PDA

View Full Version : Eye Drops?

NW3
29th May 2004, 15:54
Hi All.

I'm not a pilot at the moment (class 1 on Tuesday and hopefully BY later in the year!), but was just wondering if anyone had any advice in the eye drop department. Every now and again after a big night out, and if I haven't had much sleep, or wake up and watch TV etc. I find my eyes feel very "tired" until the afternoon, and are a bit blurry (I guess it feels like the rest of my body!).

Blinking and rubbing don't really do much, splashing water helps to wake up a bit, but are there any eye drops you can get that get the eyes back to normal. (I don't wear glasses, good vision etc. etc.)

Thanks in advance

NW3

Genghis the Engineer
29th May 2004, 22:32
I'm not sure I've got a definitive answer, but I also tend to suffer from dry/itchy eyes - usually after too long spent staring at a computer screen and not out of a cockpit.

Speak to a pharmacist about something called "artificial tears", which are a treatment for "dry eye syndrome" and can be had over the counter.

Failing that, good old "Optrex" is good stuff.

G

mini
30th May 2004, 17:47
After a night on the town...

Muirine, OTC.

:E

Flyin'Dutch'
31st May 2004, 08:21
Prevention is better than cure.

So how about making those big nights a bit smaller?

;)

FD

Notso Fantastic
31st May 2004, 11:24
I'm not sure for the circumstances you describe that a slight blurring/difficulty focusing, is to do with a condition that eye drops/artificial tears can help. I think the root cause may be more neurological than an external factor for eyes. People with migraine headaches have trouble focusing and suffer vision difficulties. I think it may be tied in with this. Long nights/headaches/hangover/'stuffiness' from too much time on a computer- I think it more likely to be a deeper cause in the brain. What do you think?

PPRuNe Pop
31st May 2004, 12:48
So how about making those big nights a bit smaller?

I guess the good doctor is just about right. :ok:

NW3
31st May 2004, 15:57
Nights out... they always seem such a good idea at the time :)

The 'condition' is more like the kind of thing where you blink a few times and vision is back to normal, just doesn't seem to work. I guess Optrex is the trick... will have to give it a go next time!

Thanks for the advice everyone.

NW3

flyblue
31st May 2004, 20:22
Friend of mine, an ophtalmologist for an airline, gave me hyaluronic acid based eye drops, which she said are better than the saline based ones, which I can confirm ;)