PDA

View Full Version : BA still recognising languages?

thomas_ba
28th May 2004, 22:27
Hi

Just a short note to ask if BA still pay for any foreign languages? I have two and was wondering how much per yr they would pay for that? Also do you still get to wear the flags on your name badges?

Thanx - Thomas :D

worldwidelad
28th May 2004, 23:04
BA no longer pay for languages. There is no testing of language skills either. You can simply tell them which languages you speak and the flag will be put on your name badge

thomas_ba
29th May 2004, 11:54
Are you 100% sure about that? Oh well.... in that case at least you still get to wear the flag though!

Thomas

flyingdutchman
29th May 2004, 12:01
Worldwidelad,

Not quite !

Crew who have taken flag tests in the past still get paid the annual allowance, for as long as their flags are valid.

You are right in as much that no new flag tests are taken.

The annual allowance is £ 104 per flag, before tax, or £ 1 a week after the Chancellor has taken his cut.

:8

worldwidelad
29th May 2004, 12:37
As Thomas_monarch would be a new entrant, I said that BA no longer pay allowances for languages. The fact that they still pay for crew who have been with the company before the changeover occured is irrelevant to him.

Of that I am 100% sure Thomas. :D

thomas_ba
29th May 2004, 13:57
Great - well as long as i would get to wear the two flags on my name badge i'd be happy :D even though i wouldnt get paid for it.

strange cos at Monarch I get £540 a year for 2! oh well nevermind!

T h o m a s :D :)

pips
29th May 2004, 18:31
i flew with a new crew member the other day who is french and i asked her why she didnt have a flag and she said that no new crew have flags put on anymore only crew who before had them get to keep them on but when making an appointment for your new uniform on line it does ask you to put down lwhat flags you need for the badge but i think it only applys to the crew who get language payments not for new entrant crew

worldwidelad
30th May 2004, 00:34
I don't think i KNOW. I am a new entrant. What I have said is correct.

apaddyinuk
14th Jun 2004, 04:16
Yes they are still definately getting the flags on

Im a new entrant too, On day one of training I was asked If I wanted my language flag on mine (of course being a paddy I just had to get my wee tricolour on my name badge) but i do know that a number of new entrants werent ask be it an error or whatever!!!!

Now in the new uniform which Im now in, we order our name badges online and seem to have a million language flags to choose from and no one to question it....was thinking of getting one for Clingon but was a little worried that I may actually get caught out by a passenger on a flight some day!!!! :O