PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Aid Charged for?

skyvan
29th May 2004, 18:55
Airline charges disabled extra for assistance

May 29 2004 at 11:58AM

By Igsaan Salie

Disabled people who fly on the domestic South African airline Nationwide are in for a shock; the cost of being lifted on and off the aircraft could be more than the price of the ticket.

This was the experience of Russell Vollmer, Commodore of the Royal Cape Yacht Club, a quadriplegic who has been using a wheelchair for 28 years and has travelled extensively by air without any problems or additional charges.

Vollmer was about to board a Nationwide Airlines flight from Cape Town to Johannesburg last Saturday when he found out that to load him and his chair onto the aircraft would cost him more than his ticket.

"I normally travel with other airlines but I thought I would try Nationwide for a change because their fees are very cheap. I was told by my travel agent that there may be a small fee of about R300 to pay to get me onto the plane, and I was prepared to pay that," he said.

Vollmer refused to pay the fee
However, when Vollmer arrived at Cape Town International Airport, he was told he would have to pay R395 for each time he was taken on or off the aircraft - four times for the return flight - which would cost him R1 580 extra.

"That made the additional cost of the passenger assistance unit more than my air fare," he said, noting: "There are some people with a disability who would pay the extra cost without arguing about it."

He was fortunate to be in a position where if he needed to pay an additional fee he could, but stressed that he would argue against having to pay more because of his disability.

"I booked with Nationwide to try them out because their rates are quite cheap but with the extra costs it makes them more expensive than any other airline," he said.

Vollmer refused to pay the fee and after cancelling his ticket bought another from a different airline that charged him nothing for the use of a passenger aid unit.

Several other airlines, including South African Airways, kulula.com and British Airways, told Weekend Argus they did not charge disabled passengers who needed to be assisted on and off aircraft.

Nationwide Airlines operations manager Johan Borstlap said wheelchair-bound passengers were charged because the airline, which has been operating since 1995, did not have its own passenger aid unit.

"This is an unfortunate situation but we do not have a lift of our own. It is a direct cost to us and we are passing it on to the passenger."

Mzolisi Toni, secretary-general of Disabled People of South Africa, said he was shocked that the airline charged disabled people for transport on to flights.

"This is the first time that I am hearing of this," Toni said.

Cut & Paste from IOL.co.za

SortieIII
30th May 2004, 11:48
If the report correctly reflects the Nationwide policy, it is bound to generate a lot of ill-feeling.

I hope they will address the situation urgently. The least they could do is to advise potential customers of their policy prior to the purchase of a ticket.

Gunship
30th May 2004, 15:09
Not good "advertising" for Nationwide.

Was it not EasyJet that had a case or two against them last year and lost ?

ou Trek dronkie
31st May 2004, 12:02
No Guns,

It was Ryanair that charged, I'm sure. The figure of £16 each way comes to mind.

Easyjet didn't charge, neither did Buzz, nor Go, nor BA, nor Virgin Express, not BE.

Go figure.

Is Vern still the big man there ?

oTd