PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar pax in for long airport wait

Wirraway
29th May 2004, 07:11
Fri "Herald Sun"

Passengers in for long airport wait

JETSTAR passengers who take the bus to Avalon airport will be inconvenienced by long waiting times, the Opposition claimed yesterday. Liberal transport spokesman Terry Mulder said the issue could deter travellers from using the airport.

Jetstar flights from Avalon to Sydney and Brisbane will start next Tuesday, a week after the cut-price airline's main launch.

Five return bus services will run daily between Avalon and Spencer St station to connect with flights.

Passengers will need to catch the bus almost 2 1/2 hours before their flight to meet Jetstar's strict check-in rules.

Qantas's leisure carrier wants buses at Avalon 90 minutes before planes depart so passengers can check in at least half an hour before flights.

Mr Mulder said hanging around for 90 minutes at the airport after taking a 50 -minute bus trip could put off travellers.

"You need a service that will attract passengers down there," he said.

"I would call on Jetstar and Avalon to negotiate the 90-minute wait down."

Mr Mulder said good bus links were vital because most budget travellers couldn't afford the $70 taxi fare to Avalon from the city.

He said he strongly supported Jetstar and Avalon, but wanted to ensure their success through good transport connections.

A one-way trip on Sunbus Avalon Airport Shuttle will cost $12.

Sunbus is run by the Footscray-based Sita group, which beat Melbourne airport shuttle company Skybus for the Avalon tender.

Sita general manager Dominic Sita said buses arriving at Avalon 90 minutes before flights was not unreasonable.

Many travellers preferred to arrive early and it was good to have a buffer in case of traffic delays on the Geelong road.

"I think it will work well," he said.

Avalon airport general manager Tim Anderson said the bus service would be monitored closely. "If we find that it needs improvement we will quickly react ," he said.

Mr Anderson said he expected most passengers to arrive by car, with the airport providing a 900-space carpark.

Skybus general manager Simon Cowen said Jetstar's 90-minute rule for buses was unfortunate. "It's not going to be a great service as it is," Mr Cowen said.

============================================

ditzyboy
29th May 2004, 09:10
Life is all about choices. If you CHOOSE to fly JQ out of AVV and CHOOSE to catch a bus then so be it. Remember people may infact live near AVV or have a car. People may also live closer to AVV than Tulla and this may infact be a godsend.

Wish the media would report about something decent instead of trying to change public perception. Not just about JQ. Why can't the public form it's own opinions. The media should be eductaing the public without any slants. You come away from some reports almost feeling bad when you don't agree.

Did anyone see the Today show on launch day? They had a reporter on the NTL-MEL flight and interviewed him afterwards. Instead of asking "How was the legroom?" "How was the free seating?" Tracy and Steve were saying "The legroom was horrible, wasn't it?" and "Boarding was a debacle with the free seating, wasn't it?"

It was funny when he turned around and said it was all very orderly and many people commented positively about it. He also said the legroom was "perfectly acceptable and comparable" to other flights he had taken.

The media confuses me more as I grow older. I think I may have to go back to watching Behind the News like I watched 13 or so years ago in school. That was educational and unbiased.

Commercial TV is really embarassing to watch. *End of rant* :mad:

proplever
29th May 2004, 09:56
The media simply don't ask the right questions, ditzyboy. If only they knew to ask how much the pilots were being paid, and the associated dangers. Bloody frightening. I've said it before and I'll say it again, because it is equally applicable to politicians as it is pilots, and every other profession.

"YOU PAY PEANUTS AND YOU GET MONKEYS!"

ditzyboy
29th May 2004, 10:54
proplever -
Please start up a thread entitled "Slagging off JQ pilots" and direct your far from constructive comments there. Some of us (who don't have an opinion either way in regard to pilot pay) could really do without the childish bi*ching.

commander adama
29th May 2004, 12:39
You see ditzy like the above imbecile the media like to distort the truth for their own gains and exposure. It's the way has been and the way it will always will be. Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Uncle Festa
29th May 2004, 13:37
Proplever . . . . . pathetic.

Watchdog
29th May 2004, 14:08
Hey P*nislever,
about time you went back to the sandpit with the other 8 year olds isn't it!
:8

Sheep Guts
29th May 2004, 14:52
Can you catch a train? or is the closest Hoppers Crossing Station?
Maybe LinFox could pu in a MonoRail from Hoppers!

:)

Sheep

Kaptin M
29th May 2004, 15:17
The media in Oz are finely tutored to go for the perceived "Tall poppy", or "anything new" subject, because that is what seems to appeal to the Oz public.

...and on that note, I wonder how long it will take before they (the press) latch on to the difference in salaries between the "proplevers" and "these blokes & sheilas, who are doing the same job, for a LOT less."

Enjoy your moment(s) of Glory, pl - by your stupid, divisive, derogatory comments you are ultimately going to destroy your OWN position of omnipotence that you believe you hold!

proplever
29th May 2004, 18:20
ooooohhh! Bitch slapped by ditzy! :ouch: :ouch: :ouch:

Omnipotent, Kapt? Thats a big word, isn't it? Bet you had to put your false teeth back in to get that one out!

adama? Am I still getting under your skin?

Ditzy? Maybe you should form an opinion. Because YOUR life as well as the lives of others are in the hands of these people. If their pay is clearly way substandard, well, doesn't it make you feel just a little uneasy? Just a litte nervous to know that they have been turned down by other operators?

There is more to your operation ditzy than just the cabin in which you work.

Wizofoz
29th May 2004, 19:39
So Prop,

I take it you got every job you ever applied for first time?

If not, I guess that makes YOU substandard..

(and not just a W%^&*R!!)

Pete Conrad
29th May 2004, 21:25
Onya Proppy, I agree with you, so do alot of others in the QF camp.

Did I tell you the one about a mainline 737 mate of mine being told by one of these superior Impulse guys that the ex AN guys would be given a seat, then after 12 months when they are no longer required, they can f%$#k off.

And, how bout this one, Commander Yeager from Impulse saying that he and his mates were worried about the culture from QF pilots infecting Jet*!!!

And they wonder why???

Douglas Mcdonnell
29th May 2004, 23:05
Yet another thread hijacked by proplever. YOu seem to be keen to get to the end of the plank quickly prop. In actual fact I think you will find that most guys just get on with the job and really couldnt give a rats about your opinion. " Alot of others in the QF camp agree with proplever " says Pete Conrad.
Thats a shame. These two are obviously concerned with the welfare of others in their company. AKA, the second officer sitting in the back of a 400. Proplever, you must be a big hitter in the union movement to be making such bold statements. But hang on, whats this intergration all about?

Cheereo DM

proplever
29th May 2004, 23:10
Actually, Wiz, yes I did get every job first time. I've been lucky? Or prepared? Or qualified? Or suitable? I woulld suggest the latter, not that it's relevant. Nor does it make me a w@nker as you so eloquently put it.

But my point for a long time has been that NOT everyone is cut out to be an airline pilot, just because they want to be one, or feel that they are somehow owed the position. YOUR pilots, ditzy, have been rejected by other operators. They now have the tumerity to tell those other operators that their recruiting processes are flawed, and that they are in fact, superior pilots. This combined with the fact that they now are prepared to undercut those pilots whose jobs they seek.

It would make me veeeerrrrrryyyy nervous if I were to fly with your airline. So should you be.

Pete Conrad
29th May 2004, 23:23
DM - your a scab, along with your Impulse mates. thats all there is too it. You are nothing but what the 89's claim everybody else is who took a job back in those days of the misinformed.

Propy is just doing what alot of people think anyway - voicing his utter disgrace at seeing conditions of service eroded by a very small group of pilots, that lets face it, John West rejected and that failed QF selection.

Douglas Mcdonnell
29th May 2004, 23:37
Very nice gentlemen. You are entitled to your opinion. You are, unfortunately the vocal representitves for your company.
I know for a fact that there are alot of great people in the QF system. Having come across your types before you can be easily catagorised. All the B@lls in the world on a faceless forum, without the conviction to actually find out face to face whats really happened. I say again, face to face. Walked past the Jet* guys and gals in the terminal with a sneer, with out the fortitude to stop and talk. You havent got a leg to stand on. All the hollow vitriol in the world wont change things now.

commander adama
29th May 2004, 23:42
Close the post

Once again hyjacked by 2 morons. Libelious diatribe is being publicised.

Pete Conrad

Learn what the term scab means you ignorant fool. Scab you idiot Scab. Look it up or maybe an ex89 er will fill you in. Knock wood.

Ask half the Impulse pilots what it meant back in 89.

ditzyboy
29th May 2004, 23:45
Whilst I have no opinion on how much any pilot is paid - how does it affect their ability? Would higher pay scale attract pilots who had been flying longer? Perhaps. Yet it still speaks nothing of the abilities of the pilots VQ/JQ have selected. Their willingess to work for a given rate of pay has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with their flying abilities. I would like to see evidence of any correlation.

It is obviously a messy issue and one that brings up strong emotion. And I can see strong arguements on both sides.

But you boys would look less stupid just by calling each other random insults like "bast*rd" or "c*nt". By saying that JQ pilots are dangerous you do yourself the biggest dis-service and lose any credibility your argument had. Not to mention you know at the end of the day it is not true.

We are all welcome to have different opinions. But creating false arguments and trying to damage others' reputations is silly. If you think JQ pilots are doing that by accepting lower pay then let them do it on their own! Whatever you say will make no difference to how much JQ pilots are paid. To rid yourself of this frustration just say the 'C' word a few times - really loud. It always helps for me! :ok:

Pete Conrad
30th May 2004, 00:00
Adama - the real Impulse moronic culture coming out in you. You shouldn't of been so stupid in 89 should you, but now, you scab your way into the Australian workforce and claim to be cleanskinned. Fact is, the 89's as you put them in Impulse are just that - hypocrites that now accept less than what they ever earned and are eroding the conditions of service of people that earned a QF guernsey by hard work, being able and competent.

DM, notice your shy to admit name, rank and serial number? having an attack of the guilts now that your part of an airline that is a total 180 of what you guys fought for in 89?

Chuck Magutzup
30th May 2004, 02:33
Pete's right DM. I've no idea who proplever is either, but then I don't know who YOU are. So, why don't you tell us. If you are going to make snide remarks at others, then come clean. Or quit the hypocracy.

I can't believe that you are still screaming about libel and closing threads, adama. It's an amazing insight into your character though that you cannot seem to match it in this argument. Sad really. I makes me wonder whether proppy is right though, flying with you, if indeed you are a pilot for jetstar, must be very dangerous.

Pilot to adama - "Engine fire number one!"

Adama - "I can't take it - close the thread!"

:mad: :yuk: :ouch: :ooh: :sad: :uhoh:

Please don't start crying, adama. We didn't mean to hurt your feelings!

Doctor Smith
30th May 2004, 03:32
Close the post.....Close this thread.....Libelious diatribe is being publicised.
Nearly every post contains this phrase.

Think its the 'Verbal Critical Reasoning' part you missed out on in the QF S&P Adama:}

Go and buy yourself a thesaurus, do a bit of reading and come back with a decent rebuttal.:}:ok:

commander adama
30th May 2004, 05:10
Doctor Smith

I am for a decent discussion on the pro's and con's of the industry etc. Anyone of decent standing would not support these two morons with their unrelenting attcak on the staff at Jet*. But then again I have been wrong before. Now crawl away and contribute something better than these 2 imbeciles. Not possible? You ever heard of keep it simple stupid? Doctor! The less I type the happier I am.

Why would jet* crew want such venomous hate publicised on a bulletin board? I suspect they have already and are in the process of contacting PPRUNE.

Chuck that was real funny. You must have missed your lifes calling.

Pete's right DM. I've no idea who proplever is either, but then I don't know who YOU are. So, why don't you tell us. If you are going to make snide remarks at others, then come clean. Or quit the hypocracy.

Hey Chuck DM is not out making mindless attacks and insults on individuals.

And remember the rest of the world is reading this as well. Imagine what they must tbe thinking? Anyone from Europe or USA care too add what they think of pilots in Australia.

Chuck Magutzup
30th May 2004, 06:31
adama, buddy, ol pal. I don't recall saying that DM was making mindless attacks on individuals. BUT he did ask proplever to come out of the closet, as it were. I simply suggested that what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Now, YOU, adama, need to read the posts more carefully, lest you get everything wrong! I hope you don't read your manuals the way you read pprune. But then, J* can't afford manuals anyway. And reading isn't your strong suit either. Thats why Qantas turned you down.

Thread closed yet, adama?

Woomera
30th May 2004, 07:08
Jeez,
Wirraway posts a simple excerpt about possible transport difficulties at Avalon, and you lot carry on like a bunch of rabid dogs.:yuk:

I requested previously that you take your personal differences to QREWROOM and post under your real names. I note thate none of you have.

PPRuNe exists as a service to ALL aviation professionals and not just for the exclusive use of the selfish few in the Qantas group that CANNOT SORT OUT THEIR DIFFERENCES FACE-TO-FACE.

Take this as a warning people: If you persist with hijacking threads in this manner you will be banned.

Woomera (Eastern States)

Woomera
31st May 2004, 01:47
As Capt Conrad will find if he tries to access this thread.... :mad: :mad:

Another Woomera