PDA

View Full Version : Laser Interference

mini
28th May 2004, 20:07
Apologies if this Q is daft, but

Why are laser devices (CD players etc) banned on some flights? do they emit RF interference?

Notso Fantastic
28th May 2004, 20:12
Allegedly so. But I think the main attention is given to RF transmitting devices like mobile phones. Things like laptops, PDAs, GPSs, MP3 players, portable CD players look pretty benign and seem to be increasingly accepted, and indeed laptops are encouraged now. The Cabin Crews are not always up to date on what's allowed and tend to ban everything.

square leg
28th May 2004, 21:10
Cheers mini,

There is no such thing as a daft question, BUT there is such a thing as a daft answer.:D

I've noticed that when a cell (mobile) phone is left on in the cockpit, it tends to interfere with the communications systems. I.e. one can hear a crackling noise or noises and that mainly occurs when the phone searches for a new station.

Laptops are no problem whatsoever. We use them in the cockpit (enroute) to prepare loadsheets for the next flight. BUT I don't know too much about CD ROM's in laptops..., what effect they have, that I don't know.

But DO switch off the mobile phone. I think that one can get a jail sentence in Italy for that offence, especially on Airbus aircraft.

Techman
29th May 2004, 00:01
I beg to differ, there such a thing as a daft question, but this is not one of them.

I believe it is the pulse generator in those laser devices that can cause the interference.

Interestingly radio recievers are also said to be able to cause interference. So a standard FM radio is probably more of a danger than a CD player.

paulo
29th May 2004, 09:24
Commander's rules always apply and live mobiles are a useless risk, but point of note is that Lufthansa are now heavily promoting WiFi on certain routes. The any-RF-will-kill-us-all idea is disappearing.