sometimes that low houred pilots stand as much chance as those with 1000-2000+ unless the 1-2K pilots have multi-crew/ multi engine etc experience.
I would not be concerned you will get good experience and most importantly hours and currency. Too late now to worry make the most of your decision work hard the airline job will come. Paying back 6k for FI is easier than paying back 18k or whatever it is for type!
In a nutshell getting a job is down to your CV/ application falling on the CP's desk at the right time.
Right place, right time!
Good luck

Straightandlevel80kt
31st May 2004, 13:24
Well done on getting the FI and the job. I'd say stick with it and be the best goddam Instructor you can be. I'm not an instructor but I can see that it could be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences to help others achieve, whatever your own long term goals!

All the best.

Artificial Horizon
31st May 2004, 20:51
Instruction as a first job is an excellent way of building hours and experience, it makes you a much better pilot than you will be with 200hours. BUT!!!!!! as a route into the airlines it is now bollocks, the hours for many airlines are a hindrance now, take BMI regional, not employing pilots with over 500 hours at the moment.

Whether you instruct or try and get a job with 200 hours it makes no difference at the moment.

African Drunk
1st Jun 2004, 06:55
I think airlines have a very negative view on instructing I have had an interview with one airline who could not distinguish between IR instructing and VFR in a C152 and spent most of the time horrified I had 1500 hours instructing. Also BA citiexpress not known as being pro instructor is an collection of three airlines (brymon,manx,british regional) who used to recuit many instructors.

Wee Weasley Welshman
1st Jun 2004, 09:37
There would appear to be a very mild instructor shortage at the moment. All the ones I now are flat out busy.

Now, there hasn't exactly been a shortage of low time pilots doing the rating after running out of postage stamps. Therefore one might conclude that either a lot of instructors are retiring. A lot are getting jobs elsewhere (airlines) or a lot more people are suddenly doing PPLs.

Cheers

kpx1124
1st Jun 2004, 11:51
Is there a hidden message in there WWW? ;)

Finished my FI about 10 days ago and landed a job at the weekend. 'Nuff said...

I'd rather be flying in a PA28 than sitting behind a desk to pay for a type rating!

KpX

mad_jock
1st Jun 2004, 12:10
As i have said on previous threads.

ALL instructors who wern't career instructors I used to meet in my travels around scotland have now got turbine or jet jobs. Locally in my area there have been 6 instructors who are all now driving turbo props for a variety of tasks (fisherys, airline, charter etc). And its quite well known that the local operators prefer local instructors who they get to know and have proved themselves with the local wx etc. And they know are willing to stay in the area and not leg it at the first oppertunity.

You might not here about them getting jobs on pprune because they basically can't be bothered arguing with wannabies who seem set on the idea that shiny jets are the only way forward and its there right to fly one because they payed 65K to OAT.
Just ask round at your local clubs and see how many 1000hr plus instructors are about. I have already heard problems with supervision of FI(R)s and first solo send offs because the number of FI's are getting scarse.

And locally as well there have been at least 2 TP pilots have done the easyjet thing and moved up the ladder.

MJ